PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a black wax?

Blackthorn One
04-15-2014, 09:08 PM
I have a garage queen with single stage original lacquer paint that is very thin, that has some scratches I's like to hide rather than try to polish out.
I don't ever want to repaint the car, to maintain the originality.

I want a wax that has the rich warm look of a nuba, and not so much the sparkle of a sealant. I want something that mostly hides flaws while still looking as car show perfect as possible.
Durability would be nice, and I would prefer one without too many oils that will attract dust.
I'vbe never used a black wax, and I know there are a few out there like Dodo Juice Crystal Noir, Zymol ebony, Chemical Guys, Pinnacle,Blackfire, ect.

Ao1051
04-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Get the 900 dollar wax from CG... My boss just bought it for his 67 mustang and Holy S&@*!!!! Best wax I've seen

custmsprty
04-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Blackfire Black Ice

Blackthorn One
04-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Get the 900 dollar wax from CG... My boss just bought it for his 67 mustang and Holy S&@*!!!! Best wax I've seen
While I'm sure that is a nice wax, and I wouldn't mind having it, I want a recommendation for a wax that is black in color, and not just a wax that looks great on a perfectly polished black car with no scratches.
In addition to a simple name of a wax, I would like a short explanation of what properties it has, and why you would suggest it for my "application ":) unless it simply meets my criteria best, and what other black waxes you have tried to compare it to.

valleyrider
04-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Waxes are a very subjective product when it comes to appearance. You want one with plenty of fill capacity to be able to fill in the swirls.

While it is not a wax I like Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze for its filling ability. It is black in color like you are desiring but it is also glaze and needs to be topped with something or it will have very poor longevity.

I use it on my car before a cars and coffee or whenever I want it too look good for a day or two.

Blackthorn One
04-15-2014, 10:32 PM
Waxes are a very subjective product when it comes to appearance. You want one with plenty of fill capacity to be able to fill in the swirls.

While it is not a wax I like Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze for its filling ability. It is black in color like you are desiring but it is also glaze and needs to be topped with something or it will have very poor longevity.

I use it on my car before a cars and coffee or whenever I want it too look good for a day or two.
Actually I have some Black Hole glaze which I just used. It did seem to really help. I was looking for a wax that would further enhance it.

Radarryan
04-15-2014, 11:01 PM
While I haven't used Zymöl Ebony, every wax I've used from them I've loved. I think Ebony is designed for single stage paint, so that's a plus, too. I have also heard good things about BlackFire BlackICE. I believe that the Zymöl offering is significantly less expensive, but I think I would go with those two if I wanted a black colored wax.

brondondolon
04-15-2014, 11:03 PM
I've used a few black waxes and I don't know what other people's opinions are but even though I hate all their other products I have to cast my vote for turtle wax black box. The wax fills light scratches very well. It is as black as charcoal and even kind of smells like it. I use it from time to time when I don't want to polish. It's $20 a box and it's sold at Wal-Mart and any big auto parts store. It comes with a spray wax a cleaner wax and a carnuba wax. Frankly I throw the spray and cleaner wax away because I feel it's redundant to use them. It does a great job and cost very little in comparison. Next time you're at Wal-Mart or an auto parts store pick some up.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Colinpd137
04-15-2014, 11:48 PM
X2 for Blackfire Blackice

FUNX650
04-16-2014, 01:41 AM
For your vehicle's SS lacquer paint...
First: Apply Meguiar's #7.
Next: Apply Meguiar's #26

Don't get snookered by these "color waxes"!

Bob

Blackthorn One
04-16-2014, 02:11 AM
For your vehicle's lacquer paint...
First: Apply Meguiar's #7.
Next: Apply Meguiar's #26

Bob
I have been doing the #7.
Unfortunately I hand polished the car first, then buffed lightly by Flex DA, THEN I found out about #7. There are still some scratches in some spots I could buff out. I didnt buff the roof yet. However, I figure I removed a lot of scratches by hand so it's not all bad.

The thing is that the fender paint is whisper thin, and is showing primer. The door is barely showing. The rest of the car is fairly ok thickness wise, but I still want to be cautious.
Half the deck has 14 coats of #7, where the paint is really thick, although I realize that was overkill, not to mention a lot of work. I have determined 2-3 coats is optimum.