PDA

View Full Version : Cleanser need with AIO?

Pages : [1] 2

scooterguitar
06-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Just received a bunch of items (thanks Jeff!), one is P21 Paint cleanser and the other Optimum Paint cleaner. I love using AIO, would using one of these before the AIO serve a purpose? I am assuming using one instead of AIO would be correct?
Thanks

BILL
06-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Just received a bunch of items (thanks Jeff!), one is P21 Paint cleanser and the other Optimum Paint cleaner. I love using AIO, would using one of these before the AIO serve a purpose? I am assuming using one instead of AIO would be correct?
Thanks

Hell I would.....although A.I.O. is also a cleaner sort of, I'd opt for the peace of mind of cleanliness using one of the cleaners before hand, I use mothers cleaner before A.I.O.

joe.p
06-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks
I think the paint cleanser might be similar to using clay,but i'm not sure.
I did start a thread on this if you would like to do a search..

ScottB
06-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks

AIO --- Chemical Cleaner w/ Some acrylic protection
P21S GEPPC --- Chemical Cleaner with light fillers, best used with carnuabas
Optimum --- Abrasive polish --- light filling, long working can be used with either sealant (remember to wipe finish with alcohol first) or a carnuaba (no need to wipe).

BILL
06-10-2006, 05:37 AM
AIO --- Chemical Cleaner w/ Some acrylic protection
P21S GEPPC --- Chemical Cleaner with light fillers, best used with carnuabas
Optimum --- Abrasive polish --- light filling, long working can be used with either sealant (remember to wipe finish with alcohol first) or a carnuaba (no need to wipe).

What is a heavy filling polish that would be used with wax or sealant???

ScottB
06-10-2006, 08:01 AM
no much for a sealant to my knowledge (because sealers dont like oils and fillers to bond too) .... but for a carnuaba move to a pure glaze prior to waxing. (Megs #7)

scooterguitar
06-10-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm lost! So, yes, use a cleaner prior to AIO or no? If I use one of these cleaners, then I need a glaze before sealant? Killr, you know too much for MY own good!

Meghan
06-10-2006, 08:39 AM
I'm lost! So, yes, use a cleaner prior to AIO or no? If I use one of these cleaners, then I need a glaze before sealant? Killr, you know too much for MY own good!
Scooter, AIO is a cleaner! Unless you have issues and need more prep like claying or any swirl remover... then you can start with AIO. :)

scooterguitar
06-10-2006, 08:45 AM
So AIO will "add more" to a finish than just using a cleaner? If a finish is heavily oxidized would it be wise to go for the cleaner, then a sealant like EXP or the Klasse silver bottle? I am getting ready to do two old cars that are baaaad, wanna impress these family members with my skillz, or at least my attempt!

BILL
06-10-2006, 09:22 AM
So AIO will "add more" to a finish than just using a cleaner? If a finish is heavily oxidized would it be wise to go for the cleaner, then a sealant like EXP or the Klasse silver bottle? I am getting ready to do two old cars that are baaaad, wanna impress these family members with my skillz, or at least my attempt!

If the cars are in the shape you say????

I would clay, use a cleaner.... klasse AIO. then the Klasse sealer.....
then hope for the best...........:righton:

BILL
06-10-2006, 09:24 AM

From what i understand from four star is that it's either sealer, or glaze, not both at the same time......bonding issues ......

But i may be mistaken and someone will surely guide me.......:)

ScottB
06-10-2006, 09:57 AM
I think sometimes we make things alot more complicated than need be, and its not who did the most steps, its actually who got the best finish, the best protection, with the littlest work in my book.

waxes -- wash, clay, polish (or paint cleaner),glaze (optional), protect
sealants --- wash, clay, polish, rewash (or wipe down), protect

Now within these parameters we also need to do what will work best given "our" tools. If you dont have a buffer, then abrasives our out. So we move to a paint cleaner. Also, if finish is in great shape we may only want to paint clean or use a light finishing polish. And if we decide to use a true abrasive polish (or SSR) then we likely can skip paint cleaning altogether.

Glazes are optional and best left to cars needing to hide some swirls. Sure it provides more wetness, but some waxes (like Souveran Paste) really look no better with them.

Sealants need a pristine or clean finish to bond to and cure properly. As such, you need to make sure prior to the "protect" stage that you rewash or wipe down (alcohol/water) in order to make the bonding work properly, especially if using a paint cleaner and or abrasive polishes (AIO - does not need this rewash/wipe down as acrylic protection with cleaners). Otherwise you are likely reducing the durability, and truthfully might as well used a carnuaba as you will likely reapply within a shorter period of time.

Now finally, in order to keep a finish looking great between waxing/sealing, we need to wash, dry, and consider additional protection as available.

Wash, Dry, QD+ (+ = product meant to add protection or gloss)

Crystal Mist is an example for any carnuaba, easy to use with a quick wipe and will add a boost. Likewise with a sealant , you might wanna add "gloss" to it as it will likely protect longer, but lose some of its zest. (Quikshine, Fk 425, Spray/Gloss, UPP Gloss Enhancer)

BILL
06-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Thank You Mr K;)

joe.p
06-10-2006, 10:18 AM
:applause: I sure hope your on the Payroll . All your replys are extremely helpful. ;) Thanks for always helping out.

I think sometimes we make things alot more complicated than need be, and its not who did the most steps, its actually who got the best finish, the best protection, with the littlest work in my book.

waxes -- wash, clay, polish (or paint cleaner),glaze (optional), protect
sealants --- wash, clay, polish, rewash (or wipe down), protect

Now within these parameters we also need to do what will work best given "our" tools. If you dont have a buffer, then abrasives our out. So we move to a paint cleaner. Also, if finish is in great shape we may only want to paint clean or use a light finishing polish. And if we decide to use a true abrasive polish (or SSR) then we likely can skip paint cleaning altogether.

Glazes are optional and best left to cars needing to hide some swirls. Sure it provides more wetness, but some waxes (like Souveran Paste) really look no better with them.

Sealants need a pristine or clean finish to bond to and cure properly. As such, you need to make sure prior to the "protect" stage that you rewash or wipe down (alcohol/water) in order to make the bonding work properly, especially if using a paint cleaner and or abrasive polishes (AIO - does not need this rewash/wipe down as acrylic protection with cleaners). Otherwise you are likely reducing the durability, and truthfully might as well used a carnuaba as you will likely reapply within a shorter period of time.

Now finally, in order to keep a finish looking great between waxing/sealing, we need to wash, dry, and consider additional protection as available.

Wash, Dry, QD+ (+ = product meant to add protection or gloss)

Crystal Mist is an example for any carnuaba, easy to use with a quick wipe and will add a boost. Likewise with a sealant , you might wanna add "gloss" to it as it will likely protect longer, but lose some of its zest. (Quikshine, Fk 425, Spray/Gloss, UPP Gloss Enhancer)

scooterguitar
06-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Yep, very helpful!
Joe, I found your old thread, it helped as well!