PDA

View Full Version : armor all damage?

Pages : [1] 2

jonn127
04-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Im working on a leather interior with black leather that appears to have a chalky appearance. Could this be caused by armor all? Is it dried out? Sorry I don't have any pictures.

Rsurfer
04-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Im working on a leather interior with black leather that appears to have a chalky appearance. Could this be caused by armor all? Is it dried out? Sorry I don't have any pictures.

What makes you think it's Armor All? Have you had any personal bad experiences with Armor All?

jonn127
04-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Personally no. I've just heard people mention armor all drying things out. And I say armor all, I mean any cheap type of dressing......

FUNX650
04-08-2014, 01:55 PM
I've never, ever, seen damages...of any kind whatsoever...caused by ArmorAll!!

Why people keep propagating these typical ArmorAll falsehoods/myths is beyond me!?!? :nomore:

Bob

Rsurfer
04-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Personally no. I've just heard people mention armor all drying things out. And I say armor all, I mean any cheap type of dressing......

IMO it's the lack of care and not the dressing thats causing the problem. Years ago AA did have a bad rap for cracking some dash boards.

jonn127
04-08-2014, 01:59 PM
It's a 2013 town & Country.

jonn127
04-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Lol, Bob I'm sorry man I'm not a chemist so I don't know for sure. Just the way I've heard it explained to me before makes sense.

Desertnate
04-08-2014, 02:10 PM
I've never, ever, seen damages...of any kind whatsoever...caused by ArmorAll!!

Why people keep propagating these typical ArmorAll falsehoods/myths is beyond me!?!? :nomore:

Bob

I don't know about their product today, but I had a horrible time with their stuff back in the late '90s/early '00s.

When applying it to the black interior in the car I owned at the time, it would look great for a couple of days and then rapidly take on a dry, faded, almost gray appearance. As time went on, its ability to restore the like-new appearance started to lessen and my interior looked aged and weathered all the time. This went on for about two years. After getting frustrated, I switched Vinylex and the change was surprising. After a few months the faded/dry look was gone and never returned, no matter how long I went between applications.

I've used other products like Meguiars and 303 since that time, and none of them had the same effect. I'll never go back.

jonn127
04-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Ok so maybe I started out this thread completely wrong. Maybe it should have been, what could cause a cars interior to appear to dry out in only a year?

FUNX650
04-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Lol, Bob I'm sorry man I'm not a chemist so I don't know for sure. Just the way I've heard it explained to me before makes sense.
I'd be curious as to:
Just exactly how it was explained to you?

Bob

FUNX650
04-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Ok so maybe I started out this thread completely wrong. Maybe it should have been, what could cause a cars interior to appear to dry out in only a year?
There you go!!

-The plasticizers have probably been out-gassing.
-The bombardment of UV-rays has, too often, exceeded the limit of the built-in UV-rays inhibitors of the auto-glass.

Just a couple of likely reasons.

I think that:
This would be a good time to provide some "Armor"!! :D

Bob

jonn127
04-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Very similar to the way desertnate explained it above. Works at first but then needs applied more and more often cause it's getting dried out more and more each time you use it, then it gets to the point where everything is so dried out it cracks. That's the dumb version.

dfoxengr
04-08-2014, 03:24 PM
You sure it doesnt just need a very good cleaning with something like 1z plastic cleaner or a dedicated leather cleaner? Thats what it sounds like.

jonn127
04-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Well the leather didn't appear to be dirty as so much dried out with some great patches. My best guess now is that someone used a harsh cleaner.

sluggoZ
04-08-2014, 04:01 PM
I don't know about their product today, but I had a horrible time with their stuff back in the late '90s/early '00s.

When applying it to the black interior in the car I owned at the time, it would look great for a couple of days and then rapidly take on a dry, faded, almost gray appearance. As time went on, its ability to restore the like-new appearance started to lessen and my interior looked aged and weathered all the time. This went on for about two years. After getting frustrated, I switched Vinylex and the change was surprising. After a few months the faded/dry look was gone and never returned, no matter how long I went between applications.

I've used other products like Meguiars and 303 since that time, and none of them had the same effect. I'll never go back.

I agree with you too! Back in the 80's vinyl would crack!