PDA

View Full Version : Car getting dusty REAL FAST

Pages : [1] 2

Ao1051
04-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Is there any way to reduce the amount of dust your car collects... if not, is there a way to remove this dust with out QD the entire vehicle.. like a cali duster or something and do those things even work ?

zmcgovern45
04-21-2014, 01:45 PM
If your area gets as much pollen in the air as central IL, there is nothing that will keep it off of your paint. I suggest learning to live with it in between washes, or simply perform a rinseless wash when needed, but I would not use a car "duster".

04-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Whatever you don't use a car duster, you'll end up scratching the paint...

Ao1051
04-21-2014, 02:05 PM
that's what I was thinking... up here we don't really have trees... (North Dakota) so I don't know its mostly rockdust from sand and stuff used on the roads during the winter time that they haven't swept up yet... so yea... luckly I did just knock down all the paint this past weekend and polished black light sealed twice... and waxed 3 coats... looks awesome just attracting all the dust and their mother!!!!

VikingDetail
04-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Use a spray detailer and a high quality microfiber towel, making sure you only use each side of the MF for ONE SWIPE to avoid cross contamination. Buff with a clean MF once all dust is removed.

04-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Wax is a dust magnet

hernandez.art13
04-21-2014, 02:31 PM
Also, what wax are you using?

VikingDetail
04-21-2014, 02:32 PM
This Chemical Guys product: Chemical Guys WAC_110_16 - Extreme Top Coat - Wax and Sealant in One (16 oz) (http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical_Guys_WAC_110_16_Extreme_Top_Coat_p/wac_110_16.htm)

is advertised as having an "Anti static formula discourages the settling of new dust" - I have yet to try it though

zmcgovern45
04-21-2014, 02:42 PM
You'll still get dust on your car... whenever you rub a towel (or applicator or whatever) on your vehicle, you are creating friction which will lead to some sort of static charge on the paint. The static charge will attract other particles (ie dust)... it is just physics.

I suppose if you wanted to minimize this, you could simply wash the vehicle, treat with CarPro HydrO2 (a touchless spray sealant) and then blow the vehicle dry.

allenk4
04-21-2014, 02:47 PM
"I suppose if you wanted to minimize this, you could simply wash the vehicle, treat with CarPro HydrO2 (a touchless spray sealant) and then blow the vehicle dry."

I wonder if this causes less static build up than towel drying with a liquid drying aid; which in theory should dissipate static.

Even blowing the vehicle dry generates static as the air molecules rush over the paint.

I do not understand why a static discharge strap does NOT work? it has been discussed here and on other forums with no real answer.

zmcgovern45
04-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Yeah - was just an idea, but like I told the OP, you'll always get dust on your paint.... there is just no way around it.

wgilles
04-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Yup, my car got its first "coat" of pollen today. One of the joys of Spring. Your best bet is to just live with it. If you leave it on the paint, you are not going to hurt anything.

Quiksilver5882
04-21-2014, 04:11 PM
You could get the pollen off with the master blaster or a leaf blower.

Kamakaz1961
04-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Is there any way to reduce the amount of dust your car collects... if not, is there a way to remove this dust with out QD the entire vehicle.. like a cali duster or something and do those things even work ?

I use the CA Dustbuster and it works great! The other is the Metro Sidekick. The Sidekick blows the dust off.

The CA Dustbuster MUST BE USED CORRECTLY. If not, it WILL scratch the paint. Used right and it works great. To use the Dustbuster BARELY TOUCH the car. Just enough to where the strings are just hanging and gently brushing the car. It will remove the dust. The other is the sidekick blower. That can blow the dust off. If the dust does not come off, then you will need to wash the car (I foam gun 2-bucket wash) no questions.

It is possible to do a rinseless wash, however, a regular wash would be the preference.

:xyxthumbs:

Blackthorn One
04-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Was pretty impressed with this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYGEYoJCMng&list=UUYsa8SOy3TkoxI5D17s1u-w