PDA

View Full Version : No need for Sealant if I do this

Pages : [1] 2

Kamakaz1961
04-19-2014, 07:11 PM
I am just curious and would like to get some opinions. After I thoroughly cleanse the car 1 time every 6 months (clay bar, compound polish if needed and polish) I usually put a sealant on (I have Menzerna, Pinnacle Black Label and Blackfire depends on which mood I am to use on them). However, I have started to think I no longer need the sealant and here is why.

I wax my car once or sometimes 2 times a month. I am currently using Dodo Juice Supernatural wax. IMO, I do not need a sealant for additional protection. I think with a quality wax such as DSN it can breath better or have a better hygroscopic affect with out the sealant.

I enjoy waxing and will wax my car year round as I have set my garage up to where I can wash/wax the car at any time even night.

Any thoughts comments or pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

Feed back please

VP Mark
04-19-2014, 07:15 PM
Sure. I have plenty of clients who I regularly do basic cleanings on whose cars are only protected with wax and still look great and are protected. Sealants are better for people who Dont want to apply LSP as often.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

aztec1987
04-19-2014, 07:17 PM
I use sealants in which I have observed that it does a great job on protecting the paint. I wax my cars every three months and on rainy seasons I wax it every month in order to keep them well maintained. As for the glass I do apply sealants to make them look shiny and as well protected from UV and UVB

PiPUK
04-20-2014, 05:02 AM
Also worth noting that most of the good and modern waxes will have sealant characteristics. It is hard to believe that many professional waxes would be based entirely on natural ingredients, such an approach is highly compromised and a wax chemist would almost certainly be putting in synthetic polymers and such to make a wax easier to use, increasing durability etc. I suspect that the only waxes you will find to be entirely wax will be homebrew types, where the maker doesn't know about or have access to the more advanced ingredients.

Kamakaz1961
04-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Thank you all for your comments. VP Mark nice to know your clients like the good stuff!!

PiPUK agreed on the homebrew stuff. I just bought a jar of Zymol Concourse wax and I am going to try that out on my ride. Everyone have an awesome day!

jamesboyy
04-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Begin that you wax your car so often yes it's alright not to apply a sealant though IMO the more protection the better, but also think about the unexpected when making this decision cause there may be a times where you cant wash or even wax your ride for weeks or months because your attention is needed else where besides your beloved ride....just my eight cents

Kamakaz1961
04-20-2014, 11:58 AM
Begin that you wax your car so often yes it's alright not to apply a sealant though IMO the more protection the better, but also think about the unexpected when making this decision cause there may be a times where you cant wash or even wax your ride for weeks or months because your attention is needed else where besides your beloved ride....just my eight cents

I agree with you. However, I have set my garage up to where I can wash/wax at night or any hour. I have flood lights and ceiling lights to where you can see 95%. I will sometimes work on my ride at 4am -7am when I know my GF is sleeping. So far she has not beaten me for this process!!.....LOL

I always try to find time to take care of the ride. I live in Southern California and the weather is mostly sunny and not like the Northeast. If I lived there I would change my approach. Your eight cents is very much appreciated.

:iagree: :buffing:

brondondolon
04-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Some one correct me if I'm wrong but isn't sealant and wax theoretically the same thing? Carnuba is a natural product derived from a plant or tree where sealant is essentially made in a lab? They are both intended to do the same thing aren't they? So to my understanding you can apply both or you can apply one or the other. Either way you're protecting your paint. Especially since you're waxing twice a month.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

04-20-2014, 12:42 PM
I am just curious and would like to get some opinions. After I thoroughly cleanse the car 1 time every 6 months (clay bar, compound polish if needed and polish) I usually put a sealant on (I have Menzerna, Pinnacle Black Label and Blackfire depends on which mood I am to use on them). However, I have started to think I no longer need the sealant and here is why.

I wax my car once or sometimes 2 times a month. I am currently using Dodo Juice Supernatural wax. IMO, I do not need a sealant for additional protection. I think with a quality wax such as DSN it can breath better or have a better hygroscopic affect with out the sealant.

I enjoy waxing and will wax my car year round as I have set my garage up to where I can wash/wax the car at any time even night.

Feed back please

Yes, there really isn't a need for sealant giving how much you wax. To our advantage, we have really nice weather in California so the elements are not as harsh. On a personal note, the reason I have a coating/sealant/wax on my ride is I just don't have the time to do what you do. You and I both know having a black car as a daily driver is a full time job. Ultimately, at the end of the day, all that matters is your happiness :buffing:

FUNX650
04-20-2014, 02:19 PM
I think with a quality wax such as DSN it can breath better or have
a better hygroscopic affect with out the sealant.

Feed back please
Please explain what you think is going to breath better;
and where/how you think it's going to take place.

And I don't believe you meant: "a better hygroscopic affect".
Maybe hydrophobic? If so:
Why do you think a wax would exhibit more of the
hydrophobic-characteristic without a sealant?

Thanks.

Bob

swanicyouth
04-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Only thing I can think to add to this is if you live in So Cal it's probably pretty hot there, and they heat may shorten the lifespan of your wax.

Kamakaz1961
04-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Please explain what you think is going to breath better;
and where/how you think it's going to take place.

And I don't believe you meant: "a better hygroscopic affect".
Maybe hydrophobic? If so:
Why do you think a wax would exhibit more of the
hydrophobic-characteristic without a sealant?

Thanks.

Bob

Hygroscopy is the ability of a substance to attract and hold water (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Water) molecules (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Molecule) from the surrounding environment (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Natural_environment).

For a quality wax to take a full affect, it is necessary to put the car out in the sun for about 15 to 30 minutes. The fogging or hazing from a quality wax takes place. A simple wipe down with a QD (car back in the shade or garage). The wax has cured and now is at its full strength. Most quality waxes (Dodo Juice Supernatural wax, Zymol Concourse, Swissvax Concorso, etc) even suggest this in the process. I know from 1st hand experience this is what I do. Even with some WOWO there still is a curing time. The Sun will trigger the hygroscopic affect.

FUNX650
04-20-2014, 06:27 PM
For a quality wax to take a full affect, it is necessary to put the car out in the sun for about 15 to 30 minutes. The fogging or hazing from a quality wax takes place. A simple wipe down with a QD (car back in the shade or garage). The wax has cured and now is at its full strength. Most quality waxes (Dodo Juice Supernatural wax, Zymol Concourse, Swissvax Concorso, etc) even suggest this in the process. I know from 1st hand experience this is what I do. Even with some WOWO there still is a curing time. The Sun will trigger the hygroscopic affect.
^^^Surely to Goodness: You have got to be kidding!^^^

Bob

04-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Hygroscopy is the ability of a substance to attract and hold water (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Water) molecules (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Molecule) from the surrounding environment (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Natural_environment).

Learn something new everyday :props:

HateSwirls
04-20-2014, 07:54 PM
I'll say a "wax" with good Nuba gives off a better shine than of a sealant but not by much, I just feel better using a good sealant, take right now for example,I'm not well enough yet to do a good wash on my truck but it's well protected.
I hope to wash it tomorrow and top it with some Duragloss Aquawax to give the paint a boost.

I did a Nissan yesterday and paying for it today, big mistake on my part being I just had surgery.
I'm a weekend detailer so I only have time to take care of my cars during the week, if I miss a week no big deal, the paint is protected not only with a sealant but topped with Collinite 845, no wax that I know of can offer me six months protection.