PDA

View Full Version : Advice on chrome wheel care

Pages : [1] 2

Vortech5.0
04-09-2014, 10:51 PM
So I've got some 18" cobra R wheels on my mustang. Love these wheels but they are getting old (been on the car for about 11 yrs now) and I hate to admit it but I haven't always taken the best care of them. What are some ways I can make these look better and last longer? Products, technique, etc. Thanks all.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/truitt10/IMG_20140409_190947_819_zps99ff26cf.jpg

I've got some pitting or something going on in some of the corners. Anything I can do about this?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/truitt10/IMG_20140409_190929_874_zpsf1b3a86f.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/truitt10/IMG_20140409_191049_039_zpsbd6d1b8e.jpg

kochdalton87
04-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Join the club. I have the exact defects on my Cobra R's. subbed for answers. Although your barrels look much better than mine do. Mine need a decent amount of help, just to find the time to do it...

Eric@CherryOnTop
04-10-2014, 05:31 AM
Clean, tar-x, iron-x, clay, light polish and seal with a wheel coating like DP or PBL wheel coating. Probably can't do anything about the pitting without having them re-chromed. They might start to peel on you too :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips
04-10-2014, 06:14 AM
The most important thing to maintain chrome, especially on a daily driver that is driven in the rain is to keep the chrome surface clean and dry.

When dirt as in road film from the rain spatter thrown at you from the cars in front of you and from off the road as you drive builds up on chrome it locks in both the dirt and moisture and it is this locked on moisture that works over time to destroy the chrome finish on your wheels.

Become an expert at getting your specific design of wheel surgically clean and then apply a coat of a traditional Carnauba hard wax to the surface and really rub it in well to seal the surface.

When it comes to wheel designs, while it might be boring I always tell people to pick a wheel design that is EASY to clean. If it's easy you'll not only do it but you'll do it better.

As soon as you get a complicated, intricate designed wheel after the excitement of cool new wheels wears off your excitement to do a great job of cleaning them will wear off. But I digress....

Big picture, keep the chrome surface as clean as possible and keep the surface sealed with something. Even rubbing a good one-step cleaner/wax over the chrome will not only keep the chrome shiny and the surface clear/brilliant, it will act to protect the chrome from failing.

"Find something you like and learn to use it often"

:)

Mike Phillips
04-10-2014, 06:17 AM
This article explains road film with pictures....

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/72159-road-film-if-you-drive-your-car-rain-your-car-has-road-film.html)

:)

Vortech5.0
04-10-2014, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. I'm definitely gonna give some of this a try. Thanks for the article mike. I'm regretting not taking action years ago.

Christopher.Brown
04-10-2014, 09:34 AM
When it comes to wheel designs, while it might be boring I always tell people to pick a wheel design that is EASY to clean. If it's easy you'll not only do it but you'll do it better.

As soon as you get a complicated, intricate designed wheel after the excitement of cool new wheels wears off your excitement to do a great job of cleaning them will wear off.

YESSSSS!!!! +100000

/rant

this is also why i ALWAYS suggest AGAINST dark rims when people ask my opinion. Sure they look GREAT in boxes at the shop, but after weeks of weather and driving and no cleaning they are a nightmare. Plus, on German cars especially, that brake dust can make them look like garbage in a quick 4-6 mile round trip to the grocery store.... Not to mention they show scratches waaaayyy too easily...

/endrant

lol so get what you like. I just suggest considering and weighing all the options of maintenance and such BEFOREHAND. Because, down the line the maintenance factor and time involved may not weigh up to that sparkly wheel you saw in a catalog :dblthumb2:

just my $.02

04-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Pretty much a done deal once the chrome starts pitting. I currently have PBL wheel coating on my Roush wheels, definitely makes cleaning a breeze...

ScottB
04-10-2014, 05:18 PM
I have kept my uncoated wheels up for more than 5 years without issue.

1. Safe Wheel Cleaner (P21S)
2. Polish Lightly when needed
3. Sealed with Rejex, now Gtechnics Wheel Armor

Vortech5.0
04-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I will definitely look into a good cleaner and sealant for them. AG store here I come...

KillaCam
04-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Just wash them and occasionally polish and then seal. Chrome is a breeze to take care of. Can't do much about the pitting unfortunately.

Try taking care of billet aluminum wheels, that's another story.

HD.Detailing
04-12-2014, 10:09 PM
PVD Chrome them.. I have mine PVD Black Chromed and it's as easy as paint to care for, clear coated. Oh, and not expensive to have done either.

Vortech5.0
04-12-2014, 10:17 PM
PVD Chrome them.. I have mine PVD Black Chromed and it's as easy as paint to care for, clear coated. Oh, and not expensive to have done either.

I have never heard of this, what is it and whats the process like?

HD.Detailing
04-12-2014, 10:32 PM
I have never heard of this, what is it and whats the process like?

It's basically a powdercoat like process...had mine done at Detroit wheel and tire you can look at the process on there website. Only two places in the country that do it. Them an a company not sure of the name in California.

Sent from my Alien Ship

PaYnTwZRd
04-13-2014, 12:39 AM
So I've got some 18" cobra R wheels on my mustang. Love these wheels but they are getting old (been on the car for about 11 yrs now) and I hate to admit it but I haven't always taken the best care of them. What are some ways I can make these look better and last longer? Products, technique, etc. Thanks all.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/truitt10/IMG_20140409_190947_819_zps99ff26cf.jpg

I've got some pitting or something going on in some of the corners. Anything I can do about this?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/truitt10/IMG_20140409_190929_874_zpsf1b3a86f.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/truitt10/IMG_20140409_191049_039_zpsbd6d1b8e.jpg

I've also looked into minor pit correction myself and it boils down 2 things, rechrome or "hide them" pitted wheels are becoming quite the norm, especially with all the dealership yahoo's using strong acids.. pits that small I would do a few steps: clean thoroughly, I use a product called pro-blu. Then I'd use a double ought then super fine quadruple ought steel wool pad lubricated to the T with spray detailer.. then chrome polish, atleast it'll help hide, try taking some rubbing compound on some rims.. never tried it but I was told it'll help a little bit in certain spots

Sent from my EVO using AG Online