PDA

View Full Version : Is spray wax all I need after prep?

Pages : [1] 2

jem7sk
04-15-2014, 05:56 PM
I normally wash my car once a week with the regular two bucket method or the rinseless two bucket method and then waterless wash it two or three times in between. If I prep my car with clay bar and polish could I get away with something like Meguiar's Ultimate Spray Wax and no other wax/sealant? Seeing as how I also use it as a drying aid after I wash the car? It is getting spray wax once or twice a week.

spiralout462
04-15-2014, 06:16 PM
After taking the time to clay and polish I would definitely add a coat of substantial protection! Why short change yourself? Just my opinion of course.....

Bunky
04-15-2014, 06:18 PM
I would also recommend a more durable product for bird bombs, etc. but if you apply a sealant and then use the spray wax as you planned your ride will always look just detailed after each wash.

custmsprty
04-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Definitely a sealant like WG 3.0 or Blackfire Sealant.

trekkeruss
04-15-2014, 07:23 PM
If I prep my car with clay bar and polish could I get away with something like Meguiar's Ultimate Spray Wax and no other wax/sealant? Seeing as how I also use it as a drying aid after I wash the car? It is getting spray wax once or twice a week.

Spray waxes are meant to fortify an existing last-step-product. They are not meant to be used alone. Some LSP go on and come off really easily, so don't skip out on it.

spiralout462
04-15-2014, 07:32 PM
I should also add; the less you rub a towel on your vehicle the better chance you have of keeping it swirl free. This is especially important with dark, soft paint.

CowboyTruckn
04-15-2014, 07:48 PM
I agree with the crowd. Put a more durable base down and use the spray between waxings.

FUNX650
04-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Re: Is spray wax all I need after prep?

Yes!..Especially if that spray-Wax is Optimum Car Wax.

Bob

HD.Detailing
04-15-2014, 08:09 PM

Bob

agree or spray sealant wowa

HateSwirls
04-15-2014, 08:20 PM
There's nothing that says you couldn't maintain it with a spray wax but you'll find yourself applying it often.

Atleast apply a coat of Meguiar's NXT then maintain it with a spray wax, I love the Duragloss 951, last a little longer than any over the counter product.

spiralout462
04-15-2014, 08:22 PM

Bob

agree or spray sealant wowa

Good points! Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal or BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal offer excellent stand alone protection.

jem7sk
04-15-2014, 08:25 PM

Bob

So how is Optimum different/better than Meguiars?

jem7sk
04-15-2014, 08:27 PM
I should also add; the less you rub a towel on your vehicle the better chance you have of keeping it swirl free. This is especially important with dark, soft paint.

This makes me think I am cleaning it too much...

spiralout462
04-15-2014, 08:34 PM
So how is Optimum different/better than Meguiars?

The Optimum product generally last much longer and is thought to offer more protection than "traditional" spray waxes such as the Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax.

valleyrider
04-15-2014, 08:53 PM
This makes me think I am cleaning it too much...

Some people would say cleaning it every other day (once a week plus 2 or 3 times in between) is a bit excessive but that is all personal opinion.

You can clean it as often as you want and if you are using proper techniques you can keep it clean without swirling it.

The real question to be answered is; If you clean your car every other day, how much additional protection do you really need?