PDA

View Full Version : Rupes LHR 75e washer mod

Just02896
04-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Anyone do the washer mod on the Rupes Mini? I love my mini but would like a more consistant rotation on surfaces other than perfectly flat ones.

Evan.J
04-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Yes you can do it. I haven't has a chance to mess with mine but even without it when I tested it it has power.

Just02896
04-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Yes you can do it. I haven't has a chance to mess with mine but even without it when I tested it it has power.

Don't get me wrong, I've used my mini enough to know its powerful, quiet, and very smooth. I would just like to have the option of applying more down pressure without losing pad rotation. If the mini was a forced rotation unit, it would absolutely be my favorite polisher!

SR99
04-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Does the backing plate touch the housing? An unboxing video I watched said that it doesn't. If it's not touching, a washer spacer will not accomplish anything useful as in the case of the 15 and 21.

FUNX650
04-16-2014, 10:10 PM
-I find myself returning to the below Mike Phillips' posting, time and time again, whenever the RUPES "washer mod" is brought up in conversation.

-Perhaps it's from remembering my experiences over the years of seeing the results when safety-devices have been by-passed, or modified---even to the extent to render them useless---on machinery and tools.

-Regardless of this safety concern of mine:
I'll retype the first line of Mike's below posting, if only to
stress the point that: I still believe in freedom of choice.

Bob

Individuals can do as they please because they are only held accountable to themselves.

I spoke with Marco D'Inca and Andreas, (Rupes Engineers), Francesco, the Marketing & Communications Manager, (in control of the message), Gionata, the Business Development Director, Guido, the President of Rupes, Chip, the US Market Development Manager and Torben the Sales Manager for North Europe, a number of times in our booths plus a couple of closed meetings and not a single one of them suggested or recommended modifying their tools with a washer or in any other manner.

Thanks for asking the question though as it gives me the opportunity to share the official Rupes message.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Does the backing plate touch the housing?
Good question. No, it doesn't. The washer mod is worthless with the 75E.

All other Rupes polishers, USE THE WASHER MOD!!!

Tato
04-16-2014, 11:51 PM
Is this mini better than a DA (like Meg's v2 DA) using 3" plate?

I'm asking this because I'm willing to sell my Meg's (here in Brazil, used, it worth ~400-500$), so I'll use the money to order a rupes mini for spots at AG.

I'll open a thread when my time arrive, but any input would be helpful now.

Kind Regards.

allenk4
04-17-2014, 12:57 AM
Is this mini better than a DA (like Meg's v2 DA) using 3" plate?

I'm asking this because I'm willing to sell my Meg's (here in Brazil, used, it worth ~400-500$), so I'll use the money to order a rupes mini for spots at AG.

I'll open a thread when my time arrive, but any input would be helpful now.

Kind Regards.

If a Meg's DA is worth $400 down there....we should go into business!

I will ship direct to you for $300 each!

But then again, there is this:

Brazil operates a ‘Simplified Tax Regime’, where imports by post or courier valued between US $50 and US $3,000 are subject to a flat 60% Import Tax on the CIF value of the import.

allenk4
04-17-2014, 01:01 AM
Oh...forgot about these:

Other taxes and customs fees:

IPI is a Federal Excise Tax. It ranges between 0% and 300% and is calculated on the CIF value of an import.
PIS, PASEP and COFINS, are Federal Taxes and are calculated on the sum of the CIF value, plus duty, plus any IPI applicable.

Storage fee: 1% of the sum of CIF value and duty

Air Handling fee: BRL 0.015 per kg

Airport fee: 50% of the sum of the storage fee and the air handling fee

Declaration fee: a flat fee of BRL 30 per shipment

Tato
04-17-2014, 06:27 AM
Trust me, a new one goes from ~740$. And that's on the official 3M / Meguiar's Store!

G110V2 - Politriz Dual Action Roto Orbital (http://loja.3m.com.br/meguiars/index.php/politriz-dual-action/g110v2-politriz-dual-action-roto-orbital.html)

See the Price (R$1660) and type at google:

'1660 reais in USD'

Mine is used, but in new condition and I have 2 more backing plates and accessories.

The Rupes Mini, if I order, would be added ~$200-$300 of shipping + taxes, so maybe I will even need to add some money after selling the Meg's DA.

But the question is:

Is it worth selling it for a Mini Rupes or should I keep the Meg's DA + 3" plate and 4" pads?

Fact is, my Meg's DA is dusting on the shelf, I'm just using the 3401 + 6.5", 5" and 4" with changeable backing plates.

Sometimes I feel like a small DA would add something to my 'arsenal'.

Thank you very much in advance,

Kind Regards.

zmcgovern45
04-17-2014, 06:40 AM
Does the backing plate touch the housing? An unboxing video I watched said that it doesn't. If it's not touching, a washer spacer will not accomplish anything useful as in the case of the 15 and 21.

^this.

Washer mod is not beneficial on the 75e from what I have read

Just02896
04-17-2014, 07:32 AM
Well thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately my fears have been confirmed that the mini's rotation cannot be improved upon. I'm used to correcting with a flex 3401 and love the option of applying a bit more pressure without loss of rotation in order to correct tougher spots without having to change pads or product. However, the mini works beautifully on motorcycles!

WRAPT C5Z06
04-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Well thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately my fears have been confirmed that the mini's rotation cannot be improved upon. I'm used to correcting with a flex 3401 and love the option of applying a bit more pressure without loss of rotation in order to correct tougher spots without having to change pads or product. However, the mini works beautifully on motorcycles!
I have found when using foam pads with the 75E, very little pressure(if any) should be used. It does not do well with sharp angles when using foam. It does good when the panel is just wide enough for the pad and flat. However, I decided to try it with Meg's 3" MF finishing discs. Figured the soft foam interface would help with contours. Holy cow, it made a HUGE difference. Thing rotated like a bat outta hell! Haven't tried the 3" MF cutting discs yet.