PDA

View Full Version : Prepping a new car

HateSwirls
04-16-2014, 08:49 AM
As most of you know I just bought me a new car two days ago, the paint had a lot of swirls but I couldn't believe how bad it was with the contaminants on it, sounds like sand paper , I'm using my a Handy Prep towel which makes it much faster.

The avg. person buys a new car and thinks they don't have to do anything to it no being they were told the car was "sealed" maybe so but it's a Teflon coating and they only use it to protect it while they trailer it to a dealership, by the time someone buys the car it doesn't have any protection on it, I always stress this to my customers, more wont but into what I tell them.
Which a few of them was with me while I'm polishing my car and adding protection , the shine is much wetter looking and so smooth.
The back of this car is the worst, it's so rough so I'll do it next, I'm taking my time on it, I know it will pay off in the short and long term.
It seemed to not have any protection on my car when I bought it.

Just02896
04-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Dealerships have no idea what "detailing" or "protection" is! They only know how to prep and sell a car and as we all know, "prep" isn't a complete treatment. It's merely a step in the process.

sethr
04-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Dealers do strange things. You never get a car that is nearly as shiney as what is in the showroom!!

And, they do have some tricks I haven't figured out. I bought a year-old Camry last July. Black metallic of all things. They used SOMETHING to hide all the minute scratches in the clearcoat and the rock pits in the front bumper that are now white!! I'd love to find out what.

Clay, polish, Duragloss and everything started to show. Meguiars Black Wax and Turtle Wax Black Detailer don't do squat.

The sales manager, whom I know beyond that dealership, did say to me, "If I want a car detailed, I take it somewhere else."

CDot
04-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Congratz! What kinda car u get?

You had a Black RAV4 previously right?

CDot
04-16-2014, 09:36 AM
And, they do have some tricks I haven't figured out. I bought a year-old Camry last July. Black metallic of all things. They used SOMETHING to hide all the minute scratches in the clearcoat and the rock pits in the front bumper that are now white!! I'd love to find out what.

When we got my wife's Pilot last fall, the car looked amazing ('09 from CarMax). I knew they had done something to it, but wasn't sure what. The first week I had some grime get on the hood so I sprayed some QD-diluted DP RW&G to clean it up and there was this thick/sticky glaze or something that started to come off when I did so. I thought glazes were "softer" than that, but that stuff had the consistency of transparent glue.

They also put some IRONCLAD dressing on the tires as well; I went thru 3 rounds--in 3 weeks--of tire/wheel cleaner + a tire brush and it still didn't come off. I gave up and waited 2-3 more weeks and it finally wore off. Not sure what it was, but it was crazy strong.

jem7sk
04-16-2014, 11:34 AM
I found two big long scratches on top of my hatch on both of my cars that weren't there until I washed mine the first time. It was like they cut the wrapper off there. Dealerships today don't take care of the cars like they used too.

HateSwirls
04-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Congratz! What kinda car u get?

You had a Black RAV4 previously right?

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage, red.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/vpcajun/Mobile%20Uploads/20140414_172559_zpspjhiq9vu.jpg

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/vpcajun/Mobile%20Uploads/20140414_172647_zpsunhdtpzi.jpg

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/vpcajun/Mobile%20Uploads/20140414_172638_zpswpmuuooe.jpg

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/vpcajun/Mobile%20Uploads/20140414_172433_zpsyvhoiko0.jpg

I went on a 100 mile trip, round trip , I got 43.7MPG:dblthumb2:

Still prepping it, still working on the exterior.

CDot
04-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Over 40mpg; wow!

HateSwirls
04-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Over 40mpg; wow!

Yes and with a good ride plus the car drives really well, I forgot I was driving a small car until I stepped out of it, I smiled and thought, not bad, I made a great deal. :dblthumb2: