PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a shop vac for last stage of carpet cleaning?

MJT
04-18-2014, 01:26 AM
Hey guys I am planning on using my DA with the aqua cyclo brush to clean the carpets of a friends car. I am probably going to use Meguires d101 product for the carpets or Folex. What I want to know is can I use a shop vac to suck up the agitated product in the carpet after I have used my DA? I cannot afford to buy a steamer vac. So the plan is as follows -

1. Vacuum the car/carpets
2. Spray carpet/fabric cleaner
3. Agitate with DA and cyclo brush
4. Suck up the residue with a shop vac

Would this work well? And am I right in thinking that I would have to spray a section at a time (rather than the whole car at once) so that the product doesn't dry? Would I be in trouble if that happens? Am thinking the shop vac won't be able to suck up the dried carpet cleaning agent from the carpet...

Thanks.
Mark

Blackthorn One
04-18-2014, 02:00 AM
You definitely should use a wet dry/shop vac as the last step of a carpet cleaning. It will reduce drying time after shampooing. Do it in the morning so that you can leave the windows open during the afternoon to help it dry out even more afterwards.

allenk4
04-18-2014, 01:39 PM
IMO opinion you should remove as much debris, dirt etc. as possible before applying any liquid to the carpet.

I would rearrange your process to this:

1. Vacuum the car/carpets of large debris

2. Agitate with DA and Cyclo brush

3. Re-Vacuum

4. Spray carpet/fabric cleaner (Folex 1:1)

5. Agitate with DA and Cyclo brush

6. Go over the carpet with a cotton towel

7. Suck up any residue with a Shop-Vac

I usually spray a larger section so the cleaner can dwell. Lightly spray the entire area and give any stains an extra squirt. Kwazar spray bottles are great for this.

You cannot skip any steps, especially #6

MJT
04-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Great that's really helpful!

SANTA3013
04-19-2014, 12:42 PM
IMO opinion you should remove as much debris, dirt etc. as possible before applying any liquid to the carpet.

I would rearrange your process to this:

1. Vacuum the car/carpets of large debris

2. Agitate with DA and Cyclo brush

3. Re-Vacuum

4. Spray carpet/fabric cleaner (Folex 1:1)

5. Agitate with DA and Cyclo brush

6. Go over the carpet with a cotton towel

7. Suck up any residue with a Shop-Vac

I usually spray a larger section so the cleaner can dwell. Lightly spray the entire area and give any stains an extra squirt. Kwazar spray bottles are great for this.

You cannot skip any steps, especially #6

I never thought about agitating and vacuuming again before applying Folex. Thanks for the tip!