PDA

View Full Version : Wet sanding paint transfer

Calendyr
04-09-2014, 12:44 PM
I received a strange call this morning.

Person wants me to wet sand paint off her vehicle and trailer.

From what I understand, they drove on fresh paint on the road and it splatered the Wheel wells, side of the vehicle and the trailer they were towing.

They had an estimate done to fix it by a body shop and were quoted 3500$. From that price what I think they will do is repaint the sections affected.

She asked me if I would wet sand it off instead.

Has any of you had to do this kind of work? If so how long does it usually take and any advice on doing that kind of work?

I think the hardest part would be the Wheel wells. From what she told me her's are plastic. So I don't know how effective wet sanding paint off plastic will be.

nebojsa
04-09-2014, 01:39 PM
I would try something less aggressive first. You could probably do it with a compound. M105 on orange or microfiber pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calendyr
04-09-2014, 11:10 PM
You think a compond could remove paint? Maybe on a rotary but on a DA I highly doubt it. No problem testing it, would use a yellow pad if I did though.

Tato
04-09-2014, 11:26 PM
Once I've removed some kind of 'super glue' from paint wet sanding the spots, then buffing the whole sanded parts with wool pad to remove sanding marks. Finished out with SF4000 and white pad to refine wool compounding.

Bellow there's the follow up thread, hope this gives you some ideas,

For the wheel wells, I need to see some pic to have an idea of what to suggest, but I advance that will need some kind of 'scrubbing' hehehe.

Let us know how everything went.

Kind Regards.

**Link to thread cited above:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/76224-vandalized-2006-black-corsa-popular-car-removing-super-glue.html