PDA

View Full Version : Removing Scratches from Glossy Interior Trim

Auggie
04-09-2014, 08:33 AM
I've got super glossy faux wood trim that has minute scratches. I tried plastic polish by hand along with a coat of carnauba wax but the scratches remain.

What is the next level I can go to remove these annoying scratches that are highlighted by sunlight? I am assuming a powered device would be the next step...

wdmaccord
04-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Do you have pics?

Auggie
04-09-2014, 09:53 AM
I can post pix later today but none of the minute hairline scratches catches my finger nail nor are they visible unless under bright light and at certain angles.

jamesboyy
04-09-2014, 10:27 AM
I would just leave it be snice you can only at certain times but if you insits You may have to sand it with 3000 or higher girt sandpaper but if you do proceed with caution and after sanding polish the trim by hand with a combo meguiars m105/m205

Mike Phillips
04-09-2014, 10:30 AM
This topic is covered in this thread.... find my posts that explain what is required to remove scratches out of interior trim.

Don't scan, find the relevant posts and read.

How to Remove Hair line scratches on Wood Trim? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/29615-how-remove-hair-line-scratches-wood-trim.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Auggie
04-09-2014, 10:42 AM
It's the center console top trim in my BMW, and being a large piece and almost always in the sunlight, I see the scratches every time I look down at it in the day.

I will first try the M105+M205 without sanding. I assume you recommend hand polishing it. Otherwise, I'm not sure how to secure it to my workbench to use my Flex on it.

Auggie
04-09-2014, 10:50 AM
This topic is covered in this thread.... find my posts that explain what is required to remove scratches out of interior trim.

Thanks Mike! I will certainly read that thread thoroughly for techniques applicable to my situation.

BTW, I've got several 3" pads of different cutting designs along with different grades of polishes on order. These are for working on several headlights I've got lying around that I want to sell, so I could use those pads on the trim removed from the car...