PDA

View Full Version : "Hey, How much you charge for a detail?!"

Becciasm
04-18-2014, 02:48 PM
(^^question directed to me by a co-worker while overhearing a detailing conversation i was having with a different co-worker)

:buffing:

me - "Well that depends on what you would be looking to have done to your vehicle... Do you have any specific concerns? What kind of vehicle is it, and may I take a lo-"

"My dad's place has a guy that comes to them and does a good job for $35 a car!"

me - "... that's great to hear. What services are included in the price? I know of several local mobile folks that do fantastic jobs for car lots and corporate lots."

... changes subject, mumbling "The cars are always shiney :)"

I love those conversations.

215Detailing
04-18-2014, 04:01 PM
THAT IS A QUESTION THAT BOTHERS ME, BUT IT'S BETTER THAN HOW MUCH IS IT FOR A WASH, LOL , MY REPLY LET ME HAND YOU A FLYER BECAUSE i OFFER DIFFERENT SERVICES AND WHEN YOU ARE READY YOU MAY CALL TO SET AN APPOINTMENT (sorry for all caps, wasn't looking at screen too lazy to erase,lol)

dirtdestroyer
04-18-2014, 04:19 PM
215Detailing: That question shouldn't bother you, it should be expected. Most people have no idea what processes go into various aspects of detailing and everyone's packages, services offered and prices differ. It's the responses like Becciasm encountered that are troublesome but you will run into this in ANY service business.

In PC repair everyone knows some kid who "does a great job for $25"

In fitness everyone knows a trainer who "is great any only costs $50 a session, with FREE diet plans"

In auto repair these same people know a guy willing to replace a tranny in their Caravan (probably the 3rd in 300,000kms) for $100 plus the cost of a junk yard trip.

The list goes on, the half people that do a poor job and cut corners for unsustainable profit conditin some people to always think people who are good at their job aren't worth a living wage. Some people are just cheap. These people are not my target customer base, though some often learn after going the cheap route that the extra service cost for a real pro is worth it and the other cheapo was wasted coin.

Though some learn the hard way some also never learn. Can't please everyone.

Calendyr
04-19-2014, 01:26 AM
The way I handle co-workers and people I know that ask that is:

"Go on my website, all the different services are listed in details. If you are interested by any of them I will do the job for you at half price since I know you."

So far I have 5 people who told me they want me to work on their vehicles when weathers clears up a little.

No debate, and potential clients, that is a win win for me ;)