PDA

View Full Version : How do you "de-winterize" your car in spring?

shane83
04-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Hey folks, I bought a new 2014 Camry SE last summer and unfortunately for my car, it had to endure one of the worst winters we've had.

Over the winter, I would just run it through an automatic car wash after filling up at the gas station - big mistake, there are definitely swirls and small scratches on the paint as visible in direct sunlight.

With the weather warming up, I want to fix up my paint and get the car cleaned up again...heres my plan, but I also need to purchase a few more things:

Just before winter, I clayed, polished with Klasse AIO, and sealed the paint with Collinite 845. Do I need to "strip" the old sealant before performing these steps?

So this was my plan:

1. clay the car
2. buy a new orbital polisher
3. buy a polish to remove swirls & scratches
4. after polishing, use Klasse AIO (the red bottle)
5. Seal the paint again with Collinite 845
6. Use some wax to give the paint a nice, wet look.

So I need to buy a polish to remove swirls, and an orbital polisher. Which ones do you guys recommend. Should I use Iron X on the paint as well?

How do you guys "de-winterize" your vehicle? Critique my plan? Thank you.

jamesboyy
04-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Your plan of attack looks good thought you do need to strip the paint of the old LSP a soap like chemical guys citrus wash and clear would do the job, iron-x is not required but it will remove a bit more contamination ensuring that your paint has a deep thoroughly cleaning before polishing, as for polishers it depends on money if money is tight then go with harbor freight polisher though the Groits garage 6 inch polisher would be your best choice as for polishes Menzerna Power Finish is a good start its an all in one product and wont remove to much of your soft Toyota paint but finish well .....hope this help a bit

trekkeruss
04-17-2014, 10:37 PM
I don't know how bad the defects are in the paint of your car, but you can polish or use Klasse AIO, but both polishing and using Klasse AIO is redundant.

ghji222
04-18-2014, 06:22 AM
Dude in the winter i just concentrate on the winter tire because if the tire is strong then its more comfortable for you specially in the winter tire is freeze and can not able for the road that's why i just concentrate on the tires..

Desertnate
04-18-2014, 07:32 AM
Your process looks fine for a Spring rehab. I go through the same process.

As already mentioned, the AIO isn't doing anything for you other than giving you a very clean surface to work from after the polishing is done. I've found 845 to work well over the top of several different polishes with no reduction in durability.

Your polishing step will remove any old LSP, so you'll be fine there. You might also be surprised by the finish left behind by the 845. You probably won't need the final wax step.

EVOlved
04-18-2014, 07:52 AM
Hey folks, I bought a new 2014 Camry SE last summer and unfortunately for my car, it had to endure one of the worst winters we've had.

Over the winter, I would just run it through an automatic car wash after filling up at the gas station - big mistake, there are definitely swirls and small scratches on the paint as visible in direct sunlight.

With the weather warming up, I want to fix up my paint and get the car cleaned up again...heres my plan, but I also need to purchase a few more things:

Just before winter, I clayed, polished with Klasse AIO, and sealed the paint with Collinite 845. Do I need to "strip" the old sealant before performing these steps?

So this was my plan:

1. clay the car
2. buy a new orbital polisher
3. buy a polish to remove swirls & scratches
4. after polishing, use Klasse AIO (the red bottle)
5. Seal the paint again with Collinite 845
6. Use some wax to give the paint a nice, wet look.

So I need to buy a polish to remove swirls, and an orbital polisher. Which ones do you guys recommend. Should I use Iron X on the paint as well?

How do you guys "de-winterize" your vehicle? Critique my plan? Thank you.

Like James said looks like a fairly good plan, what color is the car?? I would go with the GG6" if your just doing your car and a maybe a few others. IronX can't hurt if it's white or silver, it is basically a must. Like James said I would go with just a finishing polish like Menzerna sf4000 or Meg's 205, then use IPA or an equivalent like carpro eraser then just apply the collinite or LSP of your choice. So you are not going to need to do steps 4 or 6.

Dude in the winter i just concentrate on the winter tire because if the tire is strong then its more comfortable for you specially in the winter tire is freeze and can not able for the road that's why i just concentrate on the tires..

This seems like a useless post, not even sure if it is English. Yes winter tires are important if you are somewhere with a lot of snow and have a vehicle that comes with summer tires... But your paint should still be protected.

shane83
04-18-2014, 12:24 PM
Appreciate the tips guys!

So I will be ordering the GR6" polisher.

However, I am not sure which polish I should get to remove the imperfections. They are not too bad (the car is only 7 months old), but the auto car wash is the main culprit here.

James mentioned that I should get the Menzerna Power Finish to remove the minor swirls/scratches/water spots, but EVOlved said Menzerna SF4000 or Meg's 205.

Money is kind of tight, and Meg's #205 Ultra Finish Polish seems to be the cheapest out of the 3. The 8oz bottle is 11 bucks. I only have one car so I think it will be enough..right?

So I just wash, clay the paint, polish with the GR6" w/polishing pad, use an IPA, then just seal with 845?

The color of my car is this here, its called cosmic mica grey. Kind of dark green...looks black from afar, but has a greenish shiny tinge in direct sunlight:

http://i.aultec.com/v/71/11655/txt/d43b24a3fc0d4d588afdc0d14a9cd50a.jpg
http://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/unversioned/img/long-term/2012-toyota-camry/toyota_camry_paint_1600-thumb-717x477-111564.jpg

Meg's 205:
eShine Canada: Meguiar's #205 Ultra Finishing Polish (8oz) (http://www.eshine.ca/meguiars_205_ultra_finishing_polish_8oz-1405.php)

Menzerna Super Finish SF4000:
eShine Canada: Menzerna Super Finish SF4000 (32oz) (http://www.eshine.ca/menzerna_super_finish_sf4000_32oz-1508.php)

Menzerna Power Finish PF2500:
eShine Canada: Menzerna Power Finish PF 2500 (PO 203) (16oz) (http://www.eshine.ca/menzerna_power_finish_pf_2500_po_203_16oz-1522.php)

Mastercraft241
04-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Appreciate the tips guys!

So I will be ordering the GR6" polisher.

However, I am not sure which polish I should get to remove the imperfections. They are not too bad (the car is only 7 months old), but the auto car wash is the main culprit here.

James mentioned that I should get the Menzerna Power Finish to remove the minor swirls/scratches/water spots, but EVOlved said Menzerna SF4000 or Meg's 205.

Money is kind of tight, and Meg's #205 Ultra Finish Polish seems to be the cheapest out of the 3. The 8oz bottle is 11 bucks. I only have one car so I think it will be enough..right?

So I just wash, clay the paint, polish with the GR6" w/polishing pad, use an IPA, then just seal with 845?

The color of my car is this here, its called cosmic mica grey. Kind of dark green...looks black from afar, but has a greenish shiny tinge in direct sunlight:

http://i.aultec.com/v/71/11655/txt/d43b24a3fc0d4d588afdc0d14a9cd50a.jpg
http://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/unversioned/img/long-term/2012-toyota-camry/toyota_camry_paint_1600-thumb-717x477-111564.jpg

Wash
Ironx
Clay
Dry
Compound/polish depending on condition
IPA
Wax/sealant.

Also.... id invest in nanoskin if I were you. Chances are you'll go through multiple clay bars if your car is in real bad shape.

shane83
04-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Thanks, that looks good to me.

My car is not in that bad of a shape as its only 7 months old (bought brand new).

I did the baggie test on the paint all over the car and at some places I don't even feel any contaminants.

Any comment on which polish I should get to remove swirls/light scratches? They are only visible in direct sunlight..otherwise the paint looks nice and clean. But I would like to restore it to the original high gloss finish without swirls.

CDot
04-18-2014, 02:06 PM
Since you said money is tight, Megs Ultimate Polish is very good. Toyota paint is fairly soft, so it should do well.

Desertnate
04-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Since you said money is tight, Megs Ultimate Polish is very good. Toyota paint is fairly soft, so it should do well.

Yes it is. I've used it on my wife's Toyota Highlander and achieved very good results. No need to use a compound.

shane83
04-18-2014, 05:50 PM
I forgot to ask. I have this orbital polisher sitting around in the garage. I've never used it and I got it as a gift.

You think this will do or should I still order the GR6"?

Simoniz Palm Grip Polisher, 8-in. | Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/simoniz-palm-grip-polisher-8-in-0399056p.html#.U1GpG-ZdVng)

The only problem is that I don't think a polishing pad will stick onto the surface of the polisher..as it is designed for a bonnet attachment to wrap around I think.