PDA

View Full Version : Which wax to make flake pop and add depth!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

EVOlved
04-22-2014, 12:41 AM
So I recently applied SON1C Protowax 93 to my car and love the depth it added, and way it made the flake pop. But as this wax is only a prototype I may not be able to get more of it. Looking for suggestions on what waxes you guys would use? For some reason I keep looking at the wet ice over fire kit. But I am wide open to any ideas you have.

Feed back please

FUNX650
04-22-2014, 01:00 AM
I, too, was once pleased with a particular SON1C prototype-wax.
Not too long afterwards: CARNAUBAVORE WAX came to fruition.

In the interim I was not dismayed, and turned my eyes towards the LSP that has never disappointed me with it's "Best In Class" D.O.I.: Meguiar's M26!

I will not discourage you, or anyone else for that matter, in using M26 now; until "93's" incarnation has occurred; or even after its advent.

IMHO: M26...Good Stuff!!

Bob

Prophizee
04-22-2014, 01:02 AM
[QUOTE=EVOlved;1087653]So I recently applied SON1C Protowax 93 to my car and love the depth it added, and way it made the flake pop. But as this wax is only a prototype I may not be able to get more of it. Looking for suggestions on what waxes you guys would use? For some reason I keep looking at the wet ice over fire kit. But I am wide open to any ideas you have.

Pinnacle SSii wax is awesome for flake. Also WG Fuzion really makes flake pop. Personally I feel Pinnacle one is better but that's just me. Good luck on your search

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

brondondolon
04-22-2014, 01:14 AM
I have a 09 ram in metallic black I've tried a bunch of different products and my favorite is Chemical Guys Backlight topped with collinite. It took me a while to jump on the collinite bandwagon but I'm so glad I did.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

HD.Detailing
04-22-2014, 07:11 AM
I use the BF kit.. But I'm of the belief that proper polishing will give you the look and all the toppers are just to preserve.

Sent from my Alien ship

DogRescuer
04-22-2014, 07:27 AM
I like keeping it simple and Ive learned so much here so that said I have no experience with the waxes you speak of but what I do to acheive max shine and wetness is prep prep prep and polish polish polish that's where your "shine" comes from as Ive learned imo

GS2011
04-22-2014, 07:41 AM
Wolfgang Fuzion :xyxthumbs:

EVOlved
04-22-2014, 08:36 AM
I, too, was once pleased with a particular SON1C prototype-wax.
Not too long afterwards: CARNAUBAVORE WAX came to fruition.

In the interim I was not dismayed, and turned my eyes towards the LSP that has never disappointed me with it's "Best In Class" D.O.I.: Meguiar's M26!

I will not discourage you, or anyone else for that matter, in using M26 now; until "93's" incarnation has occurred; or even after its advent.

IMHO: M26...Good Stuff!!

Bob

I feel accomplished in life now I got a real response out of Bob!! Thank you Bob. I may have to check it out, how is the longevity of it?

I use the BF kit.. But I'm of the belief that proper polishing will give you the look and all the toppers are just to preserve.

Sent from my Alien ship

I understand all that, just with this wax vs. my previous LSP I notice much more life in the paint and I didn't even repolish ;).

Loser
04-22-2014, 09:22 AM
I did some searching regarding this myself a while back. My car is black with metal flake and I was looking into waxes for black cars, but most of the waxes I was interested in seemed to mute the flakes according to other users. After some more searching and abandoning black waxes, I found Pinnacle Signature Series II wax was getting a lot of comments and high regards for making metal flake pop so I grabbed some during the Black Friday sale last year and love it. I'd like to try Fuzion as well but that one will have to wait for a few years as I'm perfectly happy with how SSII performs and makes my flakes pop.

Jaretr1
04-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Hmmm...the more different waxes I try, the more I am learning that it has less to do with the wax, and much more to do with what goes into the prep prior to waxing.

Having said that, I love Fuzion. It is such a pleasure to use and no one can argue with the results.

M26 has a pleasant smell, but the last time I used it (which was a while ago) I remember it being a little difficult to remove. WOWO waxes never have that problem.

SSII has also gotten very good reviews on this forum, especially for the money.

FUNX650
04-22-2014, 11:18 AM
I feel accomplished in life now I got a real response out of Bob!! Thank you Bob.

Thank you for the kind words, and not gloss-ing over
an example of a shine-ing response!!

Notes:
1.) All of my responses are "real"...

Only the names have been changed:
To protect the innocent. (~Jack Webb ca. 1967)

2.) More on Gloss and Shiny to follow.

TO WIT:

I like keeping it simple and Ive learned so much here so that said I have no experience with the waxes you speak of but what I do to acheive max shine and wetness is prep prep prep and polish polish polish that's where your "shine" comes from as Ive learned imo

o
When it comes to BC/CC paint systems and LSPs...
(Especially: Waxes...for this thread's theme):

-What is Gloss?
Gloss is where light is allowed to pass through a substance/material, so the light illuminates and reflects the substrate.
(Such is the relationship between a "perfected", polished CC, and the BC. The reflected color dazzles the eyes!!)

What is Shine?
-Shine is where the light is reflected before it reaches the substrate. (The reflected light dazzles the eyes!!)

Then:
-What role, if any, does silicones...and their refractive indices have in LSPs?
FWIW:
The refractive index of a certain polydimethylsiloxane-fluid is ~1.4. But with a little molecular modification the refractive index can be increased or decreased.

-What about silicones' abilities and characteristics of:
"wetting", spreading, creating thin self-leveling films, low surface tension, and little internal friction, among others?

Many more variables can be further discussed/debated at later time.

For now:
I won't go as far to say that any given LSP does...or doesn't: add (or subtract) gloss, or shine.

However:
-I will say that, IMHO, LSPs actually do:
"Play With Light"!!

-Isn't it how a person discerns their playful-mood, that is subjective?

Bob

dcjredline
04-22-2014, 11:49 AM
I just did NO prep work (other than a wash) on a neglected 09 Equinox and the proto93 made a BIG BIG difference in the "pop" of the flake in the cherry metallic paint. I know polish and prep has some to do with the clarity of the paint but I can tell you with 100% confidence that a wax CAN upgrade the look of a car...it wont last like a polish will but it does change it.

My choice (until after (if) 93 gets released) would be Pinnacle Souveran

Kamakaz1961
04-22-2014, 01:05 PM

Sent from my Alien ship

Bingo!! I agree with HD.Detailing, Jaretr1 and yankeeman1968. I believe the prepping stage is the most important. Done right, the shine is already there. Adding a sealant/wax or whatever protection as the LSP will make no difference in the "shininess" of a vehicle. A sealant will keep that shine and IMO that is about it.

However, I believe wax brings the depth and wet look of a vehicle. You can tell the difference. It's hard to explain unless you physically see it. IMO with pictures; you can't tell. At least that is what I experience and that I suck at taking pictures with a camera.

The wax that I use (currently) is Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax. IMO, it is the best wax I have tried so far (and I have tested quite a few). I like trying different waxes for fun. I am going to try Zymol Concourse wax very soon. I need to find the time to strip the car and put the wax on that to compare with Dodo Juice SN.

I am sure all of the waxes mentioned in this thread will do just fine. But if it was me....hands down Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax. Again, my $.02 cents worth. Time will tell if I did the right thing with the Zymol Concourse wax.

Have an awesome day and please tell us which wax you went with and why!!

:buffing: :dblthumb2:

EVOlved
04-22-2014, 01:23 PM
I just did NO prep work (other than a wash) on a neglected 09 Equinox and the proto93 made a BIG BIG difference in the "pop" of the flake in the cherry metallic paint. I know polish and prep has some to do with the clarity of the paint but I can tell you with 100% confidence that a wax CAN upgrade the look of a car...it wont last like a polish will but it does change it.

My choice (until after (if) 93 gets released) would be Pinnacle Souveran

Thank you Don good to hear from someone who had the same experience I did with this lovely wax. Have you tried many others??

I think I really need to get Drew to take some money from me if he would ;).

dcjredline
04-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Souveran, Megs gold class, collinite 845/476, eagle one nanno, and CG Extreme top coat. None better so far in my opinion. I'm sure there's wax as good out there but like I said I'm not spending $50 on a can unless #93 is released

Sent from my XT1030 using AG Online