PDA

View Full Version : Full detailing procedure

Pages : [1] 2

Jaap
04-23-2014, 11:17 PM
Hello,

I am getting into the passion of car detailing and I would like to understand the whole process of detailing my car for the first time. I will do this by hand with help from friends. This is what I think and please correct me:

1. Wash
2. Clay detailing
3. Remove small scratches and etchings with Meguiars UC
4. Remove swirls
5. Polish the whole car (maybe the polish removes swirls so 4 isn't needed?)
6. Sealant
7. Wax
8. Wax deatilling spray as final touch

Please correct my procedure and also recommend products for each step since I am clueless :)

Thanks

theblob640
04-23-2014, 11:36 PM
You can pretty much delete step 4 because if you are using UC, it will most likely get most if not all of the swirls out. Polish will just refine your paint after the compounding step.

EVOlved
04-23-2014, 11:36 PM
3 and 5 would take care of swirls. Add a iron decon product in their especially on light colored vehicles before the clay and your good to go. You can also eliminate 7 and 8 or 6 and 8 depending on your LSP of choice.

Jaap
04-24-2014, 12:26 AM
3 and 5 would take care of swirls. Add a iron decon product in their especially on light colored vehicles before the clay and your good to go. You can also eliminate 7 and 8 or 6 and 8 depending on your LSP of choice.

My car is a Volvo S40 balck metallic paint...what is an iron decon?

BradsDetailing
04-24-2014, 12:29 AM
iron x

Jaap
04-24-2014, 01:24 AM
Ok thanks!

Even though some people say 6 7 or 8 can be excluded, I prefer to do a complete list for academic purposes:

1. Wash
2. Iron Decon detailing - Iron X
3. Wash
4. Clay Detailing - Product?
5. Compound Detailing - Meguiar's UC
6. Polish - Product?
7. Sealant - Product?
8. Wax - Product?
9. Wax detailling spray as final touch - Product?

trekkeruss
04-24-2014, 01:37 AM
Ok thanks!

Even though some people say 6 7 or 8 can be excluded, I prefer to do a complete list for academic purposes:

1. Wash
2. Iron Decon detailing - Iron X
3. Wash
4. Clay Detailing - Product?
5. Compound Detailing - Meguiar's UC
6. Polish - Product?
7. Sealant - Product?
8. Wax - Product?
9. Wax detailling spray as final touch - Product?

For #3 and #4, you could use the very popular Optimum No Rinse; it can also double as a clay lube. For clay, Pinnacle seems to be the popular choice. You can also use a clay substitute. The Nanoskin Speedy Prep Sponge is inexpensive.

If you like Meg's UC, they make Ultimate Polish too. Heck, you can use all Meg's Ultimate products; UC, UP, and Ultimate Wax (which is really a sealant). Top it with Meg's #26 wax. The nice thing about those products...besides working well...is that they are sold everywhere. They are not expensive either.

I don't see any point in #9, but a spray wax is good for topping off after maintenance washes. Of course Meg's makes an Ultimate spray wax.

brondondolon
04-24-2014, 01:59 AM
Hello,

I am getting into the passion of car detailing and I would like to understand the whole process of detailing my car for the first time. I will do this by hand with help from friends. This is what I think and please correct me:

1. Wash
2. Clay detailing
3. Remove small scratches and etchings with Meguiars UC
4. Remove swirls
5. Polish the whole car (maybe the polish removes swirls so 4 isn't needed?)
6. Sealant
7. Wax
8. Wax deatilling spray as final touch

Please correct my procedure and also recommend products for each step since I am clueless :)

Thanks

Although compounding by hand can be done it's a very labor intensive process and time consuming. Your best bet is to pick up the harbor freight DA polisher for around $50 if you are tight on money.

For your LSP you can't go wrong with collinite. It has such a strong following because it's such a great product.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Jaap
04-24-2014, 02:20 AM
What does LSP mean and which exact product of collinite are you talking about brondondolon?

Sorry I am new here...

Furthermore, do I have to do all steps the same day or can I do them separately on my own time?

Saturnhusker
04-24-2014, 02:52 AM
LSP is last step product & collinite 845 is what I have used and it's awesome a lil will go a long way. You can probably do a dozen cars with a bottle of 845.

Jaap
04-24-2014, 04:00 AM
So its basically my step 9 in the list above?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

KBsToy
04-24-2014, 05:00 AM
iron x

:dblthumb2: Did this on my white Camaro...Wooo did the purple spots come out...rinsed then went on to next step. Use in well ventilated area..

Prep, Prep, Prep to get the shine you want :)

BobbyG
04-24-2014, 06:07 AM
If you'd like some product suggestions that perform, take a look at these. I guarantee they will not disappoint...

Wash - Duragloss #901
Clay - Meguiar's
Compound - Menzerna FG-400
Polish - Menzerna PF-2500
Finishing Polish - Menzerna SF-4000
Sealant - Wolf's Hard Body Sealant
Wax - Collinite 845
Spray Wax - Optimum Car Wax
Tire Cleaner - Meguiar's Super Degreaser
Wheel Cleaner - PoorBoy's Spray & Rinse
Tire Treatment - CarPro PERL
Wheel Protectant - Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0
Trim Protectant - CarPro DLux
All Purpose Cleaner - Optimum Power Clean
Glass Cleaner - Meguiar's Glass Cleaner
Glass Treatment - Aquapel
Interior Protectant - Meguiar's M40

In the event you decide to do some paint correction, here's some information on pads.

Foam Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-edge-pads.html)

Yellow Cutting Foam - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Orange Light Cutting Foam - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all-around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Gray Finishing Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

Jaap
04-24-2014, 06:21 AM
If you'd like some product suggestions that perform, take a look at these. I guarantee they will not disappoint...

Wash - Duragloss #901
Clay - Meguiar's
Compound - Menzerna FG-400
Polish - Menzerna PF-2500
Finishing Polish - Menzerna SF-4000
Sealant - Wolf's Hard Body Sealant
Wax - Collinite 845
Spray Wax - Optimum Car Wax
Tire Cleaner - Meguiar's Super Degreaser
Wheel Cleaner - PoorBoy's Spray & Rinse
Tire Treatment - CarPro PERL
Wheel Protectant - Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0
Trim Protectant - CarPro DLux
All Purpose Cleaner - Optimum Power Clean
Glass Cleaner - Meguiar's Glass Cleaner
Glass Treatment - Aquapel
Interior Protectant - Meguiar's M40

In the event you decide to do some paint correction, here's some information on pads.

Foam Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-edge-pads.html)

Yellow Cutting Foam - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Orange Light Cutting Foam - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all-around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Gray Finishing Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

Thanks alot for the answer! Could you please tell me what pad I should use for these: please have in mind, no machine, all by hand
1. Iron Decon detailing
2. Compound Detailing for etcings and swirls
3. Polish
4. Sealant
5. Wax
6. Wax detailing spray as final touch

Thanks

BobbyG
04-24-2014, 06:34 AM
Thanks alot for the answer! Could you please tell me what pad I should use for these: please have in mind, no machine, all by hand
1. Iron Decon detailing
2. Compound Detailing for etchings and swirls
3. Polish
4. Sealant
5. Wax
6. Wax detailing spray as final touch
Thanks

I copied this directly from the web page as it does a great job at explaining what each are used for.

Compounds - Orange
Polish - White
Sealants - Red & Gold
Wax - Red & Gold
Spray Wax - Microfiber towel

The Euro Foam Hand Polish Applicators (http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-foam-hand-applicators.html) are available in these foam varieties:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/orange-handapp.jpg Orange Light Cutting Applicator – The orange foam is the most popular type of foam used in making buffing pads. It has a texture like memory foam but denser. It can be used to remove light to moderate swirls with little or no loss of surface gloss. Use a light swirl remover, such as XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover 1 or XMT Fine Swirl Remover 2. In most cases, you can go straight to wax application with the red applicator. Use the orange pad for spot correction or on the entire vehicle.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/white-handapp.jpg White Polishing Applicator – For general polishing and pre-wax cleaning, we recommend the white polishing foam. This is one of the most versatile foam compositions. Use it to apply finishing polishes, pre-wax cleaners, and all in one products, for example Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or Klasse All In One. The foam is less dense than the orange pad. It has just enough density to help clean and polish the paint, but it will not produce haze.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/red-handapp.jpg Red Ultra Soft Finishing Applicator – The red foam is designed specifically for the application of waxes, sealants, and glazes. It has no cut or cleaning ability. The soft foam will not leave any haze and it is gentle on all automotive surfaces. Use the red foam applicator with any last step product to product a smooth, flawless finish.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/gold-app-200w.jpg
Gold Jewelling Applicator - Use the gold pad to apply a very fine polish or glaze as the final step of the polishing process. Jewelling is the term coined for this step because it intensifies gloss and reflectivity, like a jewel. The gold foam pad also works well for wax and sealant application.