PDA

View Full Version : To wet sand or not to wet sand?

LUV4MY5
07-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Getting ready to do an exterior detail on a 98 Oldsmobile 88 this weekend and I have a question. From what the owner tells me, when he bought the car the PO had some scratches on the car and tried to fill them with a paint correction pen. First off, the color doesn't even match the paint. http://images.bimmerforums.com/smilies/confused.gif He wants me to do a complete clay, polish and wax. My question is, what would be the best method of removing the correction paint without making it a harder job for myself? Would I be able to just use a heavy cut pad with heavy cut polish, or am I going have to wet sand each individual area. This stuff is all over the car. He practically repainted the whole dang car with this stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Brandon

pt91
07-19-2007, 10:27 PM
a solvent will remove the touch up paint. i think they are all lacquer which is different from the oem paintl.
this is the basis of how langka works.
no need to wet sand to remove the blobs.

supercharged
07-19-2007, 10:30 PM
:Picture:
Keep in mind that you will need a rotary with compound to remove wet sanding marks later on.

LUV4MY5
07-19-2007, 10:36 PM
a solvent will remove the touch up paint. i think they are all lacquer which is different from the oem paintl.
this is the basis of how langka works.
no need to wet sand to remove the blobs.

Would the 3M Adhesive, wax and mark remover suffice or something stronger?

pt91
07-19-2007, 10:53 PM
if i remember correctly it is lacquer thinner. do a search on langka and you should get some info.

LUV4MY5
07-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Got it... Thanks for the help. Hopefully it works.

HighEndDetail
07-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Try and see how the clay will work on it. I have taken off paint touch up's before with it.

ltoman
07-20-2007, 08:13 AM
I'd like to see the before photo!

LUV4MY5
07-20-2007, 10:20 AM
I'd like to see the before photo!

I'm definitely going to take some before photos. He's off of work today, so I'll probably drive over and snap some pics this weekend. All the spots are actually pretty amusing.