PDA

View Full Version : Starting clean || CG citrus wash and gloss to strip waxes off? or other?

Lumi
04-23-2014, 06:58 PM
Hey guys, so my last order, i order citrus wash and gloss thinking at a high dilution ratio i can use it to strip wax, but CG doesnt state this on their website or the bottle.
My old citrus wash did state a 1oz to 1 gallon to strip wax, but not this new wash and gloss..

What do you guys think i should do, i was gonna tackle detailing my car this weekend.. Doesnt need clay, just a simple wash and blacklight + 50/50 was on my list..

Should i just use dawn to wash to make sure everything is stripped, or use wash and gloss at a high dilution even though doesnt state it can strip anything?

ski2
04-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Do a search for "LSP Stripping" This has been discussed quite a bit recently and testing has shown that Dawn or Cirtrus Wash and Gloss does not strip most LSPs.

wdmaccord
04-23-2014, 07:06 PM
CG Citrus Wash Red would be better than W&G. But yah, LSP's don't come off real easy. Just did a car last weekend that I had sealed with Coll 845 in September. Still had beading after foamer of CG CW Red, rinse, foamer w/ mitt wash.

Tato
04-23-2014, 07:42 PM
I'd start with CG, or Meg's Hyper wash in slightly higher dilution,

but like I've said, I'd 'start with'.

Then you'll clay, then you'll polish, and at that point you'll be sure LSP went away.

Or you may use a paint cleaner like a Coating Prep. polish and/or alike.

That's just my 0.02$.

Kind Regards.

Andr3wilson
04-23-2014, 07:54 PM
CG bug and tar remover soap certainly does!

crober53
04-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Wax and grease remover mixed with quick detailer does.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AG Online

Chris@AutoCleanse
04-23-2014, 08:02 PM
I believe the citrus wash red is being dropped from the chemical guys line, no longer on website for sale. Talked to some lady today and she confirmed it was being discontinued.

FUNX650
04-23-2014, 08:07 PM
I agree with ski2's assessment (post#2).

So, IMHO:
You might as well just go through with this plan of yours:
"i was gonna tackle detailing my car this weekend.. Doesnt need clay, just a simple wash and blacklight + 50/50 was on my list.."

Why do I say this?

Since Blacklight is an AIO:
It will effectively remove the remnants of whatever
Wax-LSP that is currently on the vehicle.

Bob

Lumi
04-23-2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys..

Yup, the citrus wash alone has been dropped by chemical guys, so they basically dont have a shampoo to strip any longer, i though citrus wash and gloss would be similar but it isnt unfortunately, but im sure it has alot of power.

I dont like doing a IPA whipe down on black cars, that is why i thought trying a soap stripper of some kind would work better.

I agree with ski2's assessment (post#2).

So, IMHO:
You might as well just go through with this plan of yours:
"i was gonna tackle detailing my car this weekend.. Doesnt need clay, just a simple wash and blacklight + 50/50 was on my list.."

Why do I say this?

Since Blacklight is an AIO:
It will effectively remove the remnants of whatever
Wax-LSP that is currently on the vehicle.

Bob

Umm, i didnt even think of this.. Good point!
The only thing that is on my paint is poorboys nattys red wax.

EVOlved
04-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys..

Yup, the citrus wash alone has been dropped by chemical guys, so they basically dont have a shampoo to strip any longer, i though citrus wash and gloss would be similar but it isnt unfortunately, but im sure it has alot of power.

I dont like doing a IPA whipe down on black cars, that is why i thought trying a soap stripper of some kind would work better.

Umm, i didnt even think of this.. Good point!
The only thing that is on my paint is poorboys nattys red wax.

With Bob or Tato's suggestion it does not matter what is currently on the car it will be removed. The paint cleaner or AIO will take care of it. Which is the proper way to apply a new LSP to get optimal results.

Tato
04-23-2014, 09:14 PM
You're welcome.

Although my reply was more towards 'general stripping', Bob's answer were more towards your question, and AIO may have enough cleaners to do the job by itself.

I'm sorry for misreading (or reading too fast) your question.

Why don't clay? Clay that car my friend! It'll thank you with glassy reflections at the end.

Kind Regards.

ski2
04-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Yup, the citrus wash alone has been dropped by chemical guys, .

It is my understanding that the original Citrus Wash is still available, it's just not on the CG website so you have to call and request it. I have a source that has it in stock with very favorable shipping rates--if you're interested PM me and I'll provide the info.

However, the Citrus Wash with a long dwell time will not remove durable sealants (it may work on waxes, but I haven't tested it). I've been using it for years as part of my spring detail thinking it removed the existing sealants. Last year after using the Citrus Wash with a 5-10 minute dwell time the paint had no beading or sheeting capabilities, but after a quick wipe with IPA the beading and sheeting were back. As PiPuk suggests the IPA removes the surfactants that make it appear there is no sealant on the surface.

That being said I still use it during my spring detail as it cleans the car really well of winters crap before I move on to polishing.