PDA

View Full Version : QD after polishing or washing before sealent

mliebs8
07-19-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm doing my wifes car today and I'm going to polish it with IP then FP. My question is do I have to wash the car before I apply the wolfgang sealent or can I just wipe the car down with Meguires quick detailer and then apply the sealent.

Mike T
07-19-2007, 11:40 AM
You could simply QD afterward. Always just make sure the surface is nice and slick before you apply the sealant/wax. With basic polishing you can just QD afterward. With heavy compounding and such, it might be better to wash after.
I usually go over the finish with S&W.

supercharged
07-19-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm doing my wifes car today and I'm going to polish it with IP then FP. My question is do I have to wash the car before I apply the wolfgang sealent or can I just wipe the car down with Meguires quick detailer and then apply the sealent.
After polishing reawash, or wipe car down with 50/50 alcohol/water mix.

D
07-19-2007, 12:24 PM
After polishing reawash, or wipe car down with 50/50 alcohol/water mix.

Yep.

Jimmie
07-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Another option is a paintwork cleansing lotion.

DavidJ021
07-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Another option is a paintwork cleansing lotion.

Pinnacles.

Def. +1!

mliebs8
07-19-2007, 01:10 PM
It's pretty obvious I'm going to have to wash the car because this stuff is dusting so bad I'm not going to have a choice. I can say that even though the polish is dusting big time the shine from the first polish is beautiful. I've got one more to do then the sealent. Thanks for everyones input

Al-53
07-19-2007, 01:16 PM
After a polishing and there is dust residue from it..its best to rewash..and not QD..the dust alone can have abrasives...This is where a strong wash comes into play....it will remove any residual oils and also the lubricity of the shampoo will float the particles with less chance of marring during the wash...

Al

D
07-19-2007, 01:48 PM
I always rewash after polish unless Im using XMT 360.

Thejoyofdriving
07-19-2007, 01:54 PM
if you are going to use a qd make sure it does not leave any sort of film on the paint, one example is silicone, it will interfear with the bonding of the wax

mliebs8
07-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Ok I just finished with the FP and the car is smoking clean. The FP didn't dust like the IP so all in all I'm very impressed with the finish. I'm going to wash the car put on some wolfgang sealent and tomorrow morning I'll put a coat of 180 on it and call it a day. Thanks again for everyones help

MadOzodi
07-19-2007, 04:25 PM
You know that you'll have to post pics after the 180 is applied, right?

mliebs8
07-19-2007, 05:58 PM
I don't know how to post pics but I'll be happy to email pics to someone if they'll post them for me. Man I am so tired and my back is killing me. I'm waiting for the wolfgang to setup for a little bit and them I'm done for the night. I can't believe how nice the finish turned out, the car looks better than it did new. I've used NXT sealent on my Hummer and it was kind of like wax but the wolfgang seemed kind of oily, even looking at it now it looks alot different than the NXT did.