PDA

View Full Version : Nanoskin bonnets and the pros

peter hurcos
04-12-2014, 09:06 PM
OK you pro or semi pro detailers: Do you use a Nanoskin bonnet on your dual action polisher even on a black car, or do you do stick to clay?

I have a car I have taken pretty good care of since new, a little over two years ago. I even have an expensive DA polisher. I admit that as little as I do, its more a matter of "getting my money's worth" out of the DA than any real necessity. I keep reading positive things about the Nanoskin, and I bought a low dollar sponge as a kind of test which worked, although it wasn't particularly fast. The thing that holds me back are the "yeah buts" as in:

"Works great! but I use the pad as a sponge rather than putting it on the DA"

"Works great! but whatever you do don't buy the medium grade--stick to the fine grade."

"Works great! but it kind of messed up the paint on a black car. Good thing I was going to correct the paint anyway."

"Works great! but whatever you do use the Nanoskin brand Glide, or there's big trouble."

I figure the people who really know are the pros: Do any of you just automatically go to the Nanoskin bonnet, either fine or medium grade when you get to the clay bar stage? Do you use it for some cars and not others? When?

asalesagent912
04-12-2014, 10:15 PM
First off just want to say im no pro.
I used nano skin on my silver 4 runner and then waxed it. Came out great.
Now i used it on my black lexus IS 250. i think it did leave marks on it but i was gonna buff it anyway. they came out fairly easy and car looks great but am worried if i do someone elses car and its black and they dont want a polish i have to hope that the wax would cover it up.

artofdetailing
04-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Clay is safer IMO. That said, I still use the nano skin system because when I have polishing jobs it saves me time and time is money. Usually, when its time to clay its also time to polish. If your car is already looking great you can use the nano skin and follow with a fine polish to remove any marring.

peter hurcos
04-13-2014, 03:40 PM
OK then. Its probably not worth it to me as I want to avoid even minor polishes if I can.

Chicago Tommy
04-13-2014, 11:25 PM
OK then. Its probably not worth it to me as I want to avoid even minor polishes if I can.

Why are you polish adverse? Any clay will still instill some micromarring and swirling. Clay/Nanoskin isn't going near a vehicle I'm not polishing.

That said, Nanoskin leaves visible marring on black vehicles. I would bet it's present on all colors. Even the most milktoast polish will remove it.

Photecs
04-14-2014, 08:35 PM
For what it's worth... I'm also no pro... But I did just used the nanoskin prep sponge (fine) on my black metallic paint this past weekend, followed up with Meg's D151. Turned out amazing.... Even just after the nanoskin alone, the paint looked better, and felt like it was just waxed! Sooo smooth.

peter hurcos
04-15-2014, 12:05 AM
Why are you polish adverse? Any clay will still instill some micromarring and swirling. Clay/Nanoskin isn't going near a vehicle I'm not polishing.

That said, Nanoskin leaves visible marring on black vehicles. I would bet it's present on all colors. Even the most milktoast polish will remove it.

I've pretty carefully maintained the car since new. Actual benefit from claying is kind of marginal to begin with. Why run extra risk of messing it up if I don't have to? I have the little sponge which worked OK. No better or worse than clay. I'll just stick with that.

rolop6
04-15-2014, 12:57 AM
I know exactly what markings your talking about.
1. Your not using a good lube.
Nano skin needs really slick lube to slide over or it will grab.
2. This isn't regular clay, your rubbing too hard.
I've noticed with nanoskin you don't have to put nearly as much pressure as regular clay. When you do and don't use good lube it will grab and leave marks on your paint. Ease off and use better lube.

Nanoskin is great and I will never use regular clay again. It does have a learning curve, but I've used it on black cars with no markings other that one panel the first time I used the bar. I adjusted found out what I was doing wrong and adjusted with no problems thereafter.
So if you want to use regular clay that's fine and dandy, but I'll never go back to it again.

EVOlved
04-15-2014, 01:51 AM
I'll second rolop I have done multiple cars and yea if scrub with it you will get marks you just need to glide it across and I have been using ONR as lube without any issues. I am using the mitt though I love it you feel when there is contamination so you know when to keep working that area.

Romach
04-15-2014, 03:53 AM
I agree with rolop too as I used to use mothers and since I bought nanoskin pads and starter kit I am converted to nanoskin!

Well until the next invention! lol

parttimer
04-15-2014, 07:41 AM
I have both the towel and polisher pad. I have never had issues with the towel however on dark cars with my Flex using Detailers rinseless wash and gloss I end up with marring, even if the paint is sopping wet with lube. With the towel, no issues at all. I would guess the towel takes another 25-50% longer than the polisher pad but both are 80% faster than clay! I'm not worried about the marring as I am going to polish after. Here is a Jeep I did over the weekend, now some of this mess is swirls and automatic car wash scratches:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n176/parttimer_2006/Jeep%20GC/CAM00701.jpg (http://s112.photobucket.com/user/parttimer_2006/media/Jeep%20GC/CAM00701.jpg.html)

Both are great tools to have.

cardaddy
04-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Can't imagine EVER going back to only clay, EVER.

Nanoskin is by far the greatest thing since the end user getting ahold of buffers. Fine grade, break it in good on your glass, (do ALL the glass with it, maybe all your vehicles glass with it FIRST).

I don't have the Nanoskin towel, but do have the smaller hand held units, really like the rounded and square edges as you can get into corners really well. But the buffer pad.... OMG does it work, saves time, and does a fantastic job.

I'm not sure that the Nanoskin glide is anything bad, (have only used a couple bottles of it). I'll use ONR most of the time. But if you really want a good slick lube, spray, splash (or leave) soapy water on your paint (as in after you wash). Just put some CLEAN soapy water on, (or spray some from your foam gun/cannon) and use that.

I've bought new clay a total of once in over a year, and still haven't used it. (But I still have some old clay that's in decent shape, because of course I *NEVER* use it.) :D