PDA

View Full Version : Leather conditioner suggestions for 20 year old seats in excellent condition

puma1824
04-10-2014, 07:05 AM
I just recently purchased a 1995 BMW M3 with Black Vader seats. The seats are in excellent condition (see pics), seems as it may be a little dry, regardless I'd like to maintain the condition and look. Basically I dislike anything shinny and prefer off the showroom finish. I've read all sorts of post many times it turns to Leatherique or Pinnacle Black. At the same time I read contradictory posts for both products. Anyone have recommendations for this particular types or seats? If you have pics would be great :)

Thanks in advance.

Pics of current condition:

jamesboyy
04-10-2014, 09:32 AM
It was me I would use leather master on those seats and when I apply the leather conditiner I would not wipe it right back off I'll let it soak into the leather for ten minutes before buffing off just to ensure the leather is fed

puma1824
04-10-2014, 09:46 AM
It was me I would use leather master on those seats and when I apply the leather conditiner I would not wipe it right back off I'll let it soak into the leather for ten minutes before buffing off just to ensure the leather is fed

Would Leather Master keep it a matte / factory finish?

Thanks.

helder87
04-10-2014, 09:52 AM
+1 for leather masters. great product

puma1824
04-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Which Leather Master product(s) should I be ordering?

MrOneEyedBoh
04-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Problem here is that I'm 99% sure this is coated leather... That means that there is a plastic coating over the leather to protect it.. Conditioners can't penetrate that

puma1824
04-10-2014, 10:29 AM

Problem here is that I'm 99% sure this is coated leather... That means that there is a plastic coating over the leather to protect it.. Conditioners can't penetrate that

In that case, what's the best way to proceed?

Thanks.

cire
04-10-2014, 11:17 AM
I have not used the PBL Leather care kit but have read great reviews on it. I however have used and really enjoy the Leatherique system!
I picked part of this write-up from Greg Nichols: "Leatherique Prestine clean is a great product for cleaning the Urethane coating on these type of leathers. About 90% of all automotive leathers are Urethane coated, some times called top coated leather. If you are unsure a simple scratch test will help. Take your finger nail and gently, notice I said gently scrape the hide. If the hide changes color then it’s likely NOT top coated. Urethane coated leathers have a slight to very “plastic” feel to them. Prestine Clean will work fine on all leathers, coated or not. Spray the Leatherique Prestine Clean, you can also wipe on, but I get better coverage and seem to use less when I spray the product. Allow it to dwell. The amount of dwell time will depend upon temp and the amount of cleaning you need done."

I pulled the above information from another site from a write-up on removing blue jean transfer from leather and this was part of the process he uses. From Leatherique's Prestine Clean product information on same site:

Completely matte finish that has no greasy or oily residue
Apply to your leather and let sit for 15 - 30 minutes, wipe with a warm damp towel and wipe dry with a second towel (I would suggest MF)
For maximum results, Prestine Clean is best used after Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil - (non coated leather)

Also, after a thorough cleaning a couple of good products to use for light cleaning are Meguiar’s Quick Interior Detailer, and Einszett 1Z Cockpit Premium. You can even buy the Quick Int. Det from your local large grocery store! I use Megs for quick cleanups and to maintain the leather topcoat I use either 303 or Ultima since the conditioners in Prestine clean mostly do not penetrate.

jamesboyy
04-10-2014, 11:42 AM
That is true most leather these days are coated leather but If serve the purpose of leather clean and condition it like is that said I would use leather masters leather vitial and rapid cleaner

Klasse Act
04-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Griot's Garage rejuvinator, hands down!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

crrdvr6
04-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Griot's Garage rejuvinator, hands down!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

I tried Griot's Garage rejuvinator and was really impressed. Used it on my 21 year old leather seats with great results.

MrOneEyedBoh
04-10-2014, 02:33 PM
If your leather is coated, then you cant do much other than keep the outside cleaned and UV protected IMO

puma1824
04-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Based of these reviews I think Leather Masters might be my best bet. Not need to figure out which "conditioner"

Review 1
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/30019-review-leather-master-car-leather-protection-cleaner-kit.html

Review 2 / Comparison - Mentions Vital but not really tested.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/60235-coated-leather-care-leather-masters-vs-ltt-2.html

Thoughts on best way to proceed? Personally I don't like ANY shine. Showroom / off the assembly line look for me please :)

jamesboyy
04-10-2014, 05:39 PM
I would get the Leather Master Car Leather Protection&Cleaner Kit 150ML + Ink Away it's the best of everything and as I stated before let the conditioner soak into the leather into for at least 10 minutes then buff off if then if has a shine use a damp microfiber towel to tone down the gloss to factory standard

puma1824
04-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Purchased Leather Master Leather Protection & Cleaner Kit based of recommendations here and reviews I read. Hopefully it all works out :). Thanks for everyone's help!