PDA

View Full Version : Whenever I polish, i get tons of dust?

Pages : [1] 2

EvolutionDetail
04-19-2014, 06:08 PM
I haven't picked up a polisher for close to a year now.
Today i was using my Rupes 15 with a Green Buff and shine pad, using Sonax PF. But i kept getting dust all over the place.

It has been a while since i polished... I can't remember if i experience dusting back then when i polished. Or am i just missing something here. Like wrong technique / gesture or whatever....

So how do i keep dusting to the minimal?

Docpeanut
04-19-2014, 06:26 PM
Sounds like you may be using too much product. Also keep in mind certain products tend to dust a lot.

EvolutionDetail
04-19-2014, 06:42 PM
I just primed the pad and after that it is just 3 drops each panel.

PS: I was NOT working under the shade... Back in the PAST, i always polished in my garage....
Maybe that is what is causing so much dust?

Docpeanut
04-19-2014, 06:49 PM
That could very well be the culprit

Kacz
04-19-2014, 06:53 PM
I just primed the pad and after that it is just 3 drops each panel.

PS: I was NOT working under the shade... Back in the PAST, i always polished in my garage....
Maybe that is what is causing so much dust?

Yep, this is most likely the cause then.

Eandras
04-19-2014, 07:28 PM
How often are you cleaning the pad or changing pads. The dusting can also be that you are overworking the polish.

Ed

EVOlved
04-19-2014, 07:37 PM
How often are you cleaning the pad or changing pads. The dusting can also be that you are overworking the polish.

Ed

This. I just used perfect finish in the sun with blue B&S pads yesterday and had my best experience because I cleaned the pads after each section pass and rotated pads after each section pass as well.

Kacz
04-19-2014, 07:44 PM
This. I just used perfect finish in the sun with blue B&S pads yesterday and had my best experience because I cleaned the pads after each section pass and rotated pads after each section pass as well.

I'm surprised that you didn't run into an issue--usually the sun and/or the hot panels cause the polish to dry prematurely. This is usually when it will spit out dust if the other causes of dust are checked off.

I figured since he said he doesn't remember this happening before and the only thing that has changed is the environment, then working in direct sunlight or on hot panels would probably be the main cause.

EvolutionDetail
04-19-2014, 08:00 PM
I am in Houston Texas, so temp might be much different than NY.

I guess I will try again some other time in the garage and see what happens.
I cleaned the pad after every section. I even spray some ONR on the pad. Maybe it is the sun that is drying the polish out

Just02896
04-19-2014, 08:09 PM
I did a correction last weekend using Sonax 5/4 and 3/6 and didn't get any dusting. I did brush my pad clean after each panel though.

HateSwirls
04-19-2014, 08:29 PM
I have Optimum Fine Polish, zero dusting.
Wolfgang Uber some dust but not too bad.
Meguiar's D-151 All in One, love it and zero dusting.
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, again very little dusting.
Meguiar's 105. OMG. Lol

As one said brush off you pad often to reduce dusting.

zerix
04-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Try HD Adapt, zero dust.

BrianMcLeod
04-19-2014, 10:01 PM
I was using m105 and m205 and get kept dusting up but I figured out you have to work clean and not use that much product

allenk4
04-19-2014, 11:39 PM
M105 separates the Mice from the Men...not sure yet which camp I have been relegated to yet.

HateSwirls
04-21-2014, 11:43 AM
I was using m105 and m205 and get kept dusting up but I figured out you have to work clean and not use that much product

Working clean is key IMO, that's why I always have a bottle of rinse-less wash bottle next to me and some super soft micro fiber towels.
Sure the 105 will dust, it's an aggressive compound but it gives you amazing results.

Want less dusting try the Wolfgang Uber Compound, it might not be as aggressive as of the Meguiar's 105 but it's not far behind in getting great results.
Every now and then I'll find that the Uber might not remove a defect so I reach for my 105 but then back to my Uber.

IMO the Uber is the best compound over all.