PDA

View Full Version : Q regarding waxing techniques and machines

SiliconX
07-18-2007, 05:12 PM
So we've been discussing detaling on a Civic community I belong to. I typically try to offer as much advice as I can, most of which comes from reading stuff on here and in the AG guides, as well as my limited experience.

One of the topics that came up was how exactly to apply wax. I recommended not waxing in a circular motion, but rather a back and forth motion, to minimize swirls.

But a question came up that I was rather stumped on. If that is indeed the correct way of applying wax, why aren't machines designed that way? Not circular, but rather a bi-directional motion. Or am I just off, and circular motions are indeed the best way to wax? I was under the impression they weren't.

Al-53
07-18-2007, 05:24 PM
I was always told to apply a wax or sealant the way the winds blows over the car and the way the rain drips on the side....thats the way I have done it for years....reason was explained to me ..the straight line motion reflects the light better to give a glimmering gloss and also to reduce spiderwebbing effect....I wash in straight lines also....

some sealants and wax's also say to apply that way also....so there has to be some thing to it....its a habit for me now...

AL

sneek
07-18-2007, 05:33 PM
:S I don't do any of that. :) I wax with my PC. Before each panel I use QD or some ONR and make sure it is 100% clean. Then I apply my wax to the pad and then the pad to the finish. I think people tell you not to apply wax in a circular motion becaues they think wax is abrasive and causes swirls. Most waxes that I use now have no cleaning ability or very little cleaning ability, so I don't worry about it. If the product has no abrasives, and the pad isn's aggresive, how would a machine inflict swirls?

As for the wind thing...has anyone tested this? Apply it side by side with something applied with a PC and I would be hard pressed to find that the straightly (making up words here) applied wax looked better.

Bobjones
07-18-2007, 05:38 PM
I apply with the RO and the appropriate pad, but when by hand, I follow the same way as what Al does.

SiliconX
07-18-2007, 05:40 PM
I apply it that way as well. But then why aren't there bi-directional machines if that's the correct way of doing it?

Al-53
07-18-2007, 05:44 PM
it has nothing to do with the wind ..it just the direction to apply...front to back is all....you see every concourse person doing it that way also...it has to do with the straight line method reflects light better...and a circular does not..

example....do a wood floor with ureathane front to back motion with a roller...and do the same in a circular motion....let them both dry...see whats looks best..

AL

BILL
07-18-2007, 05:44 PM
I was always told to apply a wax or sealant the way the winds blows over the car and the way the rain drips on the side....thats the way I have done it for years....reason was explained to me ..the straight line motion reflects the light better to give a glimmering gloss and also to reduce spiderwebbing effect....I wash in straight lines also....

some sealants and wax's also say to apply that way also....so there has to be some thing to it....its a habit for me now...

AL

Thats what i do and have done....GOOD TIP.;)

sneek
07-18-2007, 05:45 PM
it has nothing to do with the wind ..it just the direction to apply...front to back is all....you see every concourse person doing it that way also...it has to do with the straight line method reflects light better...and a circular does not..

example....do a wood floor front to back motion with a roller...and do the same in a circular motion....let them both dry...see whats looks best..

AL

ahh, I thought you were talking about something else. Some person told me that I should wax my car the way the wind flows so my car would be more aerodynamic.

Al-53
07-18-2007, 05:49 PM
I apply it that way as well. But then why aren't there bi-directional machines if that's the correct way of doing it?

polishing is different...you want either a circular or random motion..that way you have the abrasives cutting in different patterns....scratches and marring go in all directions..gives you the spider webs effect....so in polishing you want that motion...

AL

ScottB
07-18-2007, 06:02 PM
I use the straight line method also as it reduces the risk of swirls if a contaminent blows on surface while waxing. I would not use machine for same reason. If spinning at 3000 rpms and some sand lands on paint, you think it would NOT be noticed ??

For polishing it is the speed and heat transfer as well as abrasive power of polish and pad that do the work. No contaminent blowing onto the surface should interupt this process unless maybe a small rock.

Gnarboots11
07-18-2007, 06:45 PM
i wax front to back in straight lines because it feels good. I like applying by hand because it is my favorite step in the process. After working with the machine polishing it is nice and relaxing to actually kick back with a beer and apply the wax by hand. It makes me feel one with the car and love it. It's theraputic.

SiliconX
07-18-2007, 08:04 PM
polishing is different...you want either a circular or random motion..that way you have the abrasives cutting in different patterns....scratches and marring go in all directions..gives you the spider webs effect....so in polishing you want that motion...

AL

Yeah, that's exactly what I was looking for.