PDA

View Full Version : What order would you do it in??

EVOlved
04-11-2014, 02:34 PM
So I am going to be doing my car this week and my normal routine would be clean up the wheels, wells, and tires. Then move onto the wash, ironX, clay, then polish etc. But this time I am going to be using PBL wheel and glass coatings. I am wondering how this should fit in, I am going to want to thoroughly clean the wells while I am taking the wheels off to coat. So the question is like the thread title says what order would you do it in??

TIA for your help.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
04-11-2014, 03:07 PM
If you clean the wells and wheels good, then coat the wheels, how long does the coating need to cure? In essence, can you then move on to routine for paint.

Or, do you have jackstands to leave car on while working on paint and wheels cure?

Tato
04-11-2014, 03:47 PM
Oh mate, looks wonderful process, but really trick question ahahah...

Based on my experience, 12 hours asked for PBL coating are too much. Although I always respect even more than 12 hours without moisture, for sure I do my tests and I can state that in a hot sunny day it'll cure much faster.

However, I don't think this 'faster' will be fast enough for you to work the wheels first, put the wheels back and then wash entire car. Even if you leave it curing for 1, 2 hours, I can't say it'll be enough. The less I would say would be at least 5-6 hours, but that's already much time.

Based on that, I would do the following:

- Wash wheels and wells, first, the way we generally do (with them in place),

- Wash the car,

- Iron out, clay, etc,

- Now you remove the wheels and re-wash them (will be much easier as well since you already washed them prior), prep and coat, clean the wells again, dry and put wheel back. Follow to next wheel and well, and so on.

**This is not my definitive answer, please, let's discuss a bit more to get towards the best approach.

That said, feel free to criticize my answer above, I'll need to do the same you will do so the best we achieve here, better for both of us!

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards.

EVOlved
04-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Maybe I'll do it in 2 days do my regular routine the first day like you said clean the wheels, clean the paint, iron x, clay, polish, then the next day pop the wheels off one at a time clean them up and coat them then do the wells then put the wheels back on, and then eraser wipe down and apply my wax or sealant, then apply tire and rubber dressings. IDK I'm thrown for a loop here. I was going to do the wheels first but then thought about the cure time and the fact that I'll be cleaning the car.

Or just totally finish the paint the first day and clean up the wheels and wells the next day. Although I'm sure there would be some overspray onto the fresh sealant/wax on the paint.

EVOlved
04-11-2014, 04:24 PM
If you clean the wells and wheels good, then coat the wheels, how long does the coating need to cure? In essence, can you then move on to routine for paint.

Or, do you have jackstands to leave car on while working on paint and wheels cure?

That's a good question because it doesn't state anywhere on AG the cure time for the wheel coating. I'm assuming it's something like the paint coating.

swanicyouth
04-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Do you have a jack and 4 jack stands? That's how I did it. I'd park the car, put it up on 4 jack stands, pull the wheels, and then wash it.

Let it just sit that way overnight while wheels are curing.

HD.Detailing
04-11-2014, 06:49 PM
jack stands, wheels off.. clean wheels/tires and wheel wells.. then move to the paint while the wheels are curing.. good to go.

Tato
04-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Can someone post a picture (or link, or at least explain) what a GOOD jack stand means..., and elaborate process a little.

What about that 're-adjust screws torque' issue after removing wheels, I don't have anything here that guarantee me a precise torque to put on them.

Thanks in advance.

HD.Detailing
04-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Can someone post a picture (or link, or at least explain) what a GOOD jack stand means..., and elaborate process a little.

What about that 're-adjust screws torque' issue after removing wheels, I don't have anything here that guarantee me a precise torque to put on them.

Thanks in advance.

here in the states we go to Harbor Freight, sears, or anywhere else that sells car parts and buy jack stAnds. We get a torque wrench to make sure they are tight. I grew up using the 3 grunt method of tightening and even the occasional use the foot method.haha

04-11-2014, 07:50 PM
That's a good question because it doesn't state anywhere on AG the cure time for the wheel coating. I'm assuming it's something like the paint coating.

Directions for PBL wheel coating says to apply a second coat 24 hours after first coat to ensure even coverage.

As mentioned already, if you can put the car on jack stands, just coat everything all at once when paint correction is done...

EVOlved
04-11-2014, 09:08 PM
I have no jack stands and where I am doing it is a slanted driveway I don't want my new car going bang!! I have a torque wrench, jack etc.. But I don't feel stable leaving my car there with no wheels on it especially since it's not my house. Now I feel like I just wasted money on the coating!! That's my fault I guess. Couldn't I coat them then bolt them back up give them a quick clean and then coat them again?? Without driving the car of course. The garage there is not big enough to even jack up the car in. I usually do all the work outside and store overnight for cure times in the garage. I need to move!!

HD.Detailing
04-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Coat everything at the same time then

Sent from my Alien Ship

EVOlved
04-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Coat everything at the same time then

Sent from my Alien Ship

What about the second coat?

EVOlved
04-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Ok now I'm thinking I do the first coat the day before I do everything else. Pop the wheels one at a time then clean, polish, and coat. Then clean the corresponding well. Maybe I'll go up to the clay step the first day as well so I can come back the next day and do a RW on the car polish, seal, then pop the wheels hit them with my Menzerna TI and recoat them??

What do you guys think of that??
O well either way tomorrow is my first car of my vacation the MIL's 2014 Murano in black (also my first black car).

HD.Detailing
04-12-2014, 07:24 AM
Why would you need two coats? AG site doesn't say two coats.

Sent from my Alien ship