PDA

View Full Version : Help me master leather care

Lakeside Detail
04-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Hi guys, I have been having a little trouble with cleaning leather seats. The vehicles are a 2005 Tahoe with tan leather seats and a 2007 Tahoe with black leather. I tried using CG all clean+ at 20:1 and got tan color transfer onto a white rag. I thought these seats were coated along with most newer leather seats? Can you still get color transfer with coated seats. I tried using my mytee steamer on the black leather and I also thought I was getting a lot of black die on my MF.

What is the best way the tell coated and uncoated leather apart?

I'm think about picking up some d103 or OPC to try or maybe just woolite.

allenk4
04-17-2014, 04:47 PM
I believe the coating used on leather is colored, so that is probably what is coming off on your white towel.

I had some color come off of the black leather in my 2009 GMC Yukon during the initial cleaning with Optimum Power Clean 10:1 (APC).

After the initial cleaning, I have been using Poor Boys Leather Stuff and have not seem any additional color transfer.

Lakeside Detail
04-17-2014, 05:23 PM
I just went out and tried woolite at 10:1 and still got color transfer. The woolite I used is 2x concentrated orange carpet and upholstery. Something tells me I just need a less harsh cleaner. Since the bottle says 2x concentrate should I try 20:1?

allenk4
04-17-2014, 05:26 PM
If you have already cleaned it twice...it is probably totally clean.

I would move on to the protection phase.

Opinions differ on protection strategies for coated leather.

You need UV protection, but beyond that it's a matter of preference based on:

-Finish Matte, Shiny, etc

-Scent

-Prevention of dye transfer (light colored leather)

Lakeside Detail
04-17-2014, 05:26 PM
I do have some CG sprayable leather ill go try. I think its more of a conditioner though..

allenk4
04-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Post some pictures

Lakeside Detail
04-17-2014, 05:30 PM
This is not a clients car but I would like to come up with safe methods to use on clients leather so I don't end up taking color off and ending up with streaks or fades in the leather aka, damage