PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to spread paint correction over e few days?

Pages : [1] 2

Ford Fest
04-21-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm currently working on paint correction on my 2007 mustang (black paint). I don't have time to do it all in one day. After washing and drying my car I found I got into something that feels like overspray. The entire surface feels like it has grit all over it.

I just finished doing the clay bar process. This was my first experience. Just guessing whatever was on the paint was pretty well bonded as some areas took multiple applications to get the paint smooth with the plastic bag test.

I plan to remove the swirl marks, followed by polishing, sealant and/or carnauba wax.

My questions. . .

Is it okay to do all of these step one day at a time for each? Should I cover the car after each step to fight off possible dust? Should I use a detail spray between steps?

The car will be kept in the garage during this time with no exposure to the outdoor elements, but dust will be an issue.

Any advise would be appreciated,

Bob

spiralout462
04-21-2014, 08:55 PM
The answer to all your questions is YES. Many people, myself included do not have time to complete a paint correction in one day. It is nice that you are able to keep your 'Stang in the garage in between steps. A light wipedown before you start polishing again should remove any dust that settled over night. Just use caution and pay attention so that no new marring is induced.

The Guz
04-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Yes you can. I spread out detailing my camaro over 2 weeks. I would do one or 2 areas after I got home from work. I was also waiting for some products to come in. All I did was a wipe down to remove the dust and then polish and wax/seal. It sat in the garage during this time.

jamesboyy
04-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Yeah you can spread your paint correction over a few days to me its the best way cause its not as much stress on yourself/back though a suggestion would be is if you get that section your working on to your liking just seal and wax it that way its protected etc....just my eight cents

Ford Fest
04-21-2014, 10:40 PM
Yeah you can spread your paint correction over a few days to me its the best way cause its not as much stress on yourself/back though a suggestion would be is if you get that section your working on to your liking just seal and wax it that way its protected etc....just my eight cents

Meaning, do the full paint correction on one section (hood, fender, etc) at a time? I had planned to complete each step on the entire car before moving to the next.

Does wiping down the car using detail spray between each step cause issues?

04-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Here is what I did the last time I did correction on my stang.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/73763-06-mustang-gt.html

I used Meg's Final Inspection M34 to wipe down. Another option is to use Eraser to wipe own. What qd were u thinking go using?

Ford Fest
04-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Here is what I did the last time I did correction on my stang.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/73763-06-mustang-gt.html

I used Meg's Final Inspection M34 to wipe down. Another option is to use Eraser to wipe own. What qd were u thinking go using?

Your Stang looks sharp! I'm going to be using a PC with Pinnacle swirl remover, polish, carnauba and Black Label sealant. I have Wolf Gang detail spray, Meg detail spray (came as part of a clay bar kit) or Meg ultimate detail spray. To be honest, I did not think I would need clay bar as my car is typically a garage queen. Amazing how much the clay pulled off of the car.

04-21-2014, 11:24 PM
Your Stang looks sharp! I'm going to be using a PC with Pinnacle swirl remover, polish, carnauba and Black Label sealant. I have Wolf Gang detail spray, Meg detail spray (came as part of a clay bar kit) or Meg ultimate detail spray. To be honest, I did not think I would need clay bar as my car is typically a garage queen. Amazing how much the clay pulled off of the car.

Thanks! Here's another link, just did this Thursday...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/79324-review-pinnacle-black-label-synergy.html

Meg's detail spry will work fine for removing dust...make sure u post up your work when done!

Tato
04-22-2014, 12:52 AM
I wouldn't let the claying step out of a full detail.

I'm yet to know a car that does not need any claying at all, even if the finest claying step.

Claying (IMO) is what gives the greatest difference in the overall of all steps.

If you don't feel contaminants by hand, try the baggie test.

Or if you have nanoskin, try gliding it (over lube) on paint and you'll feel how harsh it is. I bet!

If I spread correction over days (it's ok, just follow our friends directions to proper wipe dust off), I'd do a final wash just before waxing/sealing/coating.

But that's just me. I see many people here working under 0ºC temperatures and maybe those don't have easy access to wash a car at will.

Since I'm brazilian and have a garage, a private washing local and friendly weather, it's not an issue for me, and I just love the 'just wash and waxed' look.

If you can, wash at the end, dry it properly, and then apply the LSP.

Good luck,

Kind Regards.

Ford Fest
04-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the feed back guys! Looks like this will be a project over the next few days.

Wes Bremec
04-22-2014, 07:07 PM
If you have compressed air and it stays inside. Nice clean garage then blow it off and go to work. I typically do my correction step foam Then dry to the polishing step. It gets rid of those ridiculous tape lines that Compound sticks to.

Ford Fest
04-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the tip!

Pirate Bman
04-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Oh most certainly yes! Since you mentioned that it is kept indoors thats ideal. Take your time with it that way. Like they all said above as I para-read quick, I got mine also in garage and have been working a few hours each day at it. Heck even when I spent one whole afternoon on it I only got so far into it. Mind you its tiring to go non stop. and results and your mood and focus are better when your not exhausted.

Ford Fest
04-24-2014, 07:15 AM
I'm going to hold off for now. I have a car show to attend that is a 200 mile drive and I figure the car will get a lot of bugs on the drive. I'll do the full paint correction when I return. I found while I worked on it this week I need practice so I can get all of the fine scratches out. The car looks great to the eye, but when you add led lights up close it doesn't look as good.
After clawing the car I applied Meg synthetic wax for protection for the trip. Now I need to figure out how to remove the wax before starting the paint correction.

Mike Phillips
04-24-2014, 07:35 AM
Sure!

In fact I recommend it as an option in my how-to book. In any of the available versions....

The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine on the Apple iBookstore (http://www.autogeek.net/ibook.html)
The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine - Paperback (http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-create-a-show-car-shine-book.html)
The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine - E-book (http://www.autogeek.net/complete-guide-to-shine-e-book.html)
How to use Detailing Clay on the Apple iBookstore (https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/how-to-use-detailing-clay/id728417544?ls=1&mt=11)

:xyxthumbs: