PDA

View Full Version : First time detailler.....

SAITCHO
04-10-2014, 10:15 PM
I only wanted to buy a new jar of turtle wax but I got sucked into the world of car detailing head first.... im now very excited

The victim will be my beloved Volkswagen tiguan 2009 cherry red. Beside regular cleaning the only detailing I usually do is good old turtle wax twice a year and clay bar every spring. I have some moderate swirl mark I want to get rid off. I have been educating myself for the past week about swirl removal, dual action polisher, paint sealant VS waxes, paint cleaner, various pads out there.... there is so much stuff involved its crazy. Here is my battle plan I hope I have done my homework properly:

1-Clean car with proper soap
2-Dry car
3-Clay car with proper lube
4-Wolfgang swirl remover using the porter cable DP with a White CCS pad. If its not cutting enough move to the orange pad.Buff with microfiber bonnet over original porter cable white pad.
5-Wolfgang finishing glaze with a gray ccs pad.Buff with microfiber bonnet over original porter cable white pad.
6-Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer with a gray pad..Buff with microfiber bonnet over original porter cable white pad.
7-Wolfgang paint sealant with a blue pad. I plan on using 2 coats.

For the next details job I plan to skip the swirl remover.

Here are the supplies I plan to buy for the job:

-the 4 wolfgang product listed above plus a QD
- 1 orange pad,2gray pad,2blue pad
-4 microfiber bonnets
-4 buffing towels
-Porter cable with the backing plate
-Alcoholic beverage

So how does it look? Any suggestion for different products? Did I miss something?

Thanks for your suggestions and happy detailing people!

wdmaccord
04-11-2014, 12:23 AM
I only wanted to buy a new jar of turtle wax but I got sucked into the world of car detailing head first.... im now very excited

The victim will be my beloved Volkswagen tiguan 2009 cherry red. Beside regular cleaning the only detailing I usually do is good old turtle wax twice a year and clay bar every spring. I have some moderate swirl mark I want to get rid off. I have been educating myself for the past week about swirl removal, dual action polisher, paint sealant VS waxes, paint cleaner, various pads out there.... there is so much stuff involved its crazy. Here is my battle plan I hope I have done my homework properly:

1-Clean car with proper soap
2-Dry car
3-Clay car with proper lube
4-Wolfgang swirl remover using the porter cable DP with a White CCS pad. If its not cutting enough move to the orange pad.Buff with microfiber bonnet over original porter cable white pad.
5-Wolfgang finishing glaze with a gray ccs pad.Buff with microfiber bonnet over original porter cable white pad.
6-Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer with a gray pad..Buff with microfiber bonnet over original porter cable white pad.
7-Wolfgang paint sealant with a blue pad. I plan on using 2 coats.

For the next details job I plan to skip the swirl remover.

Here are the supplies I plan to buy for the job:

-the 4 wolfgang product listed above plus a QD
- 1 orange pad,2gray pad,2blue pad
-4 microfiber bonnets
-4 buffing towels
-Porter cable with the backing plate
-Alcoholic beverage

So how does it look? Any suggestion for different products? Did I miss something?

Thanks for your suggestions and happy detailing people!

2> skip (I like to clay the whole car then re-wash, then dry, but if you are going to wipe up each spot as you clay, you probably don't need to re-wash...personal preference). Either way, you don't need to dry before you clay.

4-6> skip the MF bonnet and invest in some good MF towels. 530 gsm or so. Get at least 10-20 of them.

6> this might be overkill. Do either 5 or 6...not both.

Did you mean 2 "white" pads? You have "gray" on your list. Blue pads will last forever since you will not be abrading with them and will use a low speed. Get the 6 pack of pads and get 2 orange, 3 white, and one blue...or 2 orange, 2 white, one blue, and one red. I think WG products might be DAT, so the flat pads might work better.

Alcoholic beverage...+12 :xyxthumbs:

My 2 cents.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-11-2014, 01:57 AM
Hi welcome to AGO!

List looks good. I would leave out step number 6 as this would only be needed to freshen up the paint after DD duties. Since you are using FG on a gray finishing pad you can go straight to Wolfgang Paint sealant.

lawrenceSA
04-11-2014, 03:11 AM
Welcome to AG

Having detailed quite a few VW's, I would suspect the paint will be on the harder side and you will more than likely have more success at defect removal (if this is what you are after) with an orange pad than a white.

Also with the polish being DAT based, flat pads should work better than say CCS pads.

I really enjoy using the cyan, tangerine and crimson pads hydrotechs paired with something like the Wolfgang or Menzerna polishes.

The key though is to ensure you conduct a test spot (starting with your least aggressive combo) to dial in the correct combo of pads/products before proceeding over the whole car.

Good luck and be sure to post up some pics showcasing the results.:xyxthumbs:

Bunky
04-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Welcome to club of the desire for external shine and beading!

You are correcting the paint with the polish you can skip the Paint Enhancer since it is just a paint cleaner with mild filling properties. If you do want that continuous shine, get the Wolfgang Spritz Sealant to maintain the look and use it every few weeks after a wash.

custmsprty
04-11-2014, 06:05 PM
This would be a great kit to start off:

Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424xp Ultimate Polishing Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-porter-cable-kit.html)