PDA

View Full Version : Using Meguiars Wheel Brightener to decontaminate Rail Dust?

Pages : [1] 2

mark98xlt
04-13-2014, 11:02 PM
I've heard from someone purchasing detailing products at my local supplier state that you can use meguiars wheel brightener to remove rail dust on paint of cars, is there any truth to this?

I've used this product over the past year for when it comes the need to use such an aggressive product if the wheels are caked with built up brake dust and know all the precautions and warnings with how aggressive this product is just curious to this statement I heard before I even think of growing the balls to attempt spraying it on paint of a vehicle lol

VISITOR
04-13-2014, 11:09 PM
i would not use wheel brightener on paint!!!

dcjredline
04-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Lotsa wheels are painted though... but I wouldnt use it on my paint. IRON-X and clay also work on rail dust and that is what they are made for.

mark98xlt
04-14-2014, 12:30 AM
I have clay, along with the nanoscrub medium and fine wash mitts, I posted on this strictly out of curiosity

SYMAWD
04-14-2014, 12:44 AM
It should work as paint is clear coated just like the wheels. However, I wouldn't recommend the use of Wheel Brightener as it is not the safest product out there. It contains Ammonium Bifluoride which results in Hydrofluoric acid when put into solution with water.

Here are the hazards from the MSDS of ABF:
"Potential Acute Health Effects:
Extremely hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation. Very hazardous
in case of skin contact (corrosive). Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (permeator). The amount of tissue damage
depends on length of contact. Eye contact can result in corneal damage or blindness. Skin contact can produce inflammation
and blistering. Inhalation of dust will produce irritation to gastro-intestinal or respiratory tract, characterized by burning,
sneezing and coughing. Severe over-exposure can produce lung damage, choking, unconsciousness or death. Inflammation
of the eye is characterized by redness, watering, and itching. Skin inflammation is characterized by itching, scaling, reddening,
or, occasionally, blistering."

swanicyouth
04-14-2014, 06:52 AM
You can use WB on anyone's cars paint - except mine. Seriously though, do not use that stuff on paint. The factory "paint"/powder coating on wheels is much more durable/harder than the paint on the car body. It's not just all "the same paint". Not to mention WB may stain or mess up any trim it comes in contact with.

Use IronX & clay to remove rail dust on paint safely.

FUNX650
04-14-2014, 08:34 AM
I've heard from someone purchasing detailing products at my local supplier state that you can use meguiars wheel brightener to remove rail dust on paint of cars, is there any truth to this?

I've used this product over the past year for when it comes the need to use such an aggressive product if the wheels are caked with built up brake dust and know all the precautions and warnings with how aggressive this product is just curious to this statement I heard before I even think of growing the balls to attempt spraying it on paint of a vehicle lol
:wow: ...What a whim to read, first thing on a Monday morn!!

I've often wondered what the phrase:
"partial alienation of reason", was all about.
That is no longer the case.

And there are those that say I suffer from
occasional aberrations of intellect...HA!

Bob

statusdetailing
04-14-2014, 09:15 AM
WB can damage paint and can certainly damage wheels. I used it starting out and have since turned from my wicked ways. Use WB long enough and you'll damage something, yourself included. With all that risk, it still won't work as well as Iron X. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

WB is THE most unpredictable product I have ever used in detailing. It can cause streaks, haze, remove center cap paint from wheels, damage caliper paint, etc, etc, etc. I never used this product on an expensive car, only on very cheap dealer cars...and even then I'm not sure it was worth the risk.

I have gone down the same path you are going down. Don't go down that path.

Acids, in general, are not safe for detailing and HF is the WORST.

There are a few applications where acid may be necessary in detailing (rarely), but HF is almost always a poor choice. There are better "safer" acids.

mark98xlt
04-14-2014, 10:36 AM
:wow: ...What a whim to read, first thing on a Monday morn!!

I've often wondered what the phrase:
"partial alienation of reason", was all about.
That is no longer the case.

And there are those that say I suffer from
occasional aberrations of intellect...HA!

Bob

It wasn't my intention to use the product in this manner, I was mostly curious about the statement I heard to see if it was true, hence why I came on here to ask as you guys would hopefully debunk the truth to the statement I expected to hear from you

Audios S6
04-14-2014, 11:05 AM
It wasn't my intention to use the product in this manner, I was mostly curious about the statement I heard to see if it was true, hence why I came on here to ask as you guys would hopefully debunk the truth to the statement I expected to hear from you

Is there truth in that statement? Yes, WB can absolutely remove rail dust, and I'm sure it's done by some people. With the exception of the OP in one recently closed thread, I don't think anyone here would do such a thing, too risky. It can also be used to remove waterspots.

But in both cases, it's like using a axe for open heart surgery; sure an axe can be used to open someone's chest, but stick with the scalpel (Iron-X) for less collateral damage.

FUNX650
04-14-2014, 11:44 AM
It wasn't my intention to use the product in this manner, I was mostly curious about the statement I heard to see if it was true, hence why I came on here to ask as you guys would hopefully debunk the truth to the statement
I'm glad you had no intentions of using Meguiar's D140...
And: I don't believe I said anything to the contrary.

I expected to hear from you
I'm glad I didn't disappoint...
But why is that?

Bob

statusdetailing
04-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to go off the charts or offend anybody. That product is just a nightmare.

mark98xlt
04-14-2014, 02:21 PM
I'm glad you had no intentions of using Meguiar's D140...
And: I don't believe I said anything to the contrary.

I'm glad I didn't disappoint...
But why is that?

Bob

I meant the whole forums opinion, not specifically yours I replied that quickly at work and worded it wrong

FUNX650
04-14-2014, 02:26 PM
I meant the whole forums opinion, not specifically yours I replied that quickly at work and worded it wrong
:cheers:

Bob

benzw205
05-18-2020, 11:01 PM
hello,

I just found that Meguiars Wheel Brightener is the best to remove water spots on paint and windows !
Your trick worked ! after buying all the useless Meguiars products to remove water spots, I found videos explaining that what works best is the Wheel Brightener. I feel cheated to have used and waster time on anything else, you should be more honest and clearly tell that your Wheel Brightener is what will work best for anybody with water spots problem on car paint and windows !