PDA

View Full Version : Got my AG order, now what?

hydro556
07-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Alright guys, received my order. 6.5" orange pad, 6.5 white pad, 6.5 black pad and 6.5 wool pad. These are the hook and loop pads for use with my Makita 6040. This is my first real buffer. I would like opinions on how best to approach 2 projects.

First, my 97 Mazda 626, black. Paint is pretty good. It has several scratches that I would consider moderate as well as some swirl marks. I have a medium cut and light cut Turtle Wax compound. Also have some 3M stuff. In general terms, what is the best approach with the tools/product I have on hand? Thanks.

What sealants and/or wax would you guys recommend to follow with?

Tha second project is my boat, but I think I will start another thread when I get to that.

D
07-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Start with the least aggressive method and work your way up.

SiliconX
07-18-2007, 01:49 PM
For waxing black, I can't recommend Pinnacle Souveran enough.

http://members.shaw.ca/siliconx/Storage/souveran_black_vette.jpg

Heh, that was a pic Scott posted, but I have it stored on my webspace to show people with Red/Black cars how nice it looks.

hydro556
07-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Start with the least aggressive method and work your way up.

So use the lightest cut compound with the lightest cut pad, right?

I have a near new 06 Hemi Ram that is a beautiful Khaki color. I have never used compound on a newer vehicle, do you guys? I always just wax. I am under the impression that you use compound ONLY if there are problems with the paint that must be corrected, is this right? I am a newbie I know.

hydro556
07-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Guys-

I have watched a lot of the demo videos and have some questions.

From what I have gathered, It seems I should start with the lightest cut pads and compound, and use the Makitas random orbit mode instead of circular. I am having some problems understanding exactly how long to polish before the compound is "broken down". Is this determined by just looking at it, or can one not tell by looking and instead break it down for a certain amount of time? Can you use compound only on trouble spots then follow with a complete wax job, or will the areas that have been compounded look different than the areas that werent compounded? Sorry for so many questions, just want to do it right. I am starting with my old car, so if I screw up, its not the end of the world.

07ImpalaSS
07-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Those flames look awesome

SiliconX
07-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Guys-

I have watched a lot of the demo videos and have some questions.

From what I have gathered, It seems I should start with the lightest cut pads and compound, and use the Makitas random orbit mode instead of circular. I am having some problems understanding exactly how long to polish before the compound is "broken down". Is this determined by just looking at it, or can one not tell by looking and instead break it down for a certain amount of time? Can you use compound only on trouble spots then follow with a complete wax job, or will the areas that have been compounded look different than the areas that werent compounded? Sorry for so many questions, just want to do it right. I am starting with my old car, so if I screw up, its not the end of the world.

I'm sure there are people who can answer this better or correct me if i'm wrong.

But from what I understand from watching the PC7424 polishing videos, the polish is considered "broken down" when it becomes translucent.