PDA

View Full Version : Rag seperation - please help

Robster
04-15-2014, 12:05 PM
I read in your book to seperate the rags used with water soluable products from rags used for waxes and sealants. My question is that once they are washed do these rags still need to be seperate and only used with the same type of products they were originally used with or once cleaned they can be used with any type of products. I have my rags so seperated they take up a lot of room. I want to do what is best but don't want to go overboard. Thanks a million my friend.

FUNX650
04-15-2014, 12:54 PM
{Been awhile since I called anything rags,
except for the old red shop ones.}

When I need to separate microfiber towels
for separate washes...
I continue to keep them separated after
they've been washed.

Less chance for cross-contamination...IMO.

Bob

RubbishReview
04-15-2014, 12:59 PM
I came up with a grading system that I use to divide my items up in 5 gallon buckets with lids on them.

Grade A:
Any item that I feel is safe to use on exterior paint/glass surfaces. I then have specific towels/items within this grade for drying the paint surface, for drying the windows, for removing wax/polish, for applying quick detailer, for applying wax/sealants, and for paint correction. For me at least I like to really divide up my "Grade A" items as much as possible to prevent scratching and to prevent getting items such as wax on my windows.

Grade B:
Any item that I feel is safe to use on the interior of the car only. I don't do a lot of subdividing within this grade, but I do like to keep the applicators for items such as leather cleaner/condition and dressings separate.

Grade C:
Any item that I feel can only be used in door jams, engines, wheels, or other super dirty areas. I don't do any subdividing at this grade level this is pretty much my "rag" category.

Grade F:
Any item that is dirty and needs to be washed. I keep these items divided according to their corresponding grade level above and only wash items that are from the same grade together.

So to the point once I have washed my items I still keep them in the same grade level, for example a Grade C item would never become a Grade A item just because it was washed. The same goes for subdivided items within a grade as well, for example a Grade A item that is used for wax removal would not later be used for applying a quick detailer. Also in case you were wondering I use the larger 2+ gallon ziplock bags to subdivide my items within the 5 gallon buckets.