PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a new DA Polisher

The Critic
04-16-2014, 02:34 AM
Hey guys,

I think I am in the market for a new DA polisher again. I just sold my Flex 3401 and plan to use the proceeds towards purchasing a new one that I can use 5.5" pads with.

Currently, these are the polishers that I have:

Rupes LHR 21ES BigFoot - I use this for cutting and finishing with 6.5" and 7" pads
Rupes LHR 75E Mini BigFoot - I use this one with 3" foam pads for finishing headlights, cutting/finishing pillars + bumpers. I will soon be using this with sanding discs for sanding headlights and spot repairs.
Flex PE14 Rotary - I use this for polishing windshields, removing sand scratches during headlight restorations and removing orange peel. Some day I will feel comfortable using it on the compounding step of a full-vehicle correction, but that time has not arrived.

I have a lot of 5.5" pads and would like to have a good DA polisher than I can use them with. I think this next polisher will be the one that I reach for to do quick AIO or 1-step jobs. I have used and am not a fan of the Rupes LHR 21ES/5" backing plate combo.

Right now, here are the two that I am looking at:

1) Rupes LHR 12E Duetto -

Pros: Larger throw (12mm), low NVH, great build quality
Cons: Price

2) Griots Garage

Pros: Price, higher power motor
Cons: Shorter stroke (8mm), lower build quality

Comparison between the two: Rupes vs. Griots Showdown - Rupes Duetto and Mini vs. Griot's 6 and 3 inch polishers - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/paint-correction-gloss-enhancement/44177-rupes-vs-griots-showdown-rupes-duetto-mini-vs-griots-6-3-inch-polishers.html)

Thoughts, guys?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-16-2014, 03:00 AM
Hi Michael,

Seeing as you curently have two of the RUPES polishers, why not save up for the Duetto and complete your inventory?

I think you would be much happier with another RUPES anyways.... Besides, in Todd's review the Duetto out gunned the GG.

Mike

Evan.J
04-16-2014, 05:43 AM
Hi Michael,

Seeing as you curently have two of the RUPES polishers, why not save up for the Duetto and complete your inventory?

I think you would be much happier with another RUPES anyways.... Besides, in Todd's review the Duetto out gunned the GG.

Mike

My thoughts as well.

After playing with all the polishers in the line up I am planning to add the 75, the 12, and the 15 to my arsenal.

Dogfather
04-16-2014, 09:34 AM
When considering the pros and cons of the Griots, keep in mind their lifetime warranty(pro) will do much to offset the poorer build quality(con).