PDA

View Full Version : Why are pad washers so expensive?!

Pages : [1] 2

trekkeruss
04-08-2014, 11:47 PM
I have no doubt they work, but they seem wildly overpriced. I'd buy one if it was $40 or so, but I'd feel like a fool paying $135 for one. I mean, a PC DA costs less, and it requires a hellalot more engineering and manufacturing to make a polisher than a plastic bucket with some other plastic bits and bobbles.

refreshauto
04-08-2014, 11:54 PM
:iagree:

makes no sense why they are so expensive

jamesboyy
04-08-2014, 11:56 PM
Its a question that does not have an answer though the good news is if your handy then you can build one like myself and others did cause we felt the price was way too high also here's the link

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/77389-diy-pad-washer.html

iBoost
04-09-2014, 12:10 AM
I agree. Can't wait for someone to make one available at a reasonable price.

BrianMcLeod
04-09-2014, 12:29 AM
Same here I would pay for one around $60 bucks looks like I'll make one

Setec Astronomy
04-09-2014, 05:23 AM
This is the one I like, because it separates the clean/dirty solution, which is better for occasional users...but the member who reviewed it said his Flex wouldn't fit, and besides it sprayed water out the sides...and it's $170!!

Detailer’s System 3000 Deluxe Pad Washer (http://www.autogeek.net/system-3000-pad-washer.html)

It seems like a lot of engineering went into it...but not much testing? Since one of the most popular polishers won't fit, and apparently whatever polisher you use sprays water out the side.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/73123-review-detailer-s-system-3000-deluxe-pad-washer.html?highlight=system+3000

Didn't seem to be any response to those issues from AG or Lake Country.

I guess one of the reasons they are expensive is there are a lot of expensive injection molds for parts that they don't really make many of. Of course, it could just be that they are charging for the convenience...like when you are in Target looking at the plastic storage containers...is there really $10 of plastic in there, or are you paying for the organization of your belongings?

Angus
04-09-2014, 07:27 AM
$135 is the perfect price - I'm not tempted to buy one for that much!

BuckeyeR/T
04-09-2014, 07:39 AM
I am so glad I'm not the only one that has questioned the price of these things. How much does it cost to mold a piece of plastic than charge as much as some DA polishers? But, at the end of the day if people will pay for it why stop.

Evan.J
04-09-2014, 07:43 AM
I have the universal pad washer and I love it. I bought it when it was on sale but man I will not go without it. Makes my jobs easier, makes pad cleaning and maintaining much easier, speeds up my process, and it very convenient to use and take on a job.

While it may seem expensive to a person who does it as a hobby, its certainly with the price tag for someone like me who does this for money. Keeping my pads clean and usable for as long as possible means less money I have to spend on replacing them.

JSou
04-09-2014, 07:47 AM
Saves me time and time=money. They work great to keep your pads clean and quickly.

I don't mind paying the price.

richy
04-09-2014, 07:48 AM
I had one years ago and sold it. I have never missed it one bit.

doogeem3
04-09-2014, 08:03 AM
They charge that much money because they can!

Dimsho
04-09-2014, 08:20 AM
its simple.. stop buying them at this cost.

HD.Detailing
04-09-2014, 08:25 AM
autogeek should give one away

Calendyr
04-09-2014, 08:46 AM
I did not buy a pad washer last year when I was purchasing all I needed for detailling because I felt it was too expensive for a bucket with a grit guard and a small water pump. Now, I must admit not doing so have made me waste so much time washing pads that I will very likelly purchase one in the days to come. I really liked the design of the one Ammo NYC is using. I think it's called the detailler's cart or something like that where the pad washer is on a mobile cart where you have room for your Tools and products as well as the pad washer. That is very likelly what I will buy.