PDA

View Full Version : I finally tried the Rupes pads

Pages : [1] 2

Methodical
04-22-2014, 08:22 PM
and I am a convert. I tested the Rupes 21 with the waffle pads and the hex logic pads and I'm now convinced that the best pads to use with the Rupes is the Rupes pads. The machine is much better balanced with the Rupes pads than with the others, especially the waffle pads. The hex logics were not that bad, but still no comparison to the Rupes when it comes to balance.

I just had enough time to test the white pad and the diamond polish on vehicle's hood. This combination removed some left behind bird droppings (clayed, but a stain was left behind), some light water marks and fine scratches, plus it left a beautiful shine. The machine just glide over the paint with no effort on my part, except guiding.

Al

Mastercraft241
04-22-2014, 09:00 PM
I'm with you.... Made a thread about this couple days ago. Night and day difference!! Try the mf pads you won't be disappointed.

dan45hk
04-22-2014, 09:05 PM
I read that regular pads work just fine. Maybe, but Rupes pads work a whole lot better.

Mastercraft241
04-22-2014, 09:43 PM
I read that regular pads work just fine. Maybe, but Rupes pads work a whole lot better.

The best way I can explain the rupes pads (or rupes system (polishes/pads)) is if your a weekend warrior and you want to take the guessing game out of what works and you just want to enjoy detailing, get the rupes system (given money is not a big issue). If your a professional detailer I can see the rupes system being a tad much given a specific skill set already acquired as many professionals on this forum are.:dblthumb2:

Faris63
04-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Rupes pads are the best, I've used LC pads when I first got my Rupes 21ES it didn't work for me few days later I got Rupes pads green, yellow, white it worked really good with my skills (beginner) I'm selling my Rupes 21ES downgrading for Duetto

AeroCleanse
04-24-2014, 02:29 PM
I've only used the Rupes MF pads. Wow they are amazing.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-24-2014, 03:10 PM
I've only used the Rupes MF pads. Wow they are amazing.
They don't contour for beans.

wompasaurus
04-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Can anyone who's used the rupes with their pads meguiars mf pads and lake county flat pads comment on a difference in vibration and side jogging with then rupes mf pads? I love my meguiars mf pads but the machine did tend to want to walk away even when completely flat on the paint

Mastercraft241
04-24-2014, 05:32 PM
Can anyone who's used the rupes with their pads meguiars mf pads and lake county flat pads comment on a difference in vibration and side jogging with then rupes mf pads? I love my meguiars mf pads but the machine did tend to want to walk away even when completely flat on the paint
Sure, I'm a good canidate for this one. Up front, let me say that I am by no means a professional detailer. I still have much to learn. This being said, the rupes machine with rupes pad is a night and day difference from the meguiars. It is much easier to handle, you can essentially take one hand off the machine and glide it with no pressure. The only downside (very slight slight downside), is the pads do not have "give" to them as five points mentioned and it does not cut as much as the meguiars mf pads. For me, i put the meguiars mf pads in storage and only using my rupes pads for now on. If I come across a vehicle that needs more cut ill take them out. The blue rupes MF pads with zephir cut my audi clear pretty easily.

Zelfiris
04-24-2014, 11:50 PM
I have own the 15ES since last year and used it with other products. Today, I finally got the chance to use it with rupes foam pad and polishes. I also own the Rupes mini and had a chance to used it too.

I have to say, on flat horizontal panels it requires no pressure at all and the ease of use was wonderful. But when it to curvy sections of my trunk, the pads did not spin as well so the finish reflected how much was corrected. At lower speed (2-3), the 15ES started to hop as if I was dry polishing so I added a spritz of XMT conditoner and that did not changed. I decided to bump up the speed to 5 and the hopping went away.

On vertical panels, the performance went down hill. I had a hard time getting the green and yellow pad to sit flat on the rear fender. The dusting was crazy too (at this point I used Zephir). The pads were not spinning consistently as I did my cross sectional passes. I tried tilting the polisher at different angles to remedy the gap but not much luck.

Today was my trial run at using the mini and rupes as a system so I'm still trying to figure things out and I was doing test spots to look for the optimal combination. I believe the weather played a major role for polishing performance. I polished in the shade at 12 degrees Celsius (53 Fahrenheit) and that have dried out the compound/polish which could have cause the pads to dry up and harden.

I will be continuing the work in a friend's garage on Saturday (more controlled temperature) and I will report back the results. I love my Rupes polisher and had excellent results with other pads/polishes so Im confident the Rupes system will be similar, if not, better :D

aztec1987
04-25-2014, 12:51 AM
I am going to try to get rid of my PC 7424 and move on to a Rupes

Methodical
04-25-2014, 01:31 AM
I have own the 15ES since last year and used it with other products. Today, I finally got the chance to use it with rupes foam pad and polishes. I also own the Rupes mini and had a chance to used it too.

I have to say, on flat horizontal panels it requires no pressure at all and the ease of use was wonderful. But when it to curvy sections of my trunk, the pads did not spin as well so the finish reflected how much was corrected. At lower speed (2-3), the 15ES started to hop as if I was dry polishing so I added a spritz of XMT conditoner and that did not changed. I decided to bump up the speed to 5 and the hopping went away.

On vertical panels, the performance went down hill. I had a hard time getting the green and yellow pad to sit flat on the rear fender. The dusting was crazy too (at this point I used Zephir). The pads were not spinning consistently as I did my cross sectional passes. I tried tilting the polisher at different angles to remedy the gap but not much luck.

Today was my trial run at using the mini and rupes as a system so I'm still trying to figure things out and I was doing test spots to look for the optimal combination. I believe the weather played a major role for polishing performance. I polished in the shade at 12 degrees Celsius (53 Fahrenheit) and that have dried out the compound/polish which could have cause the pads to dry up and harden.

I will be continuing the work in a friend's garage on Saturday (more controlled temperature) and I will report back the results. I love my Rupes polisher and had excellent results with other pads/polishes so Im confident the Rupes system will be similar, if not, better :D

I just run mine a 6 and it seems it likes a little bit of pressure.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-25-2014, 01:41 AM
Try B&S 5.5" MF cutting pads on the Duetto. They work VERY well, IME.

I'm gonna order the same pads, but in 6.5" for my LHR21.

Methodical
04-27-2014, 12:35 PM
I forgot the mention that the Rupes finishing pad (white) is much firmer than the typical gray finishing pads, but man does it shine with this pad.

...At lower speed (2-3), the 15ES started to hop as if I was dry polishing so I added a spritz of XMT conditoner and that did not changed. I decided to bump up the speed to 5 and the hopping went away...

Interesting. I never go below 4 when using these machines for removing scratches, swirls, etc. The only time I use 2-3 settings is to spread the product on the paint (2 setting) and to apply sealant or wax to the paint and that's usually at 3.

I am going to try to get rid of my PC 7424 and move on to a Rupes

Why not keep both?

Quality Control
04-27-2014, 12:56 PM
You guys using the rupes polishes at all? I really like the idea of the pads and polishes matching. I know you can mix and match but its nice to have one system for simplicities sake.

Problem being is the price. I am now looking for a 21 and 75, but with pads and product, I am at a grand by the time I add a few other little items.