PDA

View Full Version : Ultima Waterless Wash+, spoiled or contaminated?

alfadub
04-16-2014, 02:30 AM
I have a 22 oz spray bottle of Ultima Waterless Wash Plus, and I opened it to transfer a smaller amount to a small spray bottle.

When I opened it, I was confused and a bit grossed out to find some black gunk on the tubing of the sprayer.

When I poured a little into the smaller spray bottle, I saw a membranous black clump in it. I looked into the original 22 oz bottle and saw several of these small black clumps in the solution.

I have not refilled the original 22 oz bottle, nor have I put any other liquid into that spray bottle.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Does anyone know what this is?

Setec Astronomy
04-16-2014, 02:33 AM
Does anyone know what this is?

It looks like some black gunk. How has this been stored? Sometimes water-based products start growing stuff in them.

Why is the solution not cloudy and green? That doesn't even look like UWW.

alfadub
04-16-2014, 02:41 AM
It looks like some black gunk. How has this been stored? Sometimes water-based products start growing stuff in them.

Why is the solution not cloudy and green? That doesn't even look like UWW.

It has been stored in my garage. It has not been frozen. It spent several days in my bathroom.

The solution that came from this bottle has always been slightly cloudy white, not green. I also wondered why it was not green, since I have a bottle of UWW+ concentrate that is lime colored, and I would have thought that the factory pre-diluted formula from the 22 oz spray bottle would be the same stuff as the concentrate, only diluted.

I have read posts from others that UWW+ smells good. The solution in my 22 oz spray bottle has never had an appealing scent. I wouldn't say it smells rotten, but it does not have an appealing scent.

Is it possible that I just got a bad batch?

Setec Astronomy
04-16-2014, 02:46 AM
Does your garage get hot? That will contribute to microbial growth.

Honestly, maybe the mixed color is white, I don't know. I have the concentrate bottle and as you know it is green, and when I mix it I always do it in the Ultima spray bottle, which is translucent blue. I know it's cloudy when it's mixed, but maybe it's not green.

It does smell good though, I think someone described it as kiwi-lime. If you re-use that bottle, use something to kill whatever is growing in there, or it will just happen again.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-16-2014, 03:02 AM
As Setec has mentioned, UWW+ should have a light green hue when properly mixed. That isn't close IMO.

I would toss it all out and buy fresh product.

mwoolfso
04-16-2014, 05:59 AM
It's definitely something organic. You can replace it or do a "15-min dip" in some anti-microbial products such as peroxide, ammonia or even APC.

In the future, to avoid this type of thing use distilled water for your waterless wash mixtures. You will avoid the organic growth and you may even see a difference with how the product performs.

Setec Astronomy
04-16-2014, 07:44 AM
In the future, to avoid this type of thing use distilled water for your waterless wash mixtures. You will avoid the organic growth and you may even see a difference with how the product performs.

How is distilled water going to help? It doesn't even have any chlorine to kill anything. I'm not arguing that distilled water is a good choice (although I usually use my soft tap water unless I'm mixing glass cleaner), I just don't think distilled is going to be any better for preventing the black death he's getting.

golliger
04-16-2014, 07:56 AM
As Setec has mentioned, UWW+ should have a light green hue when properly mixed. That isn't close IMO.

I would toss it all out and buy fresh product.

I have had both the concentrate and the RTU, and the RTU was a white milky color. Didn't have the black gunk though.

alfadub
04-16-2014, 10:51 AM
I have had both the concentrate and the RTU, and the RTU was a white milky color. Didn't have the black gunk though.

The product in question was the ready-to-use 22 oz spray bottle, which did not require any mixing.

Is the RTU product supposed to have the same scent as the concentrate? I wonder why concentrate is green, whereas the RTU product is white instead of a paler green.

Has nobody else experienced a similar problem?

Setec Astronomy
04-16-2014, 10:57 AM
I wonder why concentrate is green, whereas the RTU product is white instead of a paler green.

I think that's just a color intensity thing, take something pale green and dilute it 44:1 and it's probably not going to look very green anymore.

I would presume the RTU smells the same, back when I bought it they used to bundle an empty spray bottle with the concentrate, so it was really a no-brainer to buy that for twice what the RTU spray bottle costs. Sounds like maybe you got an old bottle that maybe was sitting in a hot warehouse (is the AG warehouse air conditioned? I hope so) or your hot garage.

swanicyouth
04-16-2014, 11:28 AM
Black funk shouldn't be there. Sounds like mold. I'd chuck it. I've had this product mixed for a long time and the color didn't fade.