PDA

View Full Version : Is there a downside to claying a section...

nadams18
04-18-2014, 02:30 PM
Is there a downside to claying, polishing, and waxing a different section of your vehcile over a period of time? I recently purchased a F350 Crew Cab Long Bed and knowing how long it took to do clay, polish, wax the Charger I had is making me think that I won't have time to get the truck done in one day, nor the energy. I was thinking about dividing the truck up into 3 sections and clay, polish, and wax each section at a time. Is there anything wrong with doing this?

Thanks.

jms493
04-18-2014, 02:36 PM
If it takes you 3 weekend total then I dont see the problem. If it takes you 6 months then by the time you finish you have to start again...lol

It is going to take me a month to do my whole 14 Charger but it is more on the side of a garage queen so it isn't a big deal.

silverfox
04-18-2014, 02:42 PM
That's exactly the way I do it. My goal is three weekends. First weekend I do the horizontal surfaces. The next weekend I do the front and rear and rear quarter panels. The third week I do the doors and front quarter panels

I find this method allows me plenty of time to do it right and the results are better than trying to cram in one day or weekend.

jms493
04-18-2014, 02:47 PM
That's exactly the way I do it. My goal is three weekends. First weekend I do the horizontal surfaces. The next weekend I do the front and rear and rear quarter panels. The third week I do the doors and front quarter panels

I find this method allows me plenty of time to do it right and the results are better than trying to cram in one day or weekend.

exactly...if I am trying to finish everything in 1 day I rush and enjoy it much less. I do a few panels at a time and really take my time to enjoy what I am doing. Nothing like some music, a few beers and some Dual Action!

jmsc
04-18-2014, 04:05 PM
I just finished my own car over 10 days (13 panels in all). A panel or 2 or 3 per day. Skip a day here or there. Been doing this the last 6 years. But I do have use of a garage to keep the car clean between details. Why kill yourself over 2 days?

Bunky
04-18-2014, 04:50 PM
There is no problem with doing in steps if done when properly cleaned. Take your time. The worst thing is to rush it to get sub-optimal results.

BlackRam
04-18-2014, 06:41 PM
SO are you completing the section completely, soup to nuts? wash, clay, iron x, polish, then seal? and doing that for like 3 panels per weekend?

rouxster
04-18-2014, 10:25 PM
I do something similar. I have a 16 mo old at home and another on the way in about 6 weeks, so my wife gets a little agitated if I'm outside washing my truck more than 2 hours, so I wash and dry the complete truck, Iron X, then clay, then seal with KSG a panel or two at a time. The following weekend, I top the section(s) I sealed with 845. For instance, today I did the hood and the two front quarter panels.

I figure this will only take 3-4 weekends to finish the truck, which I'm fine with if I only have to do this every 6 months.

Paul A.
04-19-2014, 11:04 AM
To answer your initial question, no, there is nothing wrong or will go wrong with that approach. I would tend to agree with the thought that if it takes you many months to completely finish the truck, you are probably at a point of starting over and you then become a slave to lots of mini sections that end up consuming your time. Get it done in small sections over maybe 3-4 weekends and enjoy it until it's time to do it again!

Rsurfer
04-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Get it done in small sections over maybe 3-4 weekends and enjoy it until it's time to do it again!

Even if it took the OP six months to finish..still better than not doing anything to his paint.:xyxthumbs: