PDA

View Full Version : polishing fresh paint

Pages : [1] 2

k20z3kid
07-17-2007, 05:15 PM
is it a bad idea to polish new paint? i just got my bumper repainted today, and well there are swirlies all over it. im guessing buffer swirls from after the paint job? is it safe to polish it? or should i wait.

Thejoyofdriving
07-17-2007, 05:19 PM
you should wait about 60 days i think, cars out of the factory can be polished right away but after market paint jobs need a while to cure.

Truls
07-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Ive heard from 30-60 days, so you should def wait.

Buffer marks on a new paint job? Probably marks after they have wiped it after, i def wouldnt liked that if my car was repainted, and i got it back with swirls on it.

k20z3kid
07-17-2007, 09:49 PM
i thought the 60 day rule is for waxing and sealing? but yeah there are swirls. ill try and take a pic tomorrow to show.

Al-53
07-17-2007, 09:57 PM
you can polish fresh paint..just not seal it....most shops buff fresh paint.....why do you think most cars after a paint job come back with swirls and buffer trails..they buffed it....just use a fine polish....nothing course....it may be still sorta soft ......

AL

Thejoyofdriving
07-17-2007, 10:18 PM
you can polish fresh paint..just not seal it....most shops buff fresh paint.....why do you think most cars after a paint job come back with swirls and buffer trails..they buffed it....just use a fine polish....nothing course....it may be still sorta soft ......

AL

i think you are talking about OEM paint, for after market paint jobs you need to let the paint cure for a while, and yes you should not wax before the 60 days.

Z06-Goose
07-17-2007, 10:48 PM
I would think a product like 3M or Menzerna should be safe even on fresh paint, after all, that's what they use as after-prep to remove wetsanding marks and stuff like that. I agree that you shouldn't seal it...

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-17-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm under the impression that no waxing or sealing is what is prescribed so the paint can de-gas (teminology?). Wax in particular will not allow the paint to breath during the curinng process... Don't see how polishing would change that

Thejoyofdriving
07-17-2007, 11:09 PM
I would think a product like 3M or Menzerna should be safe even on fresh paint, after all, that's what they use as after-prep to remove wetsanding marks and stuff like that. I agree that you shouldn't seal it...

they use menzerna on fresh OEM paint, which cures much faster than after market paint.

P1et
07-17-2007, 11:28 PM
I would personally wait for a little while. I had the front of our Explorer repaint and I have waiting more than 90 days before polishing.

supercharged
07-18-2007, 01:27 AM
I'd wait at least 48-72 hours after painting was done, to make sure it's completely dry, then polish.

Wolf-Strong
07-18-2007, 02:08 AM
You can use Meguiar's M81 without any ill side effects. This is a cleaner polish made for body shops and provides a very light protection. Be warned though as once you wash it, it will wash off (remember, built for body shops).

I would way at least 30-60 days for the paint to dry though before you apply any wax or sealant.

budman3
07-18-2007, 06:32 AM
i think you are talking about OEM paint, for after market paint jobs you need to let the paint cure for a while, and yes you should not wax before the 60 days.

I don't think so. How did the buffer swirls get into his new paint job? I don't think they painted the paint like that... they had to polish the paint after they sprayed it to remove any sanding marks or other defects. So yes it is safe to use a body shop safe polish to clean up any mess they left behind. It is probably a good idea to get them out of the way now while the paint is still soft vs. a few weeks when it gets harder. You then could seal with a body shop safe was/sealant/glaze for a little protection.

budman3
07-18-2007, 06:34 AM

AL

Well I guess I missed this post before I posted... I think you said it much better than I did :applause:. The amount of knowledge Al-53 has is amazing. :cheers:

Al-53
07-18-2007, 07:15 AM
When a car comes out of the paint booth....and dries.....and they inspect it...and find a run....paint nibs.....or any defect..they wet sand it...now you do not come home with wet sand marks on your car do you...they buff it out....

the drying agents and catlyst they use in the paint cures it enough to be corrected and buffed after painting....so it can be polished if needed...

Now deep inside the paint there are still solvents that need to gas off in time..thats where the no wax or sealants come into play....it takes any where from 60-90 days from them to gas off....the old time painters use to smell a car and say ..yup it's done...

also some good shops have a cure light in the booth to help the paint cure faster....I believe it either infra red or ultra violet but the car is left in the booth 6-10 hours after painting and the paint is cured faster..not completely but enough.....

So YES you can polish out swirls after a re-paint....using your head and not going agressive.....

AL