PDA

View Full Version : Question about PBW SSR2.5

Chrono
04-22-2014, 08:28 AM
To test a new bottle of SSR2.5, I used an Orange pad and the polish by hand on a small rectangular taped-off area. The idea was to do this test by hand before I use my new Griots buffer.

The polish instilled more swirls than were originally there. These new swirls were finer and much closer in pitch, but still ugly. Menzerna 2500 took care of the SSR2.5 swirls. The end result was slightly better than what I started with, but I shouldn't have needed the Menz.

The swirls were much more severe than what I'm used to using 3M compound, which I would assume is more aggresive than SSR2.5. (?)

SSR2.5 is a popular and respected product, so I'm wondering what I could have done wrong. The surface was prepped with Spray & Wipe because it wasn't dirty. The panel had been clayed a month ago.

Maybe the product wasn't mixed properly and I got too many rocks.

Setec Astronomy
04-22-2014, 08:38 AM
I always liked SSR2.5. It is a DAT polish, and since you were working by hand, did you break it down enough?

Chrono
04-22-2014, 08:43 AM
I always liked SSR2.5. It is a DAT polish, and since you were working by hand, did you break it down enough?

Good point. I doubt I broke it down enough. The pad was moist with S&W and the polish never really became dry or dusted.

With a mechanical polish, if you stop too soon, in the middle of the process, should you expect swirls, or just a general lack of results?

Setec Astronomy
04-22-2014, 09:08 AM
With a diminishing abrasive, it starts with larger particles which break down into smaller (er..diminish into smaller) particles. If you don't break it down all the way, you can leave artifacts from the large particles that aren't removed because you didn't break them down into small particles.

That's one of the reasons people like SMAT (non-diminishing) polishes. Of course my bottle of SSR2.5 is old and I don't know if yours is different (changed formula).

To your question, should you expect swirls? That all depends how hard the paint is, what color, how bad it was to begin with, this will all play into how the results are perceived. As Todd Helme pointed out during one of his Detail Fest seminars, polishing will always cause surface scratches, it just depends how small they are as to whether you can see them (I probably butchered that quote).

Chrono
04-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Great information Setec, I thank you very much!

I can't wait to start up the new DA and give this SSR a proper break down. I think I also used too much product for the 8" by 6" area, and it never had a chance to break down. I bought a machine polish on purpose because I need something stronger than the Menz PF, and I've liked all of PBW's stuff so far.

Chrono
04-25-2014, 12:00 AM
The SSR2.5 is working fine with the DA :props: It breaks down readily at speed 5. A bit messy, but I guess that's a DAT polish for you. I don't think it can be broken down by hand, but I'm no arm wrestler either.

2shiny
04-25-2014, 12:08 AM
Why is ir messy? Ssr 2.5 is one of my favourit polishes. Will do the job 80% of the times

Chrono
04-25-2014, 12:19 AM
Well, being new to the DA, I guess it's common, but the dusting that gets on other panels. I've heard M105 is worse.

allenk4
04-25-2014, 01:16 AM
The SSR2.5 is working fine with the DA :props: It breaks down readily at speed 5. A bit messy, but I guess that's a DAT polish for you. I don't think it can be broken down by hand, but I'm no arm wrestler either.

DAT should be no more "messy" than SMAT.

Some say that M105 (SMAT) produces the most dust.

I suspect that you may be using too much product.

Here is some advice from Mike Phillips:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html

Have Fun!