PDA

View Full Version : Sticky dash..... What's going on?

Pages : [1] 2

rolop6
04-14-2014, 11:40 PM
Alright guys, here's the deal.
My ex has a 11' Kia Soul, I've maintained it since day 1. A while back I noticed the dash get a sticky feel, I've only used Meguiars hyper dressing as a protectant and Meguiars APC usually at 10:1. It feels like a sticky residue is left behind. I've tried mild soap and water, APC 10:1 but nothing. Anyone have any clue what it could be, or how to get rid of it?
Thanks

P.s. I didn't post pictures because it looks perfectly normal, it's just sticky and nothing was spilled on it it's the entire front dash.

cleanmycorolla
04-14-2014, 11:59 PM
she a smoker?

jamesboyy
04-15-2014, 12:07 AM
What it sounds like is just a normal effect of a through cleaning but it could also be film of some sort

herknav
04-15-2014, 12:09 AM
I've notice this on the wife's Odyssey and a couple of friends vehicles. Seems to be associated with passenger dash airbags. I've been able to get 95% out with a stout APC.

Saturnhusker
04-15-2014, 12:22 AM
I put on detail doctor indorsed by the count from counting cars and it's total crap. I used rubbing alcohol to clean my dash then I used 303 aerospace protectant and I used one coat and it looks like showroom shine that was 4 months ago.

rolop6
04-15-2014, 12:34 AM
She doesn't smoke, or use anything crazy on them.
I've maintained the car and it's not just one section it's the Whole dash.
I'll give a stronger APC a shot and some rubbing alcohol. Thanks guys

StangFan25
04-15-2014, 12:39 AM
Have you had the ac/heater checked? Does it give off a strange smell? Could be build up from a bad ac/heater causing the stickiness on the dash. Is it on the wheel or doors too?

rolop6
04-15-2014, 01:03 AM
No smell no other panels just Dash.
We bought the car brand new, and I've always maintained everything in the car from oil- car washes.

Photecs
04-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Sub'd. I'm curious to see how you make out... My wife's 2012 elantra's rear deck has this issue... Sticky.
She's a non smoker, and has never put anything on it. The front dash is fine.... But the rear deck feels like someone took a glue stick to it.

theblob640
04-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Sub'd. I'm curious to see how you make out... My wife's 2012 elantra's rear deck has this issue... Sticky.
She's a non smoker, and has never put anything on it. The front dash is fine.... But the rear deck feels like someone took a glue stick to it.

I have the same problem, tried wiping down the dust off our Elantra and the rear deck is sticky exactly as you described. Front is fine, just the rear.

jamesboyy
04-15-2014, 09:01 PM
This may sound weird but I have found out that it could one the following problems either your dashboard is melting or the plasticizers that are in the material of the dash could be migrating to surface making it sticky like a fly trap these two causes are common in foreign car brands and 70's 80'early 90's Mopar cars....hope this help some

Docpeanut
04-15-2014, 09:06 PM
How much does she "love" the car? Lol

Lexi65
04-15-2014, 11:01 PM
Alright guys, here's the deal.
My ex has a 11' Kia Soul, I've maintained it since day 1. A while back I noticed the dash get a sticky feel, I've only used Meguiars hyper dressing as a protectant and Meguiars APC usually at 10:1. It feels like a sticky residue is left behind. I've tried mild soap and water, APC 10:1 but nothing. Anyone have any clue what it could be, or how to get rid of it?
Thanks

P.s. I didn't post pictures because it looks perfectly normal, it's just sticky and nothing was spilled on it it's the entire front dash.

Do you live in a warm/hot climate? There was an issue similar
to this in some Lexus vehicles. The problem included cracking of the dashboard material. Lexus Dashboard material has since been
changed and problem solved in subsequent vehicles. Just a
thought.

Goodys
04-16-2014, 12:30 AM
Sub'd to this as well. I used to have a 98 Malibu that had the same problem, no clue...

jrs1418
04-16-2014, 05:06 AM
I have this on my car, and have seen it in many others. typically on the airbag panels. I believe these panels are a different material, maybe safer in case of facial impact?

I think the stickyness is the breakdown of the plastic from UV rays over time. Who knows, maybe the Hyper Dressing or APC had something to do wit it...

Hyper Dressing, iirc, doesn't have any protective properties. Its just a shine. You should look into PERL if you're like water based dressings that can be diluted and actually have UV protection.