PDA

View Full Version : looking to purchase first random orbital polisher

pjoseph24
04-15-2014, 02:15 PM
as the title states looking to purchase first orbital polisher. Did some reading and it looks like the two popular models are:
Griot's Garage -10813X and Porter Cable 7424XP.

Primary use will be on my own car but will eventually branch out to family and friends for some extra cash.

Are there any real differences between the two models besides warranty period?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks

parttimer
04-15-2014, 02:26 PM
griots griot griots

trekkeruss
04-15-2014, 02:38 PM
The Griots has a more powerful motor for better correction ability, and you get a lifetime warranty. No brainer.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Hi, welcome to AGO!

As mentioned the Griots has more power and a lifetime warranty....

minorc
04-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Rupes duetto?

ski2
04-15-2014, 03:09 PM
The Griots is by far the best bang for the buck for someone just starting out--equipped with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads it can tackle anything you might throw at it and it's very difficult to make it bog down under pressure. It may take longer than a Flex or a Rupes but then again it's about $130-140 rather than $320-450. Don't forget the lifetime warranty and the excellent Griots customer service. If after getting into machine polishing with the Griots you really like it, you can always dedicate the Griots to a 3" or 4" pad and purchase one of the more advanced machines.

PhoenixLLC
04-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Welcome to the forum.Know this,you do not need to spend hundreds of dollars on a NAME to make money,unless you want to.I debated this as well and I can get the Griots HD for $122 shipped.Will the Rupes offer less vibration and more control,maybe,i have not used one,so I do not know.I do know that my Harbor freight has cost me,with all mods done to it,about $65.00 total.I have owned it 3 weeks and made enough to pay 2 house and 2 car notes with it already,and that is just side work.I bought it first to develop an excellent technique and continue my education and understanding of paint correction and correct compounds and supplies to use on which job, till I felt like I NEEDED a Rupes.Just something to think about!

Happy Detailing!

Dr_Pain
04-15-2014, 03:19 PM
GG6 as other said... good intro machine

Then spend the money and buy a Rupes :)

pjoseph24
04-15-2014, 09:16 PM
appreciate all the replies, going to order the Griots Grarage one.

Regarding the backing plates and pads, it lists that the polisher comes with a 6" backing plate, but ski2's reply mentions equipped
with a 5" backing plate? Is this a typo or is it a recommendation to purchase a 5" backing plate to use instead of the 6" that it comes with?

Looking at the lake country flat foam pads, is it recommended to purchase all 6 of the different color pads that they offer?
Are there any other brands / kinds of pads that I should pick up as well?
Up until now I have been using the meguiars DA power system that attaches to a drill with the different pads offered by meguiars, so im not very familiar with the different pads offered by lake country.

Thanks again appreciate it.

12silvy
04-15-2014, 10:07 PM

Regarding the backing plates and pads, it lists that the polisher comes with a 6" backing plate, but ski2's reply mentions equipped
with a 5" backing plate? Is this a typo or is it a recommendation to purchase a 5" backing plate to use instead of the 6" that it comes with?

Looking at the lake country flat foam pads, is it recommended to purchase all 6 of the different color pads that they offer?
Up until now I have been using the meguiars DA power system that attaches to a drill with the different pads offered by meguiars, so im not very familiar with the different pads offered by lake country.

The majority of my pads are the lc flat pads. I usually use the orange for compounding, white for polish, grey for lsp/wax. To keep it really simple you could go with lc hydro tech pads. That line offers 3 pads one for cutting, polishing and finishing. I have the hyrdro's for my 3" pads.

You could look into the megs mf pads. Alot of people are using the cutting pads and then finishing with a foam pad. Im finding there is a slight learning curve with the mf pads though. In my opinion starting out I would stick with foam. To me there are less variables involved.

Tato
04-15-2014, 11:00 PM

I'll try not to write too much since there's a lot (also from me as well) on that in this forum.

Those DA (PC, GG and Meg's, etc) are what we call free-spindle DAs. That means it oscillates, and in consequence of that, the backing plate will spin.

If you want it to work effectively to correct defects on paint, you need the pad spinning all the time.

For that, it's great to mark the back of your backing plate so you can always see if it's spinning or only jiggling.

Being those DAs free spindle, if you use too larger (and thick) pad, it'll absorb much of machine movement and pad will barely spin.

Also, to correct defects, you'll need to add some pressure in order to make the abrasives work on the paint. Adding pressure to a thick and large pad will bog down machine easily, and that will largely reduce the effectiveness of your process.

To solve that, using a smaller backing plate and pads will make the polisher spin the pad in a more effective manner, so you'll achieve better results with it.

This is more 'true' for cutting pads, reasonably true for polishing pads, and not so true for finishing pads.

Cutting pads are (generally) coarser, so they will absorb even more machine movement. Larger size and thickness will also difficult pad spinning. In correction step, pad spinning is crucial.

Polishing pads are somewhat softer (generally), and will absorb less movement, however you need the pad spinning as well.

Finishing pads are generally softer, so they will spin easily absorbing even less machine movement.

That means you can use a 6.5" finishing pad for finishing step or even applying wax without any noticeable loss. When applying a thin coat of wax, pad spinning may be desirable but is less of an issue than when you're correcting paint.

Not that you can't use 6.5" cutting pads and correct with a GG or PC or Megs DA (I've done that many times), but you'll have to be veeery patient if you are looking for huge correction, specially on harder paints.

To apply AIO polishes, you can use a 6.5" polishing pad and yet achieve great results.

So, it's a matter of you know what you will do, and how you'll do it. Then you choose the right pads and plates to get the job done.

We always have the microfiber discs options to use with DAs, and that may also increase correction power. Many times, MF cutting will not finish down very well, needing some improvement. That may be achieved with a second step using a foam polishing or even finishing pad.

Hope that helps.

pjoseph24
04-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Thanks again for the replies appreciate it

From what I read I would like to pick up a 5"backing plate. Can someone provide a link to one that will fit the Giots polisher?
Most of the 5" plates I see say "....for the porter cable 7424xp...". And at the bottom says " designed to fit most DA polishers..."

Also I keep reading " hook & loop" what exactly does that mean I see nothing on the plates that resemble a hook and loop?

Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AG Online

ski2
04-16-2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks again for the replies appreciate it

From what I read I would like to pick up a 5"backing plate. Can someone provide a link to one that will fit the Giots polisher?
Most of the 5" plates I see say "....for the porter cable 7424xp...". And at the bottom says " designed to fit most DA polishers..."

Also I keep reading " hook & loop" what exactly does that mean I see nothing on the plates that resemble a hook and loop?

Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AG Online

Backing Plates are for the most part universal. If it fits the PC then it fits the Griots. The Hook and Loop is the black velcro on the pad surface where your pads attach so you can change pads when needed.

With the type of questions you're asking I would suggest you read Mike's book or at least some of his posts before you proceed (to get some basic background knowledge) that you can find here http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html