PDA

View Full Version : "SOLVENT POP" Anyone familiar with that ?

Largebore
07-17-2007, 03:03 PM
I had noticed some granular like specs in teh finish of my Jet Black BMW for a while and have been trying to identify them as well as learn how to make my finish look perfect.

I had heard a number of different viewpoints on what it was but none of them seemed just right.

Today I went to the BMW body shop and spoke with the foreman.
After some close inspection he was able to identify the little speck -like-things in my finish. They were not "road rash", "acid rain" or dust but what he called "SOLVENT POP " . The specks are really craters or depressions that was caused by the drying of the paint at one point.. Only way to fix it would be to wet sand the hood... Hmmm seems to me if it was a paint problem then maybe I have a warranty issue as well..

Totoland Mach
07-17-2007, 03:19 PM
I've gotten few cars that had those mini-specks and didn't know what caused them. In my humble opinion, I don't think wet sanding will produce the necessary results for a glass smooth finish. The black Bimmers I saw them on appeared too deep and I declined a wet sand operation.

I'll see if I have a picture or 2 of an example.

Toto

Al-53
07-17-2007, 03:27 PM
If its a fairly new car..and not repainted ..its a warranty issue...its a paint defect....the solvents gased when the paint was drying and created mini craters....little pin head holes....caused by poor prep....usally a wet sand will not fix it...a repaint will....

surprised the body man did not tell you to address it with the dealership as a defect

AL

BlackCoupe
07-17-2007, 03:34 PM
surprised the body man did not tell you to address it with the dealership as a defect

You mean if he was looking to get fired?

Al-53
07-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Well he already addressed it as solvent pop....so Large bore has the shop manager as a witness as to what the problem is...If they would fire him it would be for the diagnosis...plus the dealership gets paid by BMW for a warranty work...so no loss

AL

Largebore
07-17-2007, 03:46 PM
No, the guy was a straight up hard working guy and he was just answering my questions not into politics. I wil see the dealer on it later.

Totoland Mach
07-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Well he already addressed it as solvent pop....so Large bore has the shop manager as a witness as to what the problem is...If they would fire him it would be for the diagnosis...plus the dealership gets paid by BMW for a warranty work...so no loss

AL

OFF TOPIC...JUST A LITTLE

Hey Al-53: like that avatar....our beloved city decided it was easier to ban the bully breed than the dumb owners. I've still got one (a rescue) that's grandfathered in, but won't be able to get a replacement in that breed. So, I'm gonna go with a Boerboel and see what the city socialites think of that monster! :)

Mike T
07-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Do you have any pics?

ScottB
07-17-2007, 05:29 PM
interesting tidbit ... Solvent Pop !

Largebore
07-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Small bubbles, pinholes or crater-like openings in or on the paint film.

CAUSE

Liquid solvent (thinners/reducers) becomes "trapped" in the paint film when the surface layer skins over too quickly, preventing their evaporation into the atmosphere. Solvents that vaporize within the paint film leave bubbles, pinholes or craters as they push through and "pop" the surface. Solvents can be trapped due to:
Thinner/reducer evaporating too fast for spraying conditions;
Inadequate flash time between coats;
Excessive film thickness or "piling on" of heavy/wet coats;
Too much air movement causing surface to "skin over" before solvents evaporate;
Excessive purge/flash time before force drying. REPAIR

Allow finish to thoroughly dry/cure, sand smooth and refinish. Inspect surface carefully to ensure all craters have been removed.
Severe popping will require removal of the affected film. Prime, seal and recoat, as necessary. PREVENTION

Select recommended thinner/reducer based on temperature, humidity, air movement and size of repair;
Allow for proper flash time between coats.
Avoid "piling on" or double wet coats.
Restrict air movement over the surface being painted.
Avoid extended purge/flash time before force drying.
NOTE: Fine dust particles that fall on a tacky surface can be encapsulated by the wet film, cre-ating an appearance almost identical to solvent pop. This "solvent pop" appearance usually occurs on vehicles that are removed from the booth in a somewhat tacky condi-tion and placed in another location to dry. Fine dust contamination can be removed by sanding and polishing. However, If the condition is solvent pop, the finish will contain pinholes or small craters after being sanded. http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/reference/troubleshooting_guide/photo_image/SolventA_photo.jpg http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/reference/troubleshooting_guide/vector_image/Solvent.jpg

ScottB
07-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Ive actually seen that many times before, especially after non-quality repainting. Never knew its title ... thanks !

sohail99
08-22-2010, 03:18 AM
OMG! I noticed that a repainted panel on my car is also showing 'solvent pop'!!!

Any ideas how to go about repairing them or do I have to get it resprayed again!?:cry:

Some pics of the affected panel

BobbyG
08-22-2010, 06:57 AM
A little more from the Dupont website

Paint Defects Solution Guide, Solvent Pop | DuPont Performance Coatings - appp20.asp.dupont.com (http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/visitor/s/trouble/PDSG_SolventPop.html)

TLMitchell
08-22-2010, 01:11 PM
After some close inspection he was able to identify the little speck -like-things in my finish. They were not "road rash", "acid rain" or dust but what he called "SOLVENT POP " . The specks are really craters or depressions that was caused by the drying of the paint at one point.. Only way to fix it would be to wet sand the hood...

I ran into this on a black Hyundai. I first noticed it on the hood when I was touching up chips a few weeks prior to a polish. Being lady-driven by someone that wouldn't think twice about driving a freshly detailed vehicle down a dirt road or following close behind a gravel truck oblivious to the stones ping-ponging off the hood I chalked it up to following a sand truck or something similar, that's what it looked like on the finish. When polishing under the lights I noticed it on pillars and the sides where you just wouldn't get chips or marring though.

These pinholes appeared to be down to the primer. I thought about wet sanding but realized you'd have to take it down to almost removing the base coat to get smooth so gave a shrug and forgot about it. Just for grins I did a small spot with the Dr. Colorchip I used on the peppered front end and the appearance was improved somewhat. The owner never noticed the hundreds of stone chips all over the front end so I figured she'd be oblivious to the solvent pop. If it were new and it were mine I would've gone through the roof though!

TL

sohail99
08-22-2010, 04:18 PM
I'll catch hold of a bodyshop guy, lets see what he has to say/do!

Thanks for the link BobbyG :D