PDA

View Full Version : homemade dr colorchip?

wildwilly1
04-10-2014, 09:00 AM
I have a black car with some road rash on the front . I was thinking of getting somr black touchup thinning it some and then rubbing it into the road rash spots then getting some lacquar thinner on a micro fiber cloth to rub excess off . this is basically what dr colorchip kit does would this work or not thx

hogie
04-10-2014, 09:48 AM
I had some single stage touch up paint made for my Z last year and tried to use the Dr. Color chips Sealact solution with it and they aren't even remotely compatible. I didn't think they would be, but had it already so gave it a go.

Paint thinner just pulled all of the touch up paint off of the surface with out leaving it in the chips.

Just buy the smaller Dr Color chips kit. It works far better than the crap you buy at Walmart.

DARK HORSE
04-10-2014, 10:25 AM
I had some single stage touch up paint made for my Z last year and tried to use the Dr. Color chips Sealact solution with it and they aren't even remotely compatible. I didn't think they would be, but had it already so gave it a go.

Paint thinner just pulled all of the touch up paint off of the surface with out leaving it in the chips.

Just buy the smaller Dr Color chips kit. It works far better than the crap you buy at Walmart.

:iagree:

wildwilly1
04-10-2014, 11:16 AM
yeah you are probably right just trying to save a buck

Larry A
04-10-2014, 07:56 PM
I did touch up some chips on my car. I had touch up paint that I got at a body shop. I dabbed it on , and then smirror it with my thump , and let it dry for about 10 minutes . Then I simply used a little Chlor.Brake Clean on a Viva paper towel, and lightly wiped . It came out perfect.

Hunter09
04-10-2014, 09:35 PM
I had a few chips on my mustang. Left front fender. Got touch up paint at walmart. Put the paint on the fender let it dry. Then wet sanded it down. After that I buffed it out with m105 on a org LC pad. U can't tell it was touched . Took 2 days to do it all