PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant for painted alloy wheels?

puma1824
04-22-2014, 07:26 AM
I've a read a ton of reviews for Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS), as result I've purchased a bottle. Hopefully this week I'll be able to get around and start using it on my trim. I also read along the way the it can be used for metal as well. Does anyone have any experience with WETS on painted alloy wheels? If so or known, how's it compare to using a dedicated wheel wax?

Thanks.

Angus
04-22-2014, 09:46 AM
WETS is great stuff when it's used under conditions it was designed for. I purposefully chose "conditions" because if you think about what a rim is exposed to: temperature extremes, brake dust, pot holes, curbs... products designed specifically for rim need to stand up to very harsh conditions. I'd save the WETS, skip wheel waxes, and pick up some Detailer's Wheel Coating

Detailer’s Wheel Coating, wheel wax, wheel sealant, brake dust repellent (http://www.autogeek.net/wheel-coating.html)

I tried different products not intended for rims (ie Collinite 845, WGDGPS) with less then satisfactory results before landing on DWC - it's the only thing that I've used that keep my BMW rims easy to maintain and looking new for months on end. It's pricey, but a little goes a long way, so i can see a bottle lasting quite a while.

puma1824
04-22-2014, 11:22 AM
WETS is great stuff when it's used under conditions it was designed for. I purposefully chose "conditions" because if you think about what a rim is exposed to: temperature extremes, brake dust, pot holes, curbs... products designed specifically for rim need to stand up to very harsh conditions. I'd save the WETS, skip wheel waxes, and pick up some Detailer's Wheel Coating

Detailer’s Wheel Coating, wheel wax, wheel sealant, brake dust repellent (http://www.autogeek.net/wheel-coating.html)

I tried different products not intended for rims (ie Collinite 845, WGDGPS) with less then satisfactory results before landing on DWC - it's the only thing that I've used that keep my BMW rims easy to maintain and looking new for months on end. It's pricey, but a little goes a long way, so i can see a bottle lasting quite a while.

Thanks. I'll look into the DP wheel cleaner, had a little sticker shock at first but as you said, I'm sure a little goes a long way in is better in the long run. I just need to decide.

Angus
04-22-2014, 01:02 PM
There's a ton of sticker shock in this hobby!! ha. Yeah, I resisted for months buying the DP Wheel Coating until there was a sale to take advantage of.

Speaking of off-label uses, yesterday Todd Helme posted an article on Autopia about headlight polishing using DP's Headlight kit and DP Wheel Coating as a longer lasting headlight sealant:

Headlight Polishing Made TOO Easy?!?! - Detailers All In One Headlight Restoration Polish vs. oxidized headlights - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/auto-detailing-101/45090-headlight-polishing-made-too-easy-detailers-all-one-headlight-restoration-polish-vs-oxidized-headlights.html)

Not owning a dedicated headlight sealant this idea really jump out at me having just clean up my DD headlights w/ Meg's PlastX. Can't wait to try it out tonight after a quick prep polish!!