PDA

View Full Version : Do You Wash A 2nd Time After Waxing?

rouxster
04-09-2014, 01:14 PM
I saw a post recently that said he washed the car after waxing/polishing it. Although it sounds like a great idea to help get any bit of leftover polish off, it is time consuming. I've always wanted to do that, but that would take extra time that I usually don't have.

I wanted to know if any of you wash a 2nd time after you wax or polish?

dfoxengr
04-09-2014, 01:19 PM
He probably meant after polishing, not waxing. Maybe to remove some dusting from polishing. I dont do it, but some others do.

Loser
04-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Waxing, no. Polishing, no, just a thorough IPA wipe down to ensure my sealant bonds well.

wdmaccord
04-09-2014, 01:32 PM
I would either do an IPA wipedown or RW after polishing. After waxing or sealing, I try to keep it dry for 12-24 hours, so NO to that one.

sluggoZ
04-09-2014, 01:40 PM
I would do a complete detail spray.

FUNX650
04-09-2014, 11:19 PM
I don't re-wash a vehicle after polishing or waxing.
That is:
Unless the manufacturers, of the products that's used
to polish and wax, highly recommends to do so.

Bob

rouxster
04-10-2014, 08:52 AM
I don't know why I didn't think of a QD spray after. No matter how well I inspect the paint after buffing polish off, sure enough, the next day I always have some residue left on the paint. Thanks!

Mike Phillips
04-10-2014, 08:56 AM
No.

After you apply your choice of LSP.... stop touching the paint....

Stand back and admire the results or go for a cruise and enjoy and show off your car...

:)

Mike Phillips
04-10-2014, 08:57 AM
He probably meant after polishing, not waxing.

Important difference. Which one? My first answer was for waxing.

:dunno:

rouxster
04-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Important difference. Which one? My first answer was for waxing.

:dunno:

I went back and looked at the post and he washed it after applying a sealant. Sorry, it wasn't a wax.

stilltipping3
04-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Yes, I always clean my panels off before my lsp

Mike Phillips
04-10-2014, 09:34 AM
I went back and looked at the post and he washed it after applying a sealant. Sorry, it wasn't a wax.

I still wouldn't wash it after any type of product that seals the surface.

Car Waxes
Synthetic Paint Sealants
Paint Coatings

All three of the above seal the paint. The goal is to put them on and leave them on. Washing micro-abrades, this might not affect a coating but the big picture idea is after you apply "something" to seal the paint quit touching it.

Let some time go by for any magic the protection ingredients are going to do to full set-up, cure, bond, stick, adhere, polymerize, crosslink etc. etc. etc., before you start "touching" it.

Some guys wash after compounding and polishing and I don't care how people choose to do their work but I never do. Takes too much time. Gets the car all wet again.

KISS = Keep it Simple Simon

Wash and dry - as an option chemically decontaminate with something like Iron X if needed.
Mechanically decontaminate if needed
Compound if needed.
Polish.
Jewell - Optional step.
Seal the paint.
Quit touching the car.

:)