PDA

View Full Version : 3m automotive paint film

Jeremy Stubbert
04-16-2014, 08:09 PM
A friend of mine has a black Saleen Mustang with a 3m film on his hood, front fascia, side skirts and in the rear. It has seen better days. How can this be safely removed?

Evan.J
04-16-2014, 08:15 PM
Steam is the best way or a heat gun. You want to heat up and soften the adhesive and pull very slowly.

Can you post some photos?

Is the film cracked at all?

Jeremy Stubbert
04-16-2014, 08:28 PM
To be honest it looks like the 3m film did what it is supposed to do "protect" the paint. There are some edges that have lifted and there is some 1/4" sections that have lifted probably due to rocks. It is also very scratched. He would like to put this is some car shows and it is the one eye sore. There is no cracking that we could see. Will there be any remaining residue from the adhesive? If yes what should I use to remove?

Evan.J
04-16-2014, 08:36 PM
To be honest it looks like the 3m film did what it is supposed to do "protect" the paint. There are some edges that have lifted and there is some 1/4" sections that have lifted probably due to rocks. It is also very scratched. He would like to put this is some car shows and it is the one eye sore. There is no cracking that we could see. Will there be any remaining residue from the adhesive? If yes what should I use?

If there is and left over adhesive you can use 3m adhesive remover.

What he could so if he liked the protection I would polish the paint then have Xpel Ultimate put down over the areas again. If he hasn't he should read up on Xpel Ultimate film its at the top when it come to PPF with self healing capabilities and an automotive clear coat as the top coat that has UV protection Xpel gives the film a 10 year warranty as well just a few reason why its great.

Blackthorn One
04-16-2014, 08:37 PM
To be honest it looks like the 3m film did what it is supposed to do "protect" the paint. There are some edges that have lifted and there is some 1/4" sections that have lifted probably due to rocks. It is also very scratched. He would like to put this is some car shows and it is the one eye sore. There is no cracking that we could see. Will there be any remaining residue from the adhesive? If yes what should I use to remove?
3M adhesive cleaner.

Jeremy Stubbert
04-16-2014, 08:52 PM
Thanks guys, we will give this a shot.

Jeremy Stubbert
04-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Is the 3m adhesive remover the same as acetone?

rms64
04-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Nothing to really add here, except good luck with your efforts and would love to see some pics of that Saleen. :xyxthumbs:

I sure do miss mine...:rolleyes:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/4599saleen11.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/4599saleen21.jpg

Jeremy Stubbert
04-16-2014, 09:04 PM
I will try to get some before and after photo's.