PDA

View Full Version : Help asap! Right in the middle of a paint coating and have questions!!!!

brondondolon
04-09-2014, 09:18 PM
so im applying my paint coating right now (CQUK) and i need a little help. After i apply the coating how long do i wait to wipe it off? I did my door and my hood so far but i feel like im not doing something right. When i wipe it off i have what looks like wet spots pop up? Ill go over that area again and it looks dry but then reappears. Also is wiping it off similar to wax to where you have to put a little effort into it? Should it look completely dry before removing it or still a little wet in areas? Also how many drops on avg should i be applying to the applicator on average and how long should i wait to add more? Also should results be pretty much instant? I ask because at this point the shine isnt any different from some collinite 845. Thanks guys!!!

woopigsooie
04-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Wish I could help, I'm about to be applying CQUK for the first time to my car in the next few weeks. Hopefully someone knows how to help you! Are you sure you're not putting it on too thick?

brondondolon
04-09-2014, 09:44 PM
I have no idea if im putting it on too thick lol. It seems to be thin. I have been putting about 4 drops each panel?

Just02896
04-09-2014, 09:47 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/78823-how-apply-cquk-2014-how-beads.html

brondondolon
04-09-2014, 09:50 PM
I just watched that it helped a little but i still feel uncertain. A big problem is the lighting im working with. Im using my garage lights which are florescent tube lights but i have 20 foot celings in my garage. Im in a catch 22 because i live in a very windy area on a mountain composed of decomposed granite so there is no way i could do this outside under the sun.

The Critic
04-09-2014, 09:51 PM
I usually use 2-3 drops to do a 12-18" square.

I work the product in 2-3x until it is slightly tacky. The residue will be a bit sticky to remove. I remove the residue when I am done with the entire panel -- which is usually within 1-2 min.

If it's cold, I've been told that you should wait 2-5 min.

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJi1VvZY5_g

EvolutionDetail
04-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Never used CQUK before.
However it sounds like it is applied and buffed off right away.

Wrap a mf Suede (included) around the applicator block (also included)
Shake CQuartz UK well and apply to the applicator
Spread across surface and buff in over entire section until it begins to disappear and flashes
Using a 16" Suede mf towel, wipe off residue to ensure flat streak-free finish
*Note: If applying in cold weather below 65-70F, allow to sit 2-5 minutes before wiping off
Move to next section and repeat
Apply Reload 1 hour or more from the start of CQUK application

brondondolon
04-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Well I just went to town on it. Finished everything but the bumpers tail gate and the roof. Couldnt do the bumpers and the tail gate because its in the garage and its really windy outside so i didnt have the room. I didnt do the roof because ive been working on this truck for 4 days and im wiped out from trying to finish it today (9 hours). So far i think i did it right. I guess the true test is tomorrow under the sun light.

Im in on this truck for a total of 28 hours. I still have to polish the chrome and dress the tires along with cleaning the windows. So id say with coating the rest of the truck and finishing the rest of the stuff ill be in on this truck for 31 hours or so. My back is telling me it hates me right now i need a masseuse preferably one where the endings are happy hahaha.

Ill be posting the whole job with all the pics in the show and shine section hopefully tomorrow night. The detail includes pretty much everything. Engine detail, interior deep clean, paint correction, paint coating, wheel wells and tires reconditioned. Cant wait for it to be done and see the final results. :)

Dellinger
04-09-2014, 11:07 PM
I have had the same 'trials' that you seem to be describing when applying CQ UK, but first...

What was your ambient temp and humidity?

What base color?

Did you use Eraser?

How big of sections were you applying the product to? (IE- two sections per door, 3 sections on hood etc...)

Did you keep wiping until it 'disappeared' or did you cross hatch and then wait for it to 'flash?'

How long were you waiting before wiping off the residual residue?

brondondolon
04-09-2014, 11:29 PM
I have had the same 'trials' that you seem to be describing when applying CQ UK, but first...

What was your ambient temp and humidity?

What base color?

Did you use Eraser?

How big of sections were you applying the product to? (IE- two sections per door, 3 sections on hood etc...)

Did you keep wiping until it 'disappeared' or did you cross hatch and then wait for it to 'flash?'

How long were you waiting before wiping off the residual residue?

Temp was about 70. Humidity is very low. I live in a very dry area to the point i wake up with nose bleeds every morning

base color is metallic black

hood was split up into 3 sections, front fender 1, doors 1-2, bed fenders 2

id apply the coating horizontal then vertical once area was covered. Once that was complete i would stand back and wait a min. Using the suede MF towel i would wipe in horizontal passes then flip the MF and buff off till i only saw shiny paint.

Dellinger
04-10-2014, 12:40 AM
Temp was about 70. Humidity is very low. I live in a very dry area to the point i wake up with nose bleeds every morning

base color is metallic black

hood was split up into 3 sections, front fender 1, doors 1-2, bed fenders 2

id apply the coating horizontal then vertical once area was covered. Once that was complete i would stand back and wait a min. Using the suede MF towel i would wipe in horizontal passes then flip the MF and buff off till i only saw shiny paint.

Sounds like your application should turn out fine. I found, after applying CQ UK a few different ways, that the method you mentioned was very similar to mine... which turned out 'good'.

I had to wipe the coating pretty firmly to eliminate 'the reappearing' you were mentioning.

Black can be somewhat challenging while coating... be sure to inspect in sunlight, which sound like you will.

brondondolon
04-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Eh I messed up in spots... I have what looks like tire dressing that was wiped off in spots on the paint. Not saying I got tire dressing on the paint. It's just this reappearing spots that must have came back after I wiped the area. All in all I'm happy with how it came out. However I feel as though I could have achieved the same shine with collinite and half the effort. I'll post pics in the show and shine later today. Here's one for now

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

brondondolon
04-10-2014, 01:40 PM

EVOlved
04-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Eh I messed up in spots... I have what looks like tire dressing that was wiped off in spots on the paint. Not saying I got tire dressing on the paint. It's just this reappearing spots that must have came back after I wiped the area. All in all I'm happy with how it came out. However I feel as though I could have achieved the same shine with collinite and half the effort. I'll post pics in the show and shine later today. Here's one for now

At least it should last more than twice as long as the collinite.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AG Online

brondondolon
04-10-2014, 03:14 PM
True. Thing is though I enjoy detailing my truck frequently. If there was a wax that lasted only a few days but produced an unrivalled shine I would own it lol. So the "unrealistic" shine is what I was hoping to get out of the coating. I mean yeah it looks great don't get me wrong. I'm just hard to please.