PDA

View Full Version : Car products on boats

Hjfowler
04-10-2014, 08:12 AM
A few questions:

1. Can you use car products in boats? (XMT 360 specifically)

2. Is the gel coat the whole thickness of the smooth covering over the rest of the fiberglass? (About 1-2 mm thick)

3? Can I use the same polishing and compounding pads on gel coat that I use on clear coat? (Orange LC pads)

Thanks in advance. The boat I'm going to be working on isn't too bad, but there is some oxidation. I was thinking about starting with an actual compound, then a polish. Perhaps XMT.

I posted this on the boats and rv forum a while ago. Didn't get a response. Pardon me for posting it here, but hopefully someone can answer this for me :)

Hoytman
04-10-2014, 09:01 AM
A few questions:

1. Can you use car products in boats? (XMT 360 specifically)
To answer your question...
Car products can be used. Anything you want can be used, but what you use may not work given the condition of th boat. Typically, a decision to use car products on a boat will be dictated by boat condition and the test spot. As condition worsens it's probably best to seek out Marine products, specifically.

2. Is the gel coat the whole thickness of the smooth covering over the rest of the fiberglass? (About 1-2 mm thick)
To get the specifics on the thickness of that particular gel-coat would be something you should really consider by calling the boat manufacturer. Thicknesses can be all over the map even on one boat, and from manufacturer to manufacturer.

3? Can I use the same polishing and compounding pads on gel coat that I use on clear coat? (Orange LC pads)
Yes. However, and once again, pad choice will and should be dictated by the condition of the boat and a test spot. As conditions worsen pad choices generally are left to wool cutting/wool polishing pads.

Thanks in advance. The boat I'm going to be working on isn't too bad, but there is some oxidation. I was thinking about starting with an actual compound, then a polish. Perhaps XMT.
A test spot will/should dictate your final selection of liquids/pads...products. It's hard to say really, without seeing a good quality photo of the boat, what you should start with. Again, the test spot will tell you what will work and what will not. However, I highly doubt that xmt360 will remove any scratching, but it may remove very minor oxidation.

I posted this on the boats and rv forum a while ago. Didn't get a response. Pardon me for posting it here, but hopefully someone can answer this for me :)

No problem with posting your question here.

If the boat is in over-all great condition with very minor oxidation, then you might want to try something similar to Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax, best boat cleaner wax, gel coat cleaner wax (http://www.autogeek.net/best-boat-cleaner-wax.html) . It sounds like that may do the job.

However, if you're thinking you may need a compound (that will work to a fine polish) then I highly recommend Meguiars M67 One Step Marine Compound (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-one-step-marine-compound.html) or a Marine 31 equivalent, if they offer an equivalent. Again, your test spot will dictate what liquid performs best with what pad. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html

You'll likely get more good suggestions from other members.

Hjfowler
04-10-2014, 09:04 AM
To answer your question...
Car products can be used. Anything you want can be used, but what you use may not work given the condition of th boat. Typically, a decision to use car products on a boat will be dictated by boat condition and the test spot. As condition worsens it's probably best to seek out Marine products, specifically.

To get the specifics on the thickness of that particular gel-coat would be something you should really consider by calling the boat manufacturer. Thicknesses can be all over the map even on one boat, and from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Yes. However, and once again, pad choice will and should be dictated by the condition of the boat and a test spot. As conditions worsen pad choices generally are left to wool cutting/wool polishing pads.

A test spot will/should dictate your final selection of liquids/pads...products. It's hard to say really, without seeing a good quality photo of the boat, what you should start with. Again, the test spot will tell you what will work and what will not. However, I highly doubt that xmt360 will remove any scratching, but it may remove very minor oxidation.

No problem with posting your question here.

If the boat is in over-all great condition with very minor oxidation, then you might want to try something similar to Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax, best boat cleaner wax, gel coat cleaner wax (http://www.autogeek.net/best-boat-cleaner-wax.html) .

You'll likely get more good suggestions from other members.

This is awesome. Thanks for your answers.

Hoytman
04-10-2014, 09:08 AM
I actually edited my post with more information for you.

Perhaps Mike will chime in with even more detailed information for you.

Hoytman
04-10-2014, 10:04 AM
In answer to your question #3 I said,

"Yes. However, and once again, pad choice will and should be dictated by the condition of the boat and a test spot. As conditions worsen pad choices generally are left to wool cutting/wool polishing pads."

In addition to that answer I'll add...

If you only have a certain number of pads, and you clean them real good, then you should have no problem using the same pads on paint that you use on gel-coat.

However, since I have plenty of pads, I tend keep my pads dedicated. That is, I have pads that only get used for paint, and I have dedicated pads for use on gel-coat. It's just another precaution...since I have plenty of pads.

Hjfowler
04-10-2014, 12:20 PM
In answer to your question #3 I said,

"Yes. However, and once again, pad choice will and should be dictated by the condition of the boat and a test spot. As conditions worsen pad choices generally are left to wool cutting/wool polishing pads."

In addition to that answer I'll add...

If you only have a certain number of pads, and you clean them real good, then you should have no problem using the same pads on paint that you use on gel-coat.

However, since I have plenty of pads, I tend keep my pads dedicated. That is, I have pads that only get used for paint, and I have dedicated pads for use on gel-coat. It's just another precaution...since I have plenty of pads.

It's a 40' cabin cruiser. Something tells me I'll need a bunch of pads. However, I do have pad cleaner. I'll be working on it over a few days so letting the pads dry shouldn't be an issue.

I should mention I have marine compound and polish. I'm assuming they are ok to use with the pads I have. I have a rotary, but I enjoy the DA more even though it takes more time. I also produce better results with the DA

allenk4
04-10-2014, 02:24 PM
40'......Rotary + wool all the way.

It will take a week with a DA.

If you are unhappy with the finish after that compound, you can always go back over it with the DA to refine the finish.

Hjfowler
04-10-2014, 03:19 PM
How long does the wool pad last before it needs to be cleaned/replaced?

brondondolon
04-10-2014, 03:27 PM
You can use car products but you would be better off with a marine grade product. Reason being is when a boat is dull it's very oxidized typically. Marine products are very aggressive to help speed up the correction time. Using a car product will just take forever.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online