PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on DA buffer for motorcycles

detailaddict
04-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Hi guys, i hope somebody can help me i have been detailing all my own motorcycles and my clients bikes all by hand for the last few years, and now i am looking into DA machine buffers. has anybody had experience with motorcycles and machine polishing and could you guys recommend me a machine small enough to use on bikes mainly? i enjoy hand polishing as it seems to develop a connection with each bike, but sometimes time is an issue as i detail after my regular job. also deep scratching needs that little "extra" elbow grease huge thanks in advance to anybody who cares to reply! Feed back please

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-09-2014, 08:57 AM
The small Griots Garage 3" machine is great for polishing intricate areas of a motorcycle. Your best bet is to equip it with 3" pads. This will allow you to get into all areas of the bike.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
04-09-2014, 08:57 AM
I have the 3" Griots machine with Orange, White, & Black pads. I just tape surrounding areas for protection. Makes quick work for compounding, polishing, and applying LSP.

As for chrome, Mother`s power balls.

Hope this helps.

EVOlved
04-09-2014, 08:58 AM
I would be looking mainly into the rupes 75e mini. If that's too big of a dive you could go to GG 3". The mini will be easier to cut with but both will make much quicker work than doing it by hand.

tuscarora dave
04-09-2014, 08:59 AM
I've used a Makita rotary with 3" and 4" pads with success in the past. Used a Porter Cable style DA polisher with various size pads. I have a small pistol grip pneumatic rotary polisher that I use with 3" pads that works really well for bikes. Recently I was looking at some of the pneumatic polishers offered by Dynabrade that look like they'd be a perfect match for motorcycle detailing.

detailaddict
04-10-2014, 01:33 AM
Hey guys thanks for the advice! all of those units look great. the griots sounds pretty awesome but some AG forum users complain about being underpowered? i like the look of the griots pads too as they look thicker and less likely to knock surrounding areas! rupes orbitals look pretty awesome too maybe i need all of them mwahahaaa! another possible problem i live in australia do these orbitals com with a power adaptor or just a U.S power plug does anybody know?"
thanks once again guys happy detailing!

trekkeruss
04-10-2014, 01:56 AM
For Rupes polishers, you might check with the Australian distributor for retailers near you.

HateSwirls
04-10-2014, 03:21 AM
I use my DeWalt 849x with three and four inch pads but as you know it's a rotary so I didn't really answer your question:(

I'm sure using a DA along with some 3-4" pads would work great.
I'd go with either the Porter Cable or the Griot's 6" DA, I would think you be better off compared to using the smaller Griots DA, less power.