PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of CQ UK…help needed

Pages : [1] 2

BTLew81
04-19-2014, 09:03 AM
I really know I should coat my DD. It gets driven and will get more use with a change at work. It appears that UK is pretty user friendly, but I would like some input.

I usually use UWW+ as a drying aid. Any issues continuing to use this? Also, with what frequency should reload be used? Any rule here?

I'd love to hear from "coating novices" on their experiences with the coating. I'm well versed in detailing, and used to have my own full time business, but now it's more favors to friends. While I can polish and seal anything, coatings are VERY unfamiliar to me. Any input is appreciated!

njarmstrong81
04-19-2014, 09:49 AM
I just did my car with CQUK. The prep was key and it looks great. Very easy to apply I found. Had no issues at all. Just took my time to make sure everything was buffed off and no high spots. Then the reload goes on, also an easy product to use.

top189h
04-19-2014, 10:09 PM
I was nervous about coating my truck as well. I picked up uk 2014 to try on my fiance's car. After doing a decon on my truck with ironx and tarx, Carpro had won me over so I used my truck to test it. Now in all seriousness, my only regret with this product is that I didn't use it sooner. The thing looks great, and I used about 25 mil to do my whole truck twice (short bed single cab). It is idiot proof and completely worth it. Even if it only lasts 6 months, I would still be so happy with it.

canairb
04-21-2014, 01:28 PM
I was wondering the same about UWW+. I understand that nothing should be applied over CQUK. I believe UWW+ contains polymers. So the polymers may affect the beading/sheeting/self cleaning of CQUK.

How would we clean off a bird bomb? I was thinking maybe use UWW+, then immediately follow up with IPA to remove the polymers from UWW+.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Rsurfer
04-21-2014, 01:44 PM
I was wondering the same about UWW+. I understand that nothing should be applied over CQUK. I believe UWW+ contains polymers. So the polymers may affect the beading/sheeting/self cleaning of CQUK.

How would we clean off a bird bomb? I was thinking maybe use UWW+, then immediately follow up with IPA to remove the polymers from UWW+.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sounds like your over thinking this. A little UWW over a bird bomb should not hurt the coating.

zmcgovern45
04-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Sounds like your over thinking this. A little UWW over a bird bomb should not hurt the coating.

^What he said.

It would be fine to continue to use UWW+ to maintain your vehicle after coating should you choose to do so.

Reload can be applied as often or seldom as you choose. I apply it (or HydrO2) to my coated vehicle once a month or so just because I have a ton of it and you use very little product per application, so why not. Reload is not required on top of a coating, but for as quick and easy as it is to use, I highly recommend it.

canairb
04-21-2014, 02:19 PM
Thank you. I guess I was over thinking this.

asalesagent912
04-21-2014, 05:36 PM
^What he said.

It would be fine to continue to use UWW+ to maintain your vehicle after coating should you choose to do so.

Reload can be applied as often or seldom as you choose. I apply it (or HydrO2) to my coated vehicle once a month or so just because I have a ton of it and you use very little product per application, so why not. Reload is not required on top of a coating, but for as quick and easy as it is to use, I highly recommend it.
I did my car 2 weeks ago and washed it 2 since. to me the paint dont feel silky smooth.
Do you think this is normal? To me if it isn't silky smooth how can it repel the contamanents

zmcgovern45
04-21-2014, 08:03 PM
Did it feel silky smooth say 24 hours after initial application?

Did you apply reload on top of UK?

asalesagent912
04-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Did it feel silky smooth say 24 hours after initial application?

Did you apply reload on top of UK?
I thought it felt pretty smooth after application. i did not put on any reload because it was gonna be in the garage for 2 days and wasnt worried about water hitting it. I assumed that was what the reload was for.

zmcgovern45
04-21-2014, 08:28 PM
IMO UK is not 'super duper slick' like Finest, but it is definitely slicker than something like Opti-Coat. Reload is meant to work with UK by adding that incredible slickness.

UK will still perform great without Reload, but if you are seeking an incredibly slick finish, you should top with Reload.

asalesagent912
04-21-2014, 08:49 PM
IMO UK is not 'super duper slick' like Finest, but it is definitely slicker than something like Opti-Coat. Reload is meant to work with UK by adding that incredible slickness.

UK will still perform great without Reload, but if you are seeking an incredibly slick finish, you should top with Reload.
ok but how long should it feel slick with reload ? I did read that here about opti-coat. Thats why i went with c quartz. Is there any way i can tell if it did adhere to the paint and the coating is there?

zmcgovern45
04-22-2014, 07:46 AM
ok but how long should it feel slick with reload ? I did read that here about opti-coat. Thats why i went with c quartz. Is there any way i can tell if it did adhere to the paint and the coating is there?

Reload will last several months (3-4) in most conditions, but it may vary. Reload has slightly different water behavior than CQuartz from my brief comparison, so you can tell the Reload is still present.

If it has been a week or so since you applied the coating, wash the vehicle and observe beading and sheeting. You should see strong beading and sheeting if the coating was applied properly. The 'slick to the touch feel' does not dictate any of the water behavior... if you spray an opti-coated vehicle down it will bead and sheet extremely well despite the grabby feeling when you slide the back of your hand along the paint.

theblob640
04-22-2014, 08:09 AM
As for your concern about UWW+ over CQ, here is the response I got from Corey because I had a similar question. I use a waterless wash 90% of the time for my "fun car" and was concerned about which waterless wash to use without affecting the properties of the coating.

"I would recommend our Ultima Waterless Wash for light dust. It will not harm the coating and is safe if used properly with paint safe and high quality microfiber towels. The polymers in Ultima will slightly temporarily affect the water behavior on the coating but not harm it in any way."

asalesagent912
04-22-2014, 01:17 PM
Reload will last several months (3-4) in most conditions, but it may vary. Reload has slightly different water behavior than CQuartz from my brief comparison, so you can tell the Reload is still present.

If it has been a week or so since you applied the coating, wash the vehicle and observe beading and sheeting. You should see strong beading and sheeting if the coating was applied properly. The 'slick to the touch feel' does not dictate any of the water behavior... if you spray an opti-coated vehicle down it will bead and sheet extremely well despite the grabby feeling when you slide the back of your hand along the paint.
ok thanks for all the info. much appreciated.