PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for my cart

mightypudge
04-22-2014, 05:36 PM
Now that I've had the opportunity to get my hands on a DA polisher, I'm itching to start practicing on my wife's Subaru. This car needs some serious TLC.

I took advantage of local deal and picked up the Harbor Freight DA for $47. While I would have loved to spend hundreds of dollars on a polisher, I can't justify the cost given my lack of experience. I'm also not planning on working on anyone else's cars but ours, and speed is not a necessity, so going "all in" seemed excessive. But I digress.

Obviously a polisher alone will not do the work. I need backing plates, pads, etc. I'm considering the process below.

Wash:
ONR

Prep:
Iron X
Nanoskin Autoscrub fine grade
ONR as clay lubricant

Heavy Correction:
M105
CG 5.5" Hexlogic orange pads

Polishing:
M205
CG 5.5" Hexlogic white pads

Sealant:
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Wax:
Collinite 845 or Son1c 93

I want to pick up a 3M 5" backing plate and LC 3" backing plate for tighter spots. Which 3" pads would work best?

mightypudge
04-22-2014, 05:37 PM
I already know what I'm using on the tires. Wolfgang Tire Gel, worked nicely on the Mustang.

The wheels are unfortunately a mess. Thinking about Plasti-dip on them suckers.

KMG
04-22-2014, 05:52 PM
I use LC flat pads for all my foam pads. I am planning to try out the megs mf polishing pads this weekend however.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

DogRescuer
04-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Ive got to say although Ive only been doing this (detailing ) for a year I have to say IMO 105 is tuff for a beginner like us to tame, so I fell in love with Menz 400

CDot
04-22-2014, 09:12 PM
I took advantage of local deal and picked up the Harbor Freight DA for $47. While I would have loved to spend hundreds of dollars on a polisher, I can't justify the cost given my lack of experience.

Obviously a polisher alone will not do the work. I need backing plates, pads, etc. I'm considering the process below.

Wash:
ONR
I suggest getting a regular car shampoo as well: Duragloss 901 is the cat's meow, Chemical Guys Mr. Pink is really good, and Optimum Car Wash is one of the best.

Prep:
Iron X
ONR as clay lubricant

Heavy Correction:
M105 (I'd go with Meg's Ultimate Compound, it's the "user-friendly" version of 105 and there is little to no dusting)
CG 5.5" Hexlogic orange pads

Polishing:
M205 (I'd purchase Meg's Ultimate Polish, it's the "user-friendly" version of 205)
CG 5.5" Hexlogic white pads

Sealant:

Wax:
Collinite 845 or Son1c 93

I want to pick up a 3M 5" backing plate and LC 3" backing plate for tighter spots. Which 3" pads would work best?

I got the HF DA as well since I only work on my/wife's car. See my suggestions in red. You cannot go wrong with Colli 845, trust me.

davey g-force
04-22-2014, 09:30 PM
I agree with using UC instead of M105 for a beginner.

But IMO the M205 is "user friendly" enough...

Levithan9
04-22-2014, 10:21 PM
You really REALLY need to pick up some Menzerna fg 400 and some sf4000. I used m105 when I painted my car, and it was a ##### to use. Since the trim and windows were still taped up, I went hog wild on a rotary buffer. It took a whole bottle, but I got the results I wanted. I had orange peel extremely bad due to having an inexperienced employee hand me the wrong reducer.

Use m105 at your own risk. But I can guarantee you, your going to get real frustrated at the incredible short working time and the dusting your going to get.

Now the Menzerna is a completely different story. You can work sf4000 like a $5 hooker on two-for-one night. It goes on great, and finishes even better.

I also started on the HF DA 2 years ago, and mine is still going strong. Get rid of the backing plate that comes with it. It will destroy any pad you put on it. I ordered a Hex Logic pad set from amazon, and they hold up great.

I will give you a word of warning: be wary of the path you are about to walk down. Detailing is addictive. Soon, you'll get a small McCulloch steamer. Then that won't be enough, and a vx5000 will soon be on your list. You'll buy 5 different interior detail sprays, just so you can "try" them out. Then microfiber towels, waxes, sealants, applicator pads, compounds, different pads, different sizes, new hot water extractor, and then a professional DA.

Ask me how I know...

Kengo123
04-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Get Meg's mf cutting pads instead of foam.. They last longer and you can literally get away with owning only 2 pads. Also you can get a more efficient cut, making your HF da that much better

Kengo123
04-22-2014, 11:20 PM
Also ultimate compound, as others have suggested, is severely overlooked in my opinion. That goes for the whole ultimate line.. Compound, polish, ultimate liquid wax... All very solid choices that you can pick up locally. With ultimate compound and the mf cutting discs along with the power of the HF da, you can handle quite a bit.

Eric
04-22-2014, 11:40 PM
My suggestions:

- Don't buy the hexlogic pads. Get the LC flat pads instead. They are much better.

- Deep Gloss Paint Sealant looks great. No point in topping it.

mightypudge
04-23-2014, 05:47 AM
Thanks all. So with the advice I received here is my edited selection:

Wash:
ONR

Prep:
Iron X
ONR as clay lubricant

Heavy Correction:
Menzerna SF4000
LC Flat Pad - Orange or Meg's MF Cutting Disc

Polishing:
Menzerna FG400
LC Flat Pad - White

Sealant:

How's this looking? :)

I already have CG Citrus Wash if I need to do a true wash instead of waterless/rinseless. But since I live in an apartment complex with no outside water flow and water restrictions, two bucket rinseless is my first option.

BobbyG
04-23-2014, 05:51 AM
Thanks all. So with the advice I received here is my edited selection:

Wash:
ONR

Prep:
Iron X
ONR as clay lubricant

Heavy Correction:
Menzerna SF4000
LC Flat Pad - Orange or Meg's MF Cutting Disc

Polishing:
Menzerna FG400
LC Flat Pad - White

Sealant:

How's this looking? :)

I already have CG Citrus Wash if I need to do a true wash instead of waterless/rinseless. But since I live in an apartment complex with no outside water flow and water restrictions, two bucket rinseless is my first option.

Heavy Correction: Menzerna FG-400

Polishing - Menzerna SF-4000

mightypudge
04-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Heavy Correction: Menzerna FG-400

Polishing - Menzerna SF-4000

Thanks for catching that Bobby.