PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on getting an air compressor set up

Pages : [1] 2

Gsrjake
04-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Im looking to get a decent compressor mainly to blow out my pads and use a small orbital 1" or 2" on small to get areas for corrections.. I don't know too much about them and don't have time to research so that's why im asking here.. lol probably don't want to spend over $400 for a compressor itself and ive been looking at the rupes 2" oribital? Any input and help would be appreciated it thanks!

Gokite
04-12-2014, 07:30 PM
If you're buying an air compressor to just blow out pads, why not save the $400 and just buy some more pads...?

SirFerret
04-12-2014, 07:35 PM
Try your local Harbor Freight. I have had good experiences with their compressors. You can get an 8 gallon one for around $120, which is more than enough for a little polisher. Also great for painting (with inline filters) and using mechanic's tools.

Is it the best of the best, no, of course not. For 95% of people, its a really great value and product.

Eric
04-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Grab the 21 gallon compressor for $149 with coupon. I have one and it's a great compressor for the price.

SirFerret
04-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Grab the 21 gallon compressor for $149 with coupon. I have one and it's a great compressor for the price.

Yes I forgot about that one. With coupon it's a steal. Probably going to be my next upgrade as my 8gal can't keep up with my larger mechanics tools sometimes.

Gsrjake
04-12-2014, 11:30 PM
If you're buying an air compressor to just blow out pads, why not save the $400 and just buy some more pads...?
I have more then $400 worth of pads, why not keep them longer from maintaining them?

Try your local Harbor Freight. I have had good experiences with their compressors. You can get an 8 gallon one for around $120, which is more than enough for a little polisher. Also great for painting (with inline filters) and using mechanic's tools.

Is it the best of the best, no, of course not. For 95% of people, its a really great value and product.
I was thinking of getting one there but didn't know how reliable or well they would be, rhanks

Is that at harbor freight as well?

Yes I forgot about that one. With coupon it's a steal. Probably going to be my next upgrade as my 8gal can't keep up with my larger mechanics tools sometimes.

What mechanic tools can it not hold up with?

SirFerret
04-13-2014, 05:57 AM
I have more then $400 worth of pads, why not keep them longer from maintaining them?

I was thinking of getting one there but didn't know how reliable or well they would be, rhanks

Is that at harbor freight as well?

What mechanic tools can it not hold up with?

Yes that 21 gallon compressor is from HF. The only issue I have with my 8 gallon is that it cannot run my larger impact gun for sustained period of time. It's fine zipping tires and most bolts off with no issue, but starts to struggle with longer use on a stubborn bolt. It's nothing wrong with the machine, it is just the limit of its 8 gallon capacity.

Gokite
04-13-2014, 06:57 AM
I somehow missed the 1in air tool statement...

You can get a small pancake unit and a separate tank. The separate tank can be connected with a standard compressor hose and a few fittings for $5 including a valve. The valve can also be used to disconnect a full separate tank for later use (provided it doesn't leak too much air).

I have a 26 gal and a 26 gal spare tank. It's a great setup. If I need to run three nailguns I can do it from one a/c. Or drive the spare 26 gal tank an hour to the beach and fill up a couple water rafts and three kiteboarding kites without the need for power. Your pancake would run a while to fill the tanks but once it is full you'd have all that storage.

Lakeside Detail
04-13-2014, 06:58 AM
Do your self a favor and get a 15 gallon dewalt. I just bought one and it is way more powerful than I expected. Check CFM rating @ 90 psi. Dewalt is probably best in class even better than the cheap 21 gallon from HF.

Eric
04-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Do your self a favor and get a 15 gallon dewalt. I just bought one and it is way more powerful than I expected. Check CFM rating @ 90 psi. Dewalt is probably best in class even better than the cheap 21 gallon from HF.

This one?

DEWALT 15-Gal. Portable Electric Air Compressor-D55168 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Gal-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-D55168/100497924#specifications)

It's more than double the price with only slightly higher CFM ratings.

statusdetailing
04-13-2014, 09:00 PM
If $400 is your budget, just wait a few weeks or longer and save up more. You may find a used one in that range that will fit your needs, if you're lucky. If I remember correctly, you just moved into a shop. DO NOT buy a harbor freight compressor for professional use. It won't last and they are extremely loud. Ask me how I know. Anything smaller than 60 gallon will be constantly running for interior air purging, even blowing out pads will be annoying imo. Running air tools won't be an option. You need consistent pressure and and a high cfm. . . I would think at least 11 cfm at 90psi. Find something belt driven and with a twin cylinder pump. A good compressor can be serviced and rebuilt. Belts can be replaced, pumps rebuilt and motors easily replaced.

I'm running a porter cable 60 gallon. I couldn't be without it as a professional. From the looks of your shop, you'll be doing more volume than me.

Gsrjake
04-13-2014, 11:07 PM
If $400 is your budget, just wait a few weeks or longer and save up more. You may find a used one in that range that will fit your needs, if you're lucky. If I remember correctly, you just moved into a shop. DO NOT buy a harbor freight compressor for professional use. It won't last and they are extremely loud. Ask me how I know. Anything smaller than 60 gallon will be constantly running for interior air purging, even blowing out pads will be annoying imo. Running air tools won't be an option. You need consistent pressure and and a high cfm. . . I would think at least 11 cfm at 90psi. Find something belt driven and with a twin cylinder pump. A good compressor can be serviced and rebuilt. Belts can be replaced, pumps rebuilt and motors easily replaced.

I'm running a porter cable 60 gallon. I couldn't be without it as a professional. From the looks of your shop, you'll be doing more volume than me.
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it

Eric
04-14-2014, 01:12 AM

The HF compressor I recommended will run their 2" orbital polisher and is certainly more than adequate for blowing out pads. It's also very durable if properly maintained.

statusdetailing
04-14-2014, 08:25 AM
I have that exact 21 gallon HF air compressor. I used it starting out a few years ago. It was a pita to say the least, but it got me going. . .I guess. It's a good starter compressor at best. If the op was just getting started I would so go for it. This thing is going to take some serious use, it may do the job, but it will be running at full capacity 24/7. I wouldn't buy it simply due to the fact that it is as loud as a jet engine.

statusdetailing
04-14-2014, 08:27 AM
I'm seriously not trying to be a snob or even knock harbor freight. Just trying to save the OP trouble in the long run.